A3 Sportback -> A4 Avant?

benw123

Reaction score
Currently I drive a 54-plate A3 Sportback 2.0TDI, and my wife and I are expecting our first child this August.

Recently, we had a baby seat test fitting, and, at the same time, asked the staff to bring along the buggy we've ordered to make sure it fits the boot. It did - but with the basket in as well, it was a very tight fit, and so we've been wondering about trading up to an A4 Avant for extra space.

So before I go and tyre-kick one I just wondered what owners' opinions - particularly those with families - were of the Avant. I understand it's a lifestyle estate, and certainly the boot appears bigger, but is it really worth the hassle and extra expense to change cars?

I've seen plenty of facelifted 2.0TDI SE Avants (05 and 55 plates) at around £19-£20k which would be the model we'd go for. Any feedback/thoughts would be welcome!

Not quite the same as you but I've gone from a Sportback to an A4 Cab and I'd say whatever you go for make sure its a B7. They drive soooo much better than the B6. Overall I'm very pleased with the cab. Much more refined and the seats are considerably better than the Sportback.

Having recently changed from an A3 3 door to an A4 Avant for similar reasons for me the A4 wins by miles. It just seems more sophisticated (I am getting on a bit in years!!), the SE has a nice balance between comfort and fun and the extra space whilst not huge is welcome. The biggest revelation was the 2.0T FSI engine, fantastic mid range response but still revs to 7000, 35 mpg on every day use is the down side which I suspect is at least 10mpg worse than the 2.0TDI, but I think its worth it.

I'm in a similar position (albeit for a hound rather than baby).

Currently got an A3 3dr and was thinking about the A4 avant 2.0 tdi S-Line. I'd really like the saloon but don't fancy a springer spaniel leaping all over the back seats...

However at the age of 32 I'm not sure I can face buying an estate.

Eeef said:
However at the age of 32 I'm not sure I can face buying an estate.
Eeef, I turned 29 six weeks ago! But I think the A4 Avant is still pretty desirable, particularly as you say in S-Line trim.

I fancy an S4 Avant, keep having a look on Autotrader. A springer will easy fit in the boot, but little else with it. I've got a GSP and my dad has a springer and they both fit in.

A4's are worlds apart from A3's.

For me, A3 SB has a bit of an identity crisis, it does neither A3 or A4 tasks well.

I have gone from a MKIV golf to a s-line A3 sportback and find it much bigger than the old golf.
We have one 6 month old child .
I drove the A4 and A3 sportback and didnt see much in difference. The boot was alot bigger in the A4 but couldnt see much else.

The 3 door A3 I drove did feel smaller getting in and out the back. Even felt darker in the back and so made it feel smaller.

I like the sportback because you still can drop the back seat and fit alot more in than a A4 when the seats dropped down.

Its a hard choice A4 or sportback I felt.

I have just gone from A3 3dr S-Line to A4 Avant S-Line both with 2.0TDi. The A4 is definitely the more mature car - both in terms of the fact that it's a better sorted vehicle (build quality, those small touches) and it suits a 45 yr old!! The reason I changed - seats in the A3 gave me sciatica and teenagers wingeing about not being able to get inthe back. Overall I'm well pleased.

Some useful comments there - thanks guys. Time to go and have a look at one I think.

Penport said:
I have just gone from A3 3dr S-Line to A4 Avant S-Line both with 2.0TDi. The A4 is definitely the more mature car - both in terms of the fact that it's a better sorted vehicle (build quality, those small touches) and it suits a 45 yr old!! The reason I changed - seats in the A3 gave me sciatica and teenagers wingeing about not being able to get inthe back. Overall I'm well pleased.

Was that an A3 or Sportback you had?

P.S I'm not that old yet....heheheheh

Eeef - interested to hear what you think - I'm just pleased to be away from the "DSG lurch" - it was really hacking me off towards the end....

There have been lots of posts about this on the A3 forum: scenario - approaching a roundabout, slow down to about 10 mph, suddenly gap appears on roundabout and try to accelerate smoothly - gearbox seems to "think" for a couple of seconds, then finds the right gear and responds. Car ends up drifting along for couple of seconds then goes ... hence the lurch. Only happens in "auto" mode.
The A4 Multitronic (being CVT) has no such problem and just responds to the right foot. A small niggle, but on a couple of occasions I nearly got caught out in the A3.

I don't wish to start the Diesel v Petrol discussions but I was completely smitten with the 2.0T when driven back to back with the 2.0TDI, give it a try. Obviously it will never be in the same league fuel economy wise but its very satisfing engine.

