A3 Sportback Sport (2005) - All door lights not working?

Max Ivory

A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 FSI
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can offer any advice, but I just bought a 2005 A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 FSI. Lovely car overall in great condition, but annoyingly have just noticed that none of the door courtesy lights are working. Neither the red indicators or white puddle lights. The sensors all seem to be okay as all doors indicate correctly on instrument panel when open/closed. Seems v unlikely that all 8 bulbs would have blown.

Is this likely to be a fuse thing, or some kind of wiring issue? It would be great to get the lights working again.. any pointers appreciated.

Cheers all!
Bill

Last edited:
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can offer any advice, but I just bought a 2005 A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 FSI. Lovely car overall in great condition, but annoyingly have just noticed that none of the door courtesy lights are working. Neither the red indicators or white puddle lights. The sensors all seem to be okay as all doors indicate correctly on instrument panel when open/closed. Seems v unlikely that all 8 bulbs would have blown.

Is this likely to be a fuse thing, or some kind of wiring issue? It would be great to get the lights working again.. any pointers appreciated.

Cheers all!
Bill

They usually aren't real lights mate, they're reflectors unless your option codes say you have courtesy door open / puddle lights (Interior Lighting Pack)

There are threads to retrofit them on here. Needs a bit of work and coding from vcds. Pop one of your red edge reflectors out and see, likely there's nothing behind it. Mine are fake and it's an S-Line. They're optional only I think so if not ordered from new, it's retrofit time!

Thanks for the quick reply mate, that would probably explain it then!

Thing is I had an 2002 A3 Sport 1.8T previously which had them, so I guess I'd assumed it was standard on this model. But that makes sense, as the new car doesn't have the map light or vanity/visor light either. Never mind. I may treat myself and see what it costs to have them put in, as if you are a cyclist (like me) then the red door warning lights can be a life saver at night.

ps. Also the glovebox light isn't working but I'm hoping that's just a bulb change ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply mate, that would probably explain it then!

I may treat myself and see what it costs to have them put in, as if you are a cyclist (like me) then the red door warning lights can be a life saver at night.

If you do decide to have a go, kits are available online from the likes of EBay or on this site and they’re easy enough to fit.
My Sportback had the full interior lighting package specified from new but surprisingly the factory spec didn’t include rear footwell lights , just the fronts .....
When I priced up the cost of all the Audi connectors and light fittings and all the hassle of making them etc it was cost-effective to buy a proprietary kit for my footwell looms (I used RobinA3 on here who makes them) and they were a doddle to fit and were OEM- quality too.

Reactions: RobinA3
Yeah @RobinA3 gets rave reviews for his harnesses for this upgrade, if you click his name in this post you can send him a PM. Well worth a go.

And the glovebox light probably will just be a lamp replacement. I was miffed to find mine were fake too....bit of a swizz that!

Reactions: RobinA3
Hi,

Cheers all!
Bill

Bill it is very unlikely that all your bulbs have blown, each door will have 2 bulbs so for all 8 bulbs to blow at the same time is unlikely.

As someone else has suggested you need to find out if you have the puddle lights fitted, just look at the bottom of the door card to see if you have a white light. The red 'light' at the end of the door card is just a red plastic reflector and is not a light.

I can supply kits for your car which includes the loom, puddle and warning light - just drop me a message if you are interested.

Bill it is very unlikely that all your bulbs have blown, each door will have 2 bulbs so for all 8 bulbs to blow at the same time is unlikely.

As someone else has suggested you need to find out if you have the puddle lights fitted, just look at the bottom of the door card to see if you have a white light. The red 'light' at the end of the door card is just a red plastic reflector and is not a light.

I can supply kits for your car which includes the loom, puddle and warning light - just drop me a message if you are interested.

Thanks Robin, I'll take a look. Got some other niggles to sort out first, but may come back to do the door lights so will be in touch if I need anything.. Be interested to know the cost of parts etc, feel free to PM me.