A3 stronic small issue

ryan-westlondon

Reaction score
Hi

Recently got myself a beautiful to drive 11plate a3 1.4tfsi stronic (first auto I've owned)

39k mileage

Anyway to cut a long story short, it seems every now n then at around say 15mph aaround 2nd gear the car seems to struggle to move into gear, not smooth. It only does this in this range of speed /gear. Never higher.

Would it be a case of "yep definitely the stronic oil needs changin", or possibly something else? It's under warranty for another two months, so any big issues I couldgget resolved under it.

It's at 39k miles and audi state it needs changing at 40k, does this sound normal for oil that needs changing? I'd take it to a really good audi/vw garage I know in Staines (lakeside) who say they'll do it for £150

Just wanting to rule out any other possible issue really, as I honestly don't know too much about cars and only researched stronic issues on places like here.

Thanks for reading!

You need to get the oil changed anyway & £150 is half the price I was quoted by my local dealer, so get it done and see if the problem goes away.

P.S: I've found on a few occasions that I've pulled away a little quicker than usual and then have to slow down after 50 or so yards it can get caught in two minds of whether to change up or down and ends up hanging onto first or second a while longer than usual

The oil does make a big difference to how smooth it changes gear and it is highly recommended that it is changed at 40k as infrequent oil changes are what destroys these boxes!

The oil does make a big difference to how smooth it changes gear and it is highly recommended that it is changed at 40k as infrequent oil changes are what destroys these boxes!

ok thanks, I'll sort out the oil change asap. Drove it a few times today with the window down, it clearly shudders/shakes when changing into second gear only. Everything else is absolutely fine. The more you accelerate the bigger the shudder.

I'm hoping the oil change will sort this, may speak to the dealer about possibly paying towards it. I had an aircon issue and they paid out for a full aircon service so worth a go

Thanks

edit: Been reading about this 'second gear' stronic / dsg issue, apparently it could be the flywheel / new clutch pack/ new mechatronics / or a combination of all three! Might end up bringing it to Audi and see what they say

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a 2010 1.4Tfsi SB with S-Tronic and have recently had a letter from Audi reference a recall on the S-Tronic box. Requires oil change from synthetic to mineral or the other way round. Anyway my car is booked in to get this done (free of charge) there are other things done at the same time to do with the software. So if I was you I would ask about the recall before you go paying for an oil change.

Cheers

Colin

Aren't these dry clutches and don't require oil?

I just checked and you're right, thanks for clarifying. So if it's not the oil, I'm dreading to think it's the clutch or flywheel I keep reading about. I'm covered for a remaining 2 months warranty from a very helpful dealer when I had an aircon issue last. I've emailed themaanyway to give me a call on Monday as to what action to take next. I visit to audi looks like it then.

Mine is out of warranty. This is a recall so it is all done free of charge. No warranty needed.

this recall you guys are talking about refers to wet clutch (6 speeds?) - mines the 7 speed dry without oil.

I'll speak to Audi on Monday about bringing it in for review

Possibly engine\gearbox mounts sh@gged? I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm\deny.

According to owners on VW and Skoda forums who have the identical issue on their DSG, it involved either a new clutch pack, new mechatronic, or both. Only when shifting from first to second does it judder. But only after running the car for say 20mins in, from cold it's absolutely fine and shifts seamlessly.

Dealer warranty I have runs out in 2 months, will definitely get extended warranty as long as the stronic is covered. Had a few checks and audis own is cheaper than warranty direct/wise

No mine is a 7 speed S-tronic with paddle shift. It is booked in for this Thursday. Customer Satisfaction Campaign 34F4.
Synthetic oil changed to Mineral oil.

Cheers

Colin

No mine is a 7 speed S-tronic with paddle shift. It is booked in for this Thursday. Customer Satisfaction Campaign 34F4.
Synthetic oil changed to Mineral oil.

Cheers

Colin

Spoke to Audi this morning and they did indeed say mine needs the same done free of charge, they will asses the vibration also if it doesn't rectify after the oil change.

Soonest date I could get is August 20th though, Audi West London. (some other dealers were saying September!)

just to update - car was picked up from home yesterday and dropped back same day by Audi Walton. Recall of changing the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral was done, along with an update to the stronic.

No charge and a nice free wash on return.

However the problem remains having driven the car today, back to Audi it goes.