Penport said:
There have been lots of posts about this on the A3 forum: scenario - approaching a roundabout, slow down to about 10 mph, suddenly gap appears on roundabout and try to accelerate smoothly - gearbox seems to "think" for a couple of seconds, then finds the right gear and responds. Car ends up drifting along for couple of seconds then goes ... hence the lurch. Only happens in "auto" mode.
The A4 Multitronic (being CVT) has no such problem and just responds to the right foot. A small niggle, but on a couple of occasions I nearly got caught out in the A3.

I think you've been reading Bowfer's posts too much. The majority of us don't have the problem.

Eeef said:
I've got a testdrive in a 2.0tdi A4 Avant Sline Multitronic this Saturday so will report back then.
Please do - I've found a couple of Avants at my local dealer and if I've got time this weekend, I hope to have a look as well.

benw123 said:
Currently I drive a 54-plate A3 Sportback 2.0TDI, and my wife and I are expecting our first child this August.

Recently, we had a baby seat test fitting, and, at the same time, asked the staff to bring along the buggy we've ordered to make sure it fits the boot. It did - but with the basket in as well, it was a very tight fit, and so we've been wondering about trading up to an A4 Avant for extra space.

So before I go and tyre-kick one I just wondered what owners' opinions - particularly those with families - were of the Avant. I understand it's a lifestyle estate, and certainly the boot appears bigger, but is it really worth the hassle and extra expense to change cars?

I've seen plenty of facelifted 2.0TDI SE Avants (05 and 55 plates) at around £19-£20k which would be the model we'd go for. Any feedback/thoughts would be welcome!
Having spent a year with two new arrivals (A3 SB & a kid) I have to say the SB has coped very well. I have only had the odd occasion were I have said "I wish I had a bigger car". We had a A4 AVANT SE while the SB was in getting the steering rack sorted. I was epecting a much larger boot but it didn't seem to be a huge difference. You even loose more space if you have Quattro. There was more room in the cab but it seemed to have a lower quality than the SB. The SB would not surfice with two nippers, definatley with all the supplies they need. If you haven't had your littlen' yet you will find that you take everything around with you to cover all occasions. This will make the SB tiny, it will take 3 months before you decide you need less than a 1/4 of all the stuff!

COLDSTEEL said:
Having spent a year with two new arrivals (A3 SB & a kid) I have to say the SB has coped very well. I have only had the odd occasion were I have said "I wish I had a bigger car". We had a A4 AVANT SE while the SB was in getting the steering rack sorted. I was epecting a much larger boot but it didn't seem to be a huge difference. You even loose more space if you have Quattro. There was more room in the cab but it seemed to have a lower quality than the SB. The SB would not surfice with two nippers, definatley with all the supplies they need. If you haven't had your littlen' yet you will find that you take everything around with you to cover all occasions. This will make the SB tiny, it will take 3 months before you decide you need less than a 1/4 of all the stuff!
Thanks, appreciate your post. We had a look at an A4 Avant (although did not test drive it) and I have to agree the extra space was marginal, even though the access was easier and more level.

My wife started her maternity leave today (she's already bored LOL!) so with just a month to go we've decided to stick with our Sportback for the timebeing. My Mum used to drive my brother and I round in a beige 1977 Mini 1000, so I'm sure we can cope with just one little one!

The S-line looks great, but I recommend a test drive first, as the suspension is bouncy on the motorway and too hard around town (IMHO!).

Next time I won't be having a diesel. Frankly, I hate my 2.0TDI engine. Wash of torque, then flat power then it dies a death. I'm an 'enthusiastic' driver, though. Oddly, I think the TDi would work well with an auto box.

Eeef said:
I think you've been reading Bowfer's posts too much. The majority of us don't have the problem.

God forbid anyone else should speak out against DSG eh ? ;-)

Vee shall be taken outside and shot against ze vall !

(missed this thread,was on holiday).

Doesn't matter what car you have it'll never be big enough. Being limited by the car size is actually quite healthy and makes you a bit more disciplined about what you pack.
But the consensus seems to be the A4 is more refined in both build quality and noise

AndyMac said:
Doesn't matter what car you have it'll never be big enough. Being limited by the car size is actually quite healthy and makes you a bit more disciplined about what you pack.
A lot of my work colleagues who have kids have said the same; one has a Citroen C5 estate which he says is always full, and yet another has a Focus 1.6 Ghia which he reckons is a bit of a squeeze for holidays but otherwise fine.