A3 slowing on its own

Reaction score
Hi ive had my car now for 2 months and im still trying to get to grips with driving it, as it seems to know the speed limit etc, i like to coast along until the last sec but the car seems to use engine breaking when coming to roundabout etc and i dont like it, ive tried turning off audi pre sense but it still does it, could it be the google maps or nav causing it? or can you not turn it off?

assuming yours is a DSG MHEV? I find that mine would turn the engine off if coasting to a stop, however if there's a car or obstacle coming up, it would restart the engine, and engine-brake / charge the battery via regen. I suspect it does it with front radar. I recall engine was off, until a car changed into my lane, and the car seem to know this, and restarted engine/regen.

Hi ive had my car now for 2 months and im still trying to get to grips with driving it, as it seems to know the speed limit etc, i like to coast along until the last sec but the car seems to use engine breaking when coming to roundabout etc and i dont like it, ive tried turning off audi pre sense but it still does it, could it be the google maps or nav causing it? or can you not turn it off?
It’s possible to disable this in the settings under Audi Pre Sense.

The coasting function is linked to the sat Nat as well as the pre sense system however there should be a setting in the mmi - try Car, Efficiency Assist, Intelligent Coasting and then set it to off

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyGoose and jonnyturbofingaz
assuming yours is a DSG MHEV? I find that mine would turn the engine off if coasting to a stop, however if there's a car or obstacle coming up, it would restart the engine, and engine-brake / charge the battery via regen. I suspect it does it with front radar. I recall engine was off, until a car changed into my lane, and the car seem to know this, and restarted engine/regen.
It also slows down via regen when coming up to a junction round about etc. and even if you are approaching a speed limit too fast. It is a good system but my only criticism is that I would prefer the regen/engine braking to be a little more severe as when to does cut in and slows the car it is too early and leaves you crawling to the junction if that makes sense!

Reactions: jonnyturbofingaz
I quite like this feature and it works pretty well on the whole. It is also pretty easy to override it by simply maintaining a small amount of throttle input instead of lifting off completely

Last edited:
Reactions: ElDingo, AdamInKent and DreamInCode
I found that turning off Auto start/stop also turns off crawling of last few yards when stopping.
When the car starts coasting flicking the gear lever to S stops coasting, fires up engine with a downshift in gear.

It also slows down via regen when coming up to a junction round about etc. and even if you are approaching a speed limit too fast. It is a good system but my only criticism is that I would prefer the regen/engine braking to be a little more severe as when to does cut in and slows the car it is too early and leaves you crawling to the junction if that makes sense!
It's a balancing act. Lift off too early, and as you said, end up needing throttle, lift too late, need to put brakes and I think engine wouldn't even switch off! Mine's a 30TFSI, and I feel that sometimes when approaching a roundabout from NSL speeds, engine braking even up to over 5k revs doesn't seem to slow the car down much if at all, but I can feel it when the battery is shown as charging (regen I guess).

Reactions: AdamInKent
It's a balancing act. Lift off too early, and as you said, end up needing throttle, lift too late, need to put brakes and I think engine wouldn't even switch off! Mine's a 30TFSI, and I feel that sometimes when approaching a roundabout from NSL speeds, engine braking even up to over 5k revs doesn't seem to slow the car down much if at all, but I can feel it when the battery is shown as charging (regen I guess).
I think it’s just a characteristic of the car that takes a little time to get used to. At first, it felt like the car and I were fighting for control. Now it seems to work well for the most part. Get it right and the car brings you into a roundabout at just the right speed to continue through or stop; or brings you into traffic lights with the engine off.

The thing I like more is that, with feet off the accelerator and brake, the car will match speed with the car in front of you, as long as the closing speed is not too fast; and when I brake gently on a hill, the car will attempt to hold that speed after I lift my foot off the brake (as long as it has sufficient regen/engine braking to do so).

Reactions: ElDingo
Does anyone think the electric motor is just a little underpowered? Mine just does not manage to maintain constant speed of the car on the flat. A slight down hill stretch and it is fine but I would expect it to maintain the speed of the car when you take your foot off the throttle to freewheel.

