A3 sportback 1.9tdi MPG

maxlbrown

Deep Blue
Reaction score
Any one here got the new 1.9tdi 105ps engine in an a3 sport back. what sort of realistic MPG are you getting. general oppinions etc whats good /bad (apart from poor headlights as usual for audi)

My friend is thinking of one and has been told 70+ mpg.

I find that hard to belive off the test track whats real.

I siad go for the 2.0 diesel but for some reason he wants a 105PS.

Cheers

Max

I would take a stab at an easy 50+mpg, but 70+mpg is waaaaaay optomistic, IMO.
My 1.9tdi (130bhp) A4 did an easy 49mpg, without really trying.
Less power and less weight can only mean your mate's A3 will improve on that.

I have one of these god awfull engines. My average is 42.3 MPG. It's going back soon though! Woo Hoo!

Mostly urban driving I was getting 45-49mpg. It is a noisy old engine when cold, but once you get used to it no problem. I liked it so much I have ordered another one.

I find the gear ratio's in the 1.9 more suited to my urban crawl driving (only has 5 gears), and therefore a bit more relaxing to drive.

Yes, the engine is a bit noisy at start up, but I turn the radio up.
I've never found the headlights to be a problem - got some Philips extra brights to go in at some point, but can't face fiddling around under the bonnet.
I went for a diesel specifically because of my motorway miles (over 480 miles a week) as opposed to town driving. There's enough torque for me on the m'way.
Don't know the mpg figure, but getting well north of 500 miles a tank - and it doesn't vary too much even if you press on (got cruise control on mine which is a blessing for the motorway!)

thanks all ill pass the details on. I know he is hoping to get 70+ which is why he is going for this one.

am i right in thinking this is the old engine as it is not listing on audis website except in a special edition.

Ta

M

I think you can only get it in special edition guise.
Not 100% sure on that though.
We (the company) took delivery of a Mauritius blue 1.9tdi sportback special edition last Tuesday (standard, apart from proper i-pod connection).
Too early to tell it's real-life MPG, but I'll be flabbergasted if it's anywhere near 70mpg!

I'm hoping to get around 50mpg average when mine arrives. I had the same engine in a previous car and it easily did 50mpg - even with a remap.

70mpg is way out. You can get 55mpg plus on longer journeys though if you have a very light foot.

mines a few months old now and I'm getting between 49 and 55 without really being careful...

My a3 Sportback gives me approx 180 miles around town for £30 diesel. Diesel per litre at about 134.0. Is it me or is that really poor?