A3 sport 1.8t or s3?

A16RNN

Reaction score
What's the difference in the engines/engine parts etc i believe my a3 is AGU 1.8t mapped to 200 I'm sure the s3 runs a k03s turbo? Early ones I also think where k04 but what else is different?

A3

AGU 1.8 20vT = K03. Large port head/20mm gudgeon pins/Narrow band ECU/Non-VVT
AUM/AUQ 1.8 20vT = K03s Small port head/19mm gudgeon pins/Wide band ECU/VVT

S3

APY 1.8vT = K04-022? Small port head/20mm gudgeon pins/Narrow band ecu/Non-VVT?
AMK/BAM 1.8 20vT = K04-023 Small port head/20mm gudgeon pins/Wide band ECU/VVT

All the above is available on the internet with a quick Google.

I had a k04 on my old Passat and was running hella more than 225? I thought it was only the early s3 8l that ran k04 and then they changed it to k03s because of efficiency?

I had a k04 on my old Passat and was running hella more than 225? I thought it was only the early s3 8l that ran k04 and then they changed it to k03s because of efficiency?

K04 on an A4 is not the same as the K04 on the S3... the K04 on an inline engine is more like the K03s is on the transverse... S3's have always been K04's... later K04 turbo's (AMK/BAM) have a provision for an EGT probe... K04's fitted to earlier S3's (APY) did not have EGT probes

S3's can be mapped to 270+hp, K03s to 230 ish hp... a little more is possible subject to level of modification and condition of turbo...

<tuffty/>

I disagree with your agreement of the agreeable disagreement.

:beerchug:

I disagree with your disagreement of the initial dissagreemant... I think.

e31.jpg

Reactions: voorhees, azman, Tim_Attard and 3 others
Lol just get an S3 and put A3 badges on it. Everyone's happy then, including Jardo! ;)

Reactions: AVLO and 16Klappe
Depends if your a man or a boy really...

If your a man then get the S3,

If your a boy then the A3 should be ample...

We all know the S3 weights a lot and the 4wd is not that good compared to a "real" 4x4 system but it does have a lot extra that the A3 boys add inc. the quick rack, the cast wishbones and different hubs and the popular Recaro seats.

For the price difference you can't go wrong with an S3. All the extra goodies it got is worth it. Not to mention the beautifull wheel arches.

IMO if you buy an A3 you will spend a lot making it look like an S3 lol, why bother while the price difference isn't huge.

only came down to insurance for me, i couldn't get insured on an s3 so i went a3 have spent a lot getting it to s3+ power

For the price difference you can't go wrong with an S3. All the extra goodies it got is worth it. Not to mention the beautifull wheel arches.

IMO if you buy an A3 you will spend a lot making it look like an S3 lol, why bother while the price difference isn't huge.

Looks aren't everything kiddo.

If it gives S3 owners a bit of a leg up then it is worth saying that most of the "upgrade" bits mentioned are usually sourced from LCR's because the parts are a lot cheaper. For some reason the fact that they've come off an "Audi" seem to hike the prices up, which is a bit strange.

Either way, both cracking cars.

Lol that did escalate quickly.. Suppose it's a choice thing... I really like my a3 wanna get a bit more power out of it but all in all it does me pretty decent for a daily

Erm I nearly died in one of those few months back, my old man bought the 595 abarth and someone pulled out on him on a fuel carriageway.... Pretty Awsome car considering its a fiat and a chicks car.... (Well the 5 mins I was in the thing before accident)

Before you decide between A3 and S3 you need to drive a quattro, sure known fact the 4WD isn't as good as others but it's still a hell of a lot more fun than 2WD. Mines a TDI quattro, but I love my 4WD won't want to go back to 2WD now.

Like someone else said, if you can afford the insurance of an S3 and like it's looks then get one. Unless you have huge modding plans to make an A3 your own and not just another S3 then why compremise.

I have an a3 already simply just wanted to know the difference in the 2 engines

Ah fair enough...

I think another main difference is the S3 has twin intercoolers. Pretty sure none of the A3's have that.

If audi s3's are for men and audi a3's are for boys. What does that make me as I have an audi a3 with and s3 engine and running gear. :s

Why would you ruin an A3 with lumpy old Haldex and a K04?

Learn to drive and stick with an A3.

:)

Reactions: Paradox1
ive had several A3's and the spec level, driving experience and fun factor just dont compare to the S3.

My S3 proves its worth every penny I paid for it as soon as it is wet as the level of grip and confidence in adverse driving conditions is outstanding!! M3 owners tiptoeing round roundabouts hate it!!!!!

ive had several A3's and the spec level, driving experience and fun factor just dont compare to the S3.<br><br>My S3 proves its worth every penny I paid for it as soon as it is wet as the level of grip and confidence in adverse driving conditions is outstanding!! M3 owners tiptoeing round roundabouts hate it!!!!!