A3 Sportback - Technology Package or Bang & Olufsen Sound System ?

Chester Draws

Reaction score
Newbie here , my first post on this forum so please be gentle !

I am off to Portsmouth Audi tomorrow to sit in the new Sportback which they have for the weekend. I believe it is going to Guildford Audi for next weekend if that info is of use. I think it is a left hooker though.

Anyway, my question is as per the post , if I can only afford one or the other which one to go for . Do I take the freebie satnav that is on special offer at present and add the B&O or just go for the Tech pack ?

Thoughts / comments most welcome.

Chester

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Hope you enjoy the forum:) x

I wonder if it's the same one that was at Audi Five Oaks this week - Beluga Brown I think. It was a LHD. Very lovely nevertheless :).

I'm sorry I didn't get pics, only thought to after I'd left!

Welcome Chester.

Depends what the tech pack costs & includes, more info would help an honest opinion please :)

Personally you have to weigh up the benefits to you.
For me i like my music, so would go for the sound system then the tech pack.

I guess when you are in the car you spend more time with your eyes on road and listening to the radio/music.

The benefit of the tech pack is bigger screen and 3D maps and touch interface, you still get the smaller screen and command dial as standard with car, plus USB/SD as standard.

Just to clarify, the "touch interface" is on the top of the MMI wheel - the screen isn't touch regardless of tech pack or otherwise (and nor would I want it to be, despite loads of people seemingly criticising Audi for not using touch screens).

Thank you for your comments.

I am now wondering if the B&O system is better suited to the HDD tuner rather than the standard spec tuner. Is it a bit over kill ?

Standard in SE model

5.8” QVGA colour display screen – electrically extending, slim line design

8 passive speakers in total, at the front and rear with a total output of 80 Watts

MMI Radio which includes:
- Single CD player and two SDXC memory card readers (up to 2TB) which are both MP3, WMA and AAC compatible
- MMI control panel
- FM and AM (MW) reception
- 50-station memory with dynamic station list
- Speed-dependent volume control
- TP memo, which automatically saves traffic news when driving

Audi Music Interface (AMI) – provides connection to Apple iPod from 4th generation and Apple iPhone, as well as USB storage media and MP3 players. Located in the centre console and operated using the MMI control panel, multi-function steering wheel or voice control

Bluetooth interface – for hands-free mobile phone connectivity and Bluetooth audio streaming (depending on compatibility of mobile phone)

Driver’s Information System (DIS) – 3.5” monochrome display in the dashboard binnacle.
The DIS shows the radio frequency/station or track title, telephone control menu and other display information from the infotainment system such as navigation (if fitted). Includes an on-board trip computer with short and long-term trip memory, outside temperature display, digital speedometer and door or boot-open warning. Also includes a rest recommendation system which monitors steering movements and pedal usage and warns the driver when a rest might be required

Preparation for SD card based navigation system – allows maps to be retro-fitted using parts from Audi Genuine Accessories
Voice control system – for key telephone and radio functions

Standard in sport and s-line model in addition to SE model
Audio and communication
Colour Driver’s Information System – same functionality as the Driver Information System (DIS) but with a high-resolution colour display

Optional
Audi sound system.
10 speakers in total including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the spare wheel well. 6-channel amplifier with a total output of 180 watts

Bang & Olufsen sound system.
Surround sound reproduction via 14 high-performance speakers including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the spare wheel well. 15-channel amplifier with a total output of 705 watts. Exclusive speaker covers with aluminium applications and LED lighting accentuating the front woofers. The sound is permanently adapted to compensate for driving and background noises determined by a microphone. 5.1 surround sound reproduction is possible when ordered in conjunction with Technology package

Thank you for your comments.

I am now wondering if the B&O system is better suited to the HDD tuner rather than the standard spec tuner. Is it a bit over kill ?

your welcome.

B&O is always going to be the best sound option, not sure what you mean by HDD.... (i know its a hard drive, but in what relation to the sound system)

It might be a good idea to go listen the system, take a CD of your choice and use the same tracks in a car with B&O and one with something else, ask your self is it worth the extra money or sacrifice of something else? will it make that difference to you?

I am aware of the specs from the website. I cannot see any mention as to the tuner spec that comes as standard . I see the HDD tuner is a triple tuner etc so was wondering if the basic Audi audio upgrade is a better match with the standard head unit

Chester

Ahh, Portsmouth Audi- my local dealer.... You might see me around in my 3 door, glacier white S-Line! I'm pretty certain it is the only one around!!

I am aware of the specs from the website. I cannot see any mention as to the tuner spec that comes as standard . I see the HDD tuner is a triple tuner etc so was wondering if the basic Audi audio upgrade is a better match with the standard head unit

Chester

no idea to be honest. maybe someone else can help, or the local audi dealer.

Vertigo,

the Tech Pack tuner is a triple tuner with phase diversity according to the blurb, I suppose I am asking how this compares against the standard head unit

chester