A3 'Sport Suspension'

maninthestreet

Reaction score
I currently drive an A1 Sportback with sport suspension, and previously owned an A3 also with sport suspension. I'm just about to order an A3 Sport saloon, and have read reviews saying the 'sport suspension' is too firm/harsh, and to stick with the standard 'dynamic suspension'. Is it really that bad? Given that both my A1 and A3 (8P chassis) both had sport suspension, and I didn't find it overly firm/harsh, should I ignore the warnings and chose it again? Anyone have experience of the 'sport suspension' on the latest A3s??

Yes. We test drove a A3 saloon and thought the suspension too hard - particularly noticable on country roads.
We opted for the free SE suspension option, and that is OK. It's still harder than some cars I have had.
Note that the bottom level of the saloon is Sport, so you do need to spec the SE suspension. There is no A3 saloon SE.

I've got the S-Line suspension spec'ed on my F/L S-Line saloon and I would say the ride is not uncomfortable at all. It is down to each individual to decide what's best for them. You can only decide once you have test driven the cars over a decent mixture of roads.

I've gone from an A1 with Sport suspension to an A3 with SE suspension & they feel pretty similar to me back to back. Although my A3 has been upgraded to 18" rims rather than the standard 16" ones. I'd agree with the general consensus that it's probably best to try before you buy.

Worth trying one to be honest, heard mixed opinion. Saying that I heard the A3 FL has 'better' sport suspension that is more comfortable than the previous. I heard, and pretty much agree that the A3 sport suspension is similar to the A1 SE suspension, but then it comes down to rim size. Larger wheels is going to have an effect, possibly the reason Audi force Mag Ride on 19" A3.

Mine is a PFL A3 in Sport trim with Sport Suspension on 17in wheels. not driven the A3 with the SE suspension so cant comment but imho i don't think its harsh. Motorways are fine and the A3 is built so well that it withstands any bumps along the countryside roads. Iv heard that its when wheel size goes above 18in matted to the Sports Suspension is when it can become a bit hard/harsh....

Also, the ride is lowered with the Sports Suspension which makes the car look better. The SE ride height looks quite high when you compare them side by side.

I did have a VW Scirocco recently and it had their version of the Adaptive Dampers/suspension. Forget what its called. In comfort mode it was lovely, really cruised over the bumps.... Sport mode it was really only for smooth roads or motorways as it really stiffened it up. Maybe you can speck this on the new FL A3?would be the best option i would have thought. Not sure what trim levels its available on though.....

Reactions: GR25
I had Sport suspension on my sport and to be honest the ride was fine! Comfy enough. A little bouncy but that's a trait of the A3 and would only be made worse by the higher ride height of SE suspension?

Mine is a PFL A3 in Sport trim with Sport Suspension on 17in wheels. not driven the A3 with the SE suspension so cant comment but imho i don't think its harsh. Motorways are fine and the A3 is built so well that it withstands any bumps along the countryside roads. Iv heard that its when wheel size goes above 18in matted to the Sports Suspension is when it can become a bit hard/harsh....

Also, the ride is lowered with the Sports Suspension which makes the car look better. The SE ride height looks quite high when you compare them side by side.

I did have a VW Scirocco recently and it had their version of the Adaptive Dampers/suspension. Forget what its called. In comfort mode it was lovely, really cruised over the bumps.... Sport mode it was really only for smooth roads or motorways as it really stiffened it up. Maybe you can speck this on the new FL A3?would be the best option i would have thought. Not sure what trim levels its available on though.....

You can spec Mag Ride which is similar. However, general consensus is if you are not too bothered about adjustment the passive sport suspension is balanced now for comfort and sportiness, whereas previously everyone recommended SE suspension. Like you said, Sport suspension looks better too and I think any issues with the sport suspension being too firm in the past have been pretty much resolved with the FL - but thats just my experience and what I've heard from others that have a PFL 8V and moved to a FL 8V.

... both had sport suspension, and I didn't find it overly firm/harsh, should I ignore the warnings and chose it again?
... I think you have answered your own question. It all depends on the roads you drive and what you are used to.
We recently had an A1 S-line for as a courtesy car. We both found it really firm. Though our country roads are really bumpy. Our A3 SE is a much better car for our roads.
Though it is interesting to hear what people are saying about the FL sport suspension.

I have a PFL sline 1.4. Ride is indeed hard and some passengers notice. I'm ok with it but do make more effort than I have in the past to dodge broken road surfaces

I have the A3 with sport suspension on 17's, I find it a good balance between firmness on the motorway and comfort around town etc,the slightly lowered ride height looks better too IMO.
You should try both before you buy though.

I have a PFL sline 1.4. Ride is indeed hard and some passengers notice. I'm ok with it but do make more effort than I have in the past to dodge broken road surfaces
The driver notices the suspension much less than the passenger. On the very left of the road is where most of the pot holes, manhole covers, road repairs and bumps are. So the left side suspension has to do more work and the front passenger has a bumpier ride. Also I think the driver is just more prepared for bumps and therefore less conscious of them. As a passenger, my wife sometimes complains about the firm suspension of my Golf GTD. Before her A3 went in for repair she had my car to drive for a week. She made 2 comments, "my car revs a lot" = she has a heavy right foot. Also, it was more comfortable to drive than she had expected.

I have read that the Golf Clubsport S, which holds the record for the fastest front wheel drive car around the Nurbergring, had all settings set to sport, except one. I read that the adjustable suspension was set to comfort.

Firm suspension is great on a good road, but terrible on a bad road.

You should try both before you buy though.

Drove mine before I bought it. Roads round the dealer were quite good though!

I've often thought it worth hiring a car for a day before you buy to get the opportunity to really test it at your leisure. Possibly a good investment to avoid an expensive mistake. Not something I've done so far though.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
Drove mine before I bought it. Roads round the dealer were quite good though!

I've often thought it worth hiring a car for a day before you buy to get the opportunity to really test it at your leisure. Possibly a good investment to avoid an expensive mistake. Not something I've done so far though.
There is only one bad road near our dealer. I asked to go down it. :)

We had an S-line for a 2 day extended test drive. Our salesman assured us that the standard sport suspension was quite comfortable. After our extended test drive, I told him that neither of us liked how uncomfortable the suspension was on our roads, and we would not be buying an S-line. You should have seen the look on his face.

I had a new GTD for an extended test drive recently. I was supposed to have it for several days, but knew as soon as I drove it home that I didn't like the suspension. So I returned it the next day. Much to the surprise of the dealer. Then I had a short test drive in a new GTI with adjustable suspension set to comfort - much, much better!

... perhaps I should move house to one surrounded by better roads :/

I test drove the A3 on sports suspension and bought one on SE suspension. They're not massively different and neither has any massive downsides.

The Sports suspension looks better to most people eyes and it feels a little more tied down but it doesn't turn the car into a Lotus Elise but IMO it makes the car feel like a hot hatch.

The SE suspension still has good body control and is more forgiving over bumps which gives it a more mature feel. Given that 99% of our driving is around town and on motorways, SE suspension was one of the first boxes we ticked.

Reactions: RichardT