A3 Sportback (8V) unveiled ahead of Paris Motorshow

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
url

Taken from Autocar Magazine: LINK

The five-door version of the Audi A3 – the Audi A3 Sportback – has been officially revealed ahead of the Paris motor show.

At 4310mm long, the A3 Sportback is 73mm longer than the three-door Audi A3 that’s recently gone on sale in the UK. Its wheelbase, at 2636mm, is 35mm longer than the three-door’s, and 58mm longer than the current A3 Sportback.

The increased wheelbase results in “several more millimetres” of legroom for rear passengers, and Audi says there is room for three adults in the back of the A3 Sportback.

Boot space stands at 380 litres, which is 15 litres more than the three door and 10mm more than the current car. With the rear seats folded down, capacity increases to 1220 litres. Both the three-door A3’s and the current A3 Sportback’s luggage capacity with the seats down is 1100 litres. One feature of the car is the option of LED down-lighting for the boot.

Thanks to a switch to Volkswagen Group’s new MQB platform, the A3 Sportback weighs up to 90kg less than its predecessor. Equipped with the 1.4 TFSI engine, the five-door weighs 30kg more than the equivalent three-door at 1205kg.

Styling wise, the biggest change from three-door A3 to five-door A3 Sportback is the addition of two rear doors. But the rear adopts a tailgate more akin to Audi’s Q models than its traditional hatchbacks.

The engine line-up at launch will mirror the three-door’s, meaning the A3 Sportback will initially be available with 1.4 TFSI and 1.8 TFSI petrol units, and a 2.0 TDI diesel. Trim levels will also mirror the three-door’s.

The A3 Sportback can be bought in the UK for a premium of £620 over the three-door. That means the range will cost between £19,825 to £27,810. UK order books are expected to open soon after Paris, with deliveries likely to commence early next year.

Reactions: RYes3
Exterior looks OK, it's the interior of the new A3 range that I don't like.

Beat me to it! Looks like full Audi promotional pictures have been released and are on this website (36 images in total):

Audi A3 Sportback S-Line (2014)

These pics are more enough to keep my interest from wandering in the direction of other medium hatches / estates. I'll hang on for either a high spec S-Line TDI; ideally with the higher output engine, quattro and S-Tronic (if I go with a company car) or wait even longer for an S3 Sportback (as a private buy).

Some highlights:

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_05.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_0a.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_0d.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_0e.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_10.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_12.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_15.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_17.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_19.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_1a.jpg

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_photo_24.jpg

The 8V mmi screen is shockingly rubbish res, was playing with one other day & I found the mk2 hd a better screen than the new 8V.

The 8V mmi screen is shockingly rubbish res, was playing with one other day & I found the mk2 hd a better screen than the new 8V.

Shame as I've now got used to nice hi-res screen on the 8P Nav+

Seats look a vast improvement, the standard seats in S38P are pretty average and have little in the way of head support. I know I should have bought buckets, but I'm old and fat!

Those "S Line" seats above look like an expensive option to me (perhaps equivalent to buckets in the 8P S3?).

The back end of the car seems to be more raked and have a smaller rear quarter window than the 8P Sportback, brining the style into line with the sleek-looking C7 A6 Avant. I think the 8V looks a less like a mini Avant than the 8P and I hope it doesn't lose the luggage benefits of a squarer rear end. (I know the 8V boot is 10 litres bigger than the 8P, but that's below the parcel shelf and I'm also interested in the space above it as I use my S3 Sportback more like a little estate than a hatchback).

I was hoping that Paris show would also see the unveiling of the S3...

Here's a video of it ....

I do love how they combined the LED light with the indicators. I'm not too sure what that extra white light is thou in the head light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do love how they combined the LED light with the indicators. I'm not too sure what that extra white light is thou in the head light.

Surely it's the main beam? Looks even better on video - looks like a 1.8T quattro, which isn't available in the UK yet even in 3-door form. I wasn't sure that I'd have a red car again after my current one, but that video makes me think again!

Surely it's the main beam? Looks even better on video - looks like a 1.8T quattro, which isn't available in the UK yet even in 3-door form. I wasn't sure that I'd have a red car again after my current one, but that video makes me think again!

Can't be main beam ...

The main beam is where we have them on the current 8p. If you look where are "8p" indicators are in this video you'll know what I mean.

Be intrigued to know how much of the kit shown in the interior shots is 'paid extras'. Prices finger in the air guesses!

Nav unit (£1k+)
Start button (£350-£500 with smart key?)
MMI (You have to hope this is standard!)
Premium leather trim (£500?)
Sound system (£500+)
Electronic handbrake(£125?)
DSG (£1300)
Sports seats (£1500)
Interior light pack (£100)
Split fold with through load ski hatch (£275)
Gearknob (?)

I noted the 1.8TFSi was £31k kitted out to same spec as our S3 (options wise), then another £600 for the extra doors.... A3 for old skool A4 money! I was hoping when the Euro weakened we might see some price drop in UK, but like petrol prices only go one way; up!

Yup - I got to £31k on the Audi configurator for a similar spec on the 3-dr 1.8T S-Tronic (non-quattro), so I'd guess at about £38k for an S3 Sportback in similar spec. That's not competitive with the M135i, for example...unless discounts can be had.

As I've said before (and assuming you can still order it), the current 8P S3 Sportback at c.£30k discounted is the cheapest that this sort of car will be for many years to come - I can't see the 8V S3 being such good value for another 7+ years / end of model lifecycle.

I'm so glad I purchased my new A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 back in March. I will be keeping this car at least 3 years, may be more because I just don't like the interior of the new A3 when compared with my existing one. I have had a total of 8 A3s since my first one in 1998 but I think my current one will be the last. I love the DSG gearbox and would never want a car without one so when the time does come to change I shall be looking at the other MQB platform cars from VW, Skoda and Seat.