A3 Sportback Roof Rails/Bars

cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
HI All....

Anybody know if you can retrofit the Chrome Roof Rails/Bars to a 2007 A3 Sportback ???

Wish i had factory ordered them now but was trying to keep the costs down ........

Cheers
Clive

I think you'd need to drill some holes... I wouldn't like to try.

cliveywolves said:
HI All....

Anybody know if you can retrofit the Chrome Roof Rails/Bars to a 2007 A3 Sportback ???

Wish i had factory ordered them now but was trying to keep the costs down ........

Cheers
Clive

I have them fitted to mine and had a good nosey at them out of curiosity as to how they are fitted. There are no fixings visible from the exterior at all and thus considering the load that could be placed on them I assume they must be bolted from the inside under the roof lining.

Not a job for the faint hearted!!!

The roof rails are attached to the roof using 4 special bolts,
these are fixed through the 4 holes drilled at the factory when they are fitted, to retrofit them you would need to remove the side curtian airbags to get access to the bolts to tighten them up and you would also need to drill the roof panel which would them void your corrision warrenty

cheers
Andy

I'd speak to MarriedBlonde he might be able to get you some at a reasonable price from his supplier!!

i guess if you are only using them for...'decorative purposes' (they do look good though!) then it might be possible to use some sort of adhessive

Definitely not an item to retrofit IMO.

Just out of interest why do you want them. Beuaty is in the eye of the beholder but I think they look horrible, spoil the lines of the car and give it an estate car look. I'd pay to have them removed.

Is it possible to retro-fit them to the open-sky system, as there is the glass panels aligned for the space on the roof?

Nelson_Wilbury said:
That'll be why Audi make an Official Retrofit kit for them then...?

Just becaue they make a kit doesn't mean the time, effort, cost and risk makes it worthwhile for the end result... IMO. Obviously you think differently because you value the look of roof bars.

Was in WHSmith the other day, and there is some Audi drivers magazine,a nd has an article on roof bars,a nd how the A3 ones are fitted, which is basically through the roof, then some beam underneath?