A3 TDi 140 re-map at Motech

bryston

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought i would share with you my experience of using Mike at Motech Performance - spot on basically!

I had read a reasonable amount on the subject by using this forum and others and was tempted by the deal Mike had availalble (£250 all in reduced from £399) plus only a short'ish drive to get there.

It is now at about 180BHP and the car pulls right across the rev range whereas previously it ran out of breath at 3000rpm. It is much more responsive and picks up very nicely from about 1400rpm - it really is a pleasure to drive now.

Mike did an initial read of the car to make sure it was problem free - then emailed the current map off - had a cup of coffee - the new map was emailed back and loaded to car - job done. They did not use a rolling road with the ECO map by the way!

We took the car for a 15 minute drive with Mike explaining where and when the extra power would begin to creep in e.g. at 50% throttle and 50% load. Hence when you potter about town with a light foot you won't feel the power or use extra fuel - but floor it and you are off!!!

I have noticed that the turbo whistle starts a little earlier - maybe 1300 revs and sounds similar to an ambulance siren from a distance. It is quite faint to be honest (but i did notice it quite soon afterwards) and i guess it is just more air entering the turbo sooner in order to deliver more power.

Anyway - I hope this helps others decide to proceed with a re-map as my experience was very good.

Cheers :)

Still gotta get my Flywheel ( + Clutch) before I do the remap =( Fs it's so expensive

For £250 sounds brill and its the sort of map I also need. How's the MPG when ur in a rush around town and A roads ?

Not had much of a chance to play with it - as immediately after the map i got the flu and felt too ill to go out.

Will feedback more next weekend when i know more

Cheers

Take it you got a dyno printout to show ?

It is now at about 180BHP and the car pulls right across the rev range whereas previously it ran out of breath at 3000rpm. It is much more responsive and picks up very nicely from about 1400rpm - it really is a pleasure to drive now.

:)
How did your car run out of breath at 3000rpm as that is before the engine even reaches peak power ? See HERE

Well - maybe not 3000 - but certainly by 4000rpm. In comparison it does pull much more strongly at all rpm. What I used to notice was i would change gear at say 4000rpm and the needle drop to 3000'ish - there would then be some lag (felt like 1 seconds-worth) and then the power very slowly crept in - this was frustrating and a bit lame IMO.

The new map has no lag and the power just pulls - but hey, the car is new to me (November '08) so i am just excited and very happy the map and car are both doing well :)

Cheers