Does anyone think the electric motor is just a little underpowered? Mine just does not manage to maintain constant speed of the car on the flat. A slight down hill stretch and it is fine but I would expect it to maintain the speed of the car when you take your foot off the throttle to freewheel.
My understanding of the mild hybrid system is that there isn't an electric motor to power the cars forward motion, more that in circumstances where the car can coast, the engine can cut out and the power in the small hydrid battery can maintain the electrical systems that would otherwise draw power from the engine and also provide power to restart the engine via the alternator when you need to resume driving under engine power. That's why you lose a bit of speed when it kicks in on the flat.

Reactions: Brian Leslie and AdamInKent
In contrast to full hybrids, mild hybrid cars aren’t intended to be powered by the motor alone. The motor-generator is only used for regen braking and to stop, start and assist/boost the engine (and as an alternator). Personally, I view it more as a better auto-stop/start system than as a hybrid in the conventional sense.

Last edited:
thanks for your thoughts, id prefer to not have it active tbh i like just coasting as long as possible, sometimes im breaking to a roundabout and at the last sec the car stops helping and then i have to brake harder and it jerks the car :/
mine is the 35tfsi edition 1 so not sure about the electric motor thing, i did wonder why the little battery symbol comes up at the end of the consuption bar :p i dont want to disable the crash prevention etc just that coasting thing.
While im on do your headlight turn like it says they are suppose to? or is it dependant on the road/lighting? thanks

In contrast to full hybrids, mild hybrid cars aren’t intended to be powered by the motor alone. The motor-generator is only used for regen braking and to stop, start and assist/boost the engine (and as an alternator). Personally, I view it more as a better auto-stop/start system than as a hybrid in the conventional sense.
Hi. I quite like the 'artificial intelligence' and chuckle to myself when the car slows itself down when approaching a roubabout. One concern I have about that is that I don't think the brake lights come on as cars behind don't seem slow down. Maybe it's perhaps the drivers of those cars are less intelligent . As an aside, do you know of any threads about the failure of the stop/start function as the function on my car has stopped working.

Hi. I quite like the 'artificial intelligence' and chuckle to myself when the car slows itself down when approaching a roubabout. One concern I have about that is that I don't think the brake lights come on as cars behind don't seem slow down. Maybe it's perhaps the drivers of those cars are less intelligent . As an aside, do you know of any threads about the failure of the stop/start function as the function on my car has stopped working.
Has it stopped working with the arrival of warmer weather? I find that if the aircon is working hard then the car will leave the engine running (to power the compressor, I guess). You could test this by setting the aircon to off whilst stopped with the engine running, to see if that allows the engine to cut out.

Has it stopped working with the arrival of warmer weather? I find that if the aircon is working hard then the car will leave the engine running (to power the compressor, I guess). You could test this by setting the aircon to off whilst stopped with the engine running, to see if that allows the engine to cut out.

Hi. Possibly has coincided with the warmer weather but I tend not to use the aircon. A check of potential drain on battery shows only minimal functions in use. I think the issue coincided with an mmi reset rather than the warmer weather. The switch function is ok though (illuminates when I switch the function off).

Reactions: jonnyturbofingaz and AdamInKent
ive noticed if you have the fans on Lo it wont cut out but if you put it to 16.5 it will, also the same with the steering i noticed if the wheels are turned it wont cut out but if you straighten them they do :/

ive noticed if you have the fans on Lo it wont cut out but if you put it to 16.5 it will, also the same with the steering i noticed if the wheels are turned it wont cut out but if you straighten them they do :/
That's interesting. I do have the heater temp on 'low'. I'll give that a go and see what happens. Cheers.

Great shout jonnyturbofingaz. Start/stop works perfectly following your suggestion. A good way to permanently switch it off for those who don't like that feature. Cheers.

