A3 TDI 1.6 TDI and 2.0TDI (140PS) Dual Mass Flywheel

matt_g02

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a diesel A3, I made a post a couple of months ago asking about the best engine to get for an 8P and have came to the conclusion a diesel will last the longest, but, I was curious as to how common a dual mass flywheel failure is on these engines, my dads T5 Caravelle has the 140 PS TDI engine which had a DMF failure, although thats pushing 251 lbs/ft compared to the A3's 236 lbs/ft. Am I correct that out of these 2, the 1.6 is less prone to DMF failure?

What exactly do you mean by dual mass flywheel failure?
I think sudden total failure of the flywheel is rare.
In the case of my 140 bhp A3 , the clutch release bearing became extremely noisy at 173K miles and so a new clutch kit was fitted to replace the factory original .
When everything was apart , it was decided the DMF was worn so that was replaced too.
When I had the car back I noticed that a juddering sort of vibration that had always been present before at about 1400 RPM in 3rd had gone , I bought the car at 110K miles so I think the flywheel had been ageing for quite a long time.....but had still been going strong......

What exactly do you mean by dual mass flywheel failure?
I think sudden total failure of the flywheel is rare.
In the case of my 140 bhp A3 , the clutch release bearing became extremely noisy at 173K miles and so a new clutch kit was fitted to replace the factory original .
When everything was apart , it was decided the DMF was worn so that was replaced too.
When I had the car back I noticed that a juddering sort of vibration that had always been present before at about 1400 RPM in 3rd had gone , I bought the car at 110K miles so I think the flywheel had been ageing for quite a long time.....but had still been going strong......

By failure I do mean instant/sudden, it must be rare as I can't seem to find anything about them failing suddenly online, perhaps it was just a 1 in a million failure with my dads T5, then again, its pushing more lbs/ft, but that probably has little to no correlation as to what happened, I just wanted to ask around on forums as he seems to against (but not entirely) me getting a 2.0 TDI.

Fair enough , but my A3 has a Superchips re-map fitted and so is probably pushing 170-180bhp.
Like I said, it was only a noisy release bearing that forced all the work at 173K miles and everything clutch and flywheel-related appeared fine.
The juddering had been present ever since I bought the car (before the re-map) and so that is why I think the DMF’s do wear as the miles pile up....

By failure I do mean instant/sudden, it must be rare as I can't seem to find anything about them failing suddenly online, perhaps it was just a 1 in a million failure with my dads T5, then again, its pushing more lbs/ft, but that probably has little to no correlation as to what happened, I just wanted to ask around on forums as he seems to against (but not entirely) me getting a 2.0 TDI.
You probably had a clutch cylinder failure, not the flywheel and out of curtesy replaced the lot