A3 special edition 2.0T FSI - remap?

MushroomMan

Sucemabite
Reaction score
I take delivery of a brand new A3 special edition 2.0T FSI quattro sportback next month.

Can anyone answer my questions:
What can I expect from a stage one remap? Anyone out there with a chipped special edition please advise. Think the special edition puts out 200ps standard..
How long should I wait before taking it down the chip shop? Should I go immediately?
Will my existing SPS1 fit in the serial port of the special edition?
I'm looking at either AMD or Revo - my S3 (soon to go) is revoed - unless anyone has a better suggestion?

hey mushroom man, i have a 2.0T special edition aswell, had it chipped with revo stage one at about 2000 miles, it doesnt really matter about when you get it chipped, i did t then so that the car was run in at 1500 miles.

The revo gives alot of extra torque and you can really feel the car take off at about 2200 rpm. I think it is worth while and believe it gives 255 bhp, not that i have put it on a roll road.

I dont think your sps will work in the new one as, there was a new one was just released in may this year.

I can just about live with 255bhp, my S3 had 269bhp in its heyday, but it's been badly abused and, after 101k miles, is a shadow of its former self. Thinking of taking it to the car shrink before it goes to auction.

The new one goes to the chip shop on the day of delivery!

I have a couple of questions.

Doesn't a ECU remap void your warranty?

Will the remap get whipped every time you get the car services?

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
I have a couple of questions.

Doesn't a ECU remap void your warranty?

Will the remap get whipped every time you get the car services?

1/Only if your daft enough to tell them, then try claiming for a new clutch or similar, The Revo can be "hidden" for servicing.

2/If for some reason the dealer re-loads the eeprom Revo will re -flash it for free.

3/No the old SPS will not work with the 2.0TFSI

I am having my 2.0t q sline special edition Revo'd tomorrow so will post my findings.

Apparently Revo claim the remap gives 255bhp and 285lb/ft . A huge increase in torque

The SPS switch isnt compatible its now a select switch which I am buying at the same time

I look forward to reading your experiance.
Also where is the OBD2 port, I have not had a good look.

johnmv55 said:
1/Only if your daft enough to tell them, then try claiming for a new clutch or similar, The Revo can be "hidden" for servicing.

2/If for some reason the dealer re-loads the eeprom Revo will re -flash it for free.

3/No the old SPS will not work with the 2.0TFSI

Of course I'm not that daft and naturally switch back to stock when returning to dealer. So far the car has had a new turbo, clutch, big hose and countless coilpacks (not sure the latter would be connected). I'm a bad bad boy.

Do you reckon I could cut a deal with the Revo man over the SPS1; by rights they should at least offer me a discount since I'm a loyal customer? It's slightly unfair that I should have to buy a new switch for a new car.

Thanks for your responses lads - especially interested to find out about how the chipped spec ed goes; it does seem an exponential increase in torque. In fact similar levels to a chipped boxter. The reason I chose the 2.0T over the 3.2 was that I could get a similar performance simply by chipping, and at significantly less money. The special edition gives you leather and 18 inches too.

unable to remap my 06 car at present as the the Revo remap code needs to be modified to work with the latest generation ECU .

co55ie said:
unable to remap my 06 car at present as the the Revo remap code needs to be modified to work with the latest generation ECU .

Really?! I've not heard this before - does this apply to all 2.0T FSI engines post 06? I've not seen anything about this on the Revo site?

What about other tuners? AMD?

I need to have the contents of the ecu read and uploaded then revo can modify the map accordingly to work. So it can be done but obviously I am not sure of the implications of having this remap as its not tried and tested and proven . I am also put off in a way after seeing the massive variation in mapping strategies required to get the best (safely) out of two supposedly identical standard cars (not Audi's ) so not sure about the generic route.

To me I would be paying nearly £600 incl VAT for my car to be a guineau pig, I have had previous cars custom live mapped on the road for this kind of cash.

Superchips aernt currently doing anything with regards to Bluefin and Audi Petrol engines according to themselves

AMD maps aernt switchable back to standard for servicing time.

So kind of running out of options. I am not very familiar with the VAG methods of tuning so may be wrong with regards to my thoughts about Generic maps etc.

co55ie said:
AMD maps aernt switchable back to standard for servicing time.

Have you looked at their one-click system? Its a switchable map...

i didnt think one click was available for the 2.0tfsi

Will give them a call to see

Remap is being done through my local dealer for £500 incl VAT which will give 250bhp and the full warranty on the car will be honoured.

Yes Audi Dealer.

They are offering a variety of packages ranging from suspenion upgrades to remaps and exhausts.

The Remap is done by a very well known tuner and at the moment the dealer is offering a very reduced rate on the remap of £500 all in as this is a new service they are offering. They even have a demo car apparently

I have been assured it will not affect my warranty and all work undertaken even though its carried out by 3rd parties on behalf of the dealer is billed on proper Audi Dealer invoices etc.

I have even been offered a courtesy car when I book the car in to have the work done. ( Probably a sweetener for when my car goings bang and they laugh and tell me haha you mug you believed us your warranty is null and void !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

I guess its similar to the fact that if you use dodgy resprays to fix a scratch your warranty on that bit of paintwork will be voided but if the dealer uses them it wont.

Anyway I am going to get a full turbo back exhaust , freeflow cat and Remap
which should give 270bhp or near enough and add some KW coilovers and enormous brakes in a few weeks time and finally will finish the car of with some nice 19" BBS RC wheels.

I have never understood why more francised dealers dont offer sports exhausts alloys,lowering kits etc must be a huge amount of cash to be made by them in this area

Seems to be more common for US dealers to offer this sort of stuff than UK

Remap is £500 incl VAT
Exhaust sytem choices are £350 or £ 780 plus VAT and free fitting as its a miltek

Not sure how much the brake upgrade or suspension upgrades are going to be as of yet as I havent decided exactly what I am going to do.

co55ie said:
Remap is £500 incl VAT
Exhaust sytem choices are £350 or £ 780 plus VAT and free fitting as its a miltek

Not sure how much the brake upgrade or suspension upgrades are going to be as of yet as I havent decided exactly what I am going to do.

Just typical of my luck, I buy the Revo and have to hide it from the dealer, then the dealers start selling legit stuff at the same price.............

The dealers Wayside in MK and the remaps being done on their behalf by AMD

co55ie said:
The dealers Wayside in MK and the remaps being done on their behalf by AMD

So it's not actually Audi but Audi rubber stamping AMD's remap. I wonder if this is just a single dealer initiative or whether other dealers will follow suite and endorse other tuners?

god I hope so - love to get mine remapped by a Audi dealer, don't fancy a trip down south though

I belive it to be a dealer initiative.

And its a cracking price well worth a trip down south as your saving well over £200 on the Price AMD would charge themselves.

I have spoken to several local dealers all of whom were able to offer a range of services remapping exhausts etc etc.

Anyway I will let you all know what I think next week when the works been done.

I believe Listers Audi in Coventry offer REVO.
Might be worth an enquiry if anyone is interested.

The remap is now installed on my car. (felt strange getting a dealer to do the work)

It is still very smooth to drive no lag at all ( smoother and more linear in delivery than standard ) and significantly quicker aswell giving 250bhp. :jump:

I didnt end up bothering with the exhaust as it only gives another 15bhp and costs nearly a grand not really worth it in my opinion. Maybe I will add it later.

If you you live near MK then I would have no hesitation in recommending the service Wayside offer especially as it is about £100 cheap than the Revo alternative when the VAT is added and also the added bonus of not having to hide the remap come service time. :shutup2:

Since it's all in the open, then I guess there is also no reason for you to opt for the SPS1, saving you a further £150 not including VAT. It annoys me that tuners quote ex-VAT as if most of their customers are self-employed plumbers etc.
I will probably have to go direct to Revo as have reasons for not revealing the re-map. I will also have to pay out for an SPS1 as although I have one for my existing S3, they have altered the serial port in the new A3s, and it won't fit the new 2.0TFSI sportback.
Maybe the AS Forum should pool together and share the switches. Afterall, we only need to use them when taking the car to the dealer.
I notice that a Revo dealer in Bucks is claiming a guaranteed 265bhp on their re-maps for new A3 2.0T FSIs, this is the highest I've seen claimed. Most places offering Revo claim 255bhp tops. Is there a reason for this?

http://www.fontain.co.uk/stocklist-items.asp?itemtype=49&parentID=249

the various different power output claims I have see branded around for Revo are another of the things that put me off as well as the costs involved £750 incl VAT for a generic remap with the select switch.

Most cars with the various tuners remaps seem to make very similar figures when independantly tested. From the results I have read about the 2.0tfsi gives around 270bhp and 270 lb/ft with the inclusion of turbo back 70mm bore exhaust and freeflow cat running Revo code so some way off what they claim even for their basic map in the way of torque.

From what I gather it is extrememly straight forward for the dealer to be able to recognise that a car has been remapped even when it is running a supposed switchable program. I am still not sure if the program is actually switched or just actually caps the power output ?.

co55ie said:
From what I gather it is extrememly straight forward for the dealer to be able to recognise that a car has been remapped even when it is running a supposed switchable program. I am still not sure if the program is actually switched or just actually caps the power output ?.

The maps are stored on different parts of the ECU, the switch just tells the ECU which map to use.

J.

MushroomMan said:
I will also have to pay out for an SPS1 as although I have one for my existing S3, they have altered the serial port in the new A3s, and it won't fit the new 2.0TFSI sportback.

The serial port hasn't physically changed change just the new cars use a new format - CAN-BUS (I believe). Use SPS1 can't access it.

J.

marriedblonde said:
And you think your remap wont be a generic one...

I know its a generic one but it cost a lot less £250 less infact and didnt invalidate my warranty.