Reactions: jonnyturbofingaz
My understanding of the mild hybrid system is that there isn't an electric motor to power the cars forward motion, more that in circumstances where the car can coast, the engine can cut out and the power in the small hydrid battery can maintain the electrical systems that would otherwise draw power from the engine and also provide power to restart the engine via the alternator when you need to resume driving under engine power. That's why you lose a bit of speed when it kicks in on the flat.
I found that if I had it on cruise control, sometimes at long downhill sections, engine would shut itself off, however the speed would increase. Eg...if I set it to 68mph, some downhill sections would increase the speed (with engine off) to about 70 plus. I think once it hits 72/73mph, the engine would restart to use the regen to brake to avoid 'overspeed.'

Did anyone notice that despite turing start-stop off on MHEV (red light above the button on), the engine would still turn off when coasting?
I 'disabled it' as we were generally crawling, but sometimes stopping prior to entering Blackwall Tunnel, I expected the engine to remain on throughout, but was surprised it was not the case.

Did anyone notice that despite turing start-stop off on MHEV (red light above the button on), the engine would still turn off when coasting?
I 'disabled it' as we were generally crawling, but sometimes stopping prior to entering Blackwall Tunnel, I expected the engine to remain on throughout, but was surprised it was not the case.
You need to put "S" on the gearbox to turn off the "coasting", pressing the button you mentioned disables only the start-stop when the car stops.

I have 2x Audi A3 2022y - one is manual, one is DSG - the DSG one also slows the car when detects car in front of me, manual doesn't have "mild hybrid" so doesn't have the coasting function and doesn't slow when detects car.

For me, being in start-stop / slow moving traffic is an ideal situation to use the auto start/stop. Both to reduce pollution and to improve fuel economy?

For me, being in start-stop / slow moving traffic is an ideal situation to use the auto start/stop. Both to reduce pollution and to improve fuel economy?
If it's in the front of the lights, or a slight wait yes. But when crawling in traffic especially say entering BW tunnel, the stop with engine off is like 1-3 seconds only. So in a slow moving traffic to cover the 3-400 meters, the engine would turn on and off maybe 30-40 times in a space of 5 mins. Not sure how good that is. However in other conditions like at normal traffic lights or roundabouts, yea, I don't bother turning it off, and let it do its thing.

If it's in the front of the lights, or a slight wait yes. But when crawling in traffic especially say entering BW tunnel, the stop with engine off is like 1-3 seconds only. So in a slow moving traffic to cover the 3-400 meters, the engine would turn on and off maybe 30-40 times in a space of 5 mins. Not sure how good that is. However in other conditions like at normal traffic lights or roundabouts, yea, I don't bother turning it off, and let it do its thing.
I’ve noticed this, annoying with the air conditioning as well. It doesn’t pump as nicely when the engine is off.
Plus more of an observation, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but putting the window up or down, there’s a slight pause whilst the engine is turning on / off.

if I’m in heavy slow moving traffic I usually knock the car into sport mode, it’s the only way to stop the engine turning off whilst coasting.

I’ve noticed this, annoying with the air conditioning as well. It doesn’t pump as nicely when the engine is off.
Plus more of an observation, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but putting the window up or down, there’s a slight pause whilst the engine is turning on / off.
Yes, on Eco AC mode it tends to still shut off the engine, although on On AC mode, more times than not, it would not turn off the engine.
Where I park, I need to wind down the window to tap a fob, so yes, the windows pause (either going up or down) where the engine re-starts. Guess it uses the same battery under the drivers' seat. In a Seat Leon previously, the wipers would pause when the car restarts. Don't think that happens with the A3 wipers wise, or I haven't noticed

From my experience the brake lights do come on when regen braking.
I hope so but I dont think they do judging by the drivers getting really close to me when the car is regen braking. I think this frustrates other drivers thinking my brake lights aren't working. I have never noticed my brake lights come on empty unlit a roads when the car is regen braking. I havent had any mates follow me to confirm this and maybe I am wrong.

I hope so but I dont think they do judging by the drivers getting really close to me when the car is regen braking. I think this frustrates other drivers thinking my brake lights aren't working. I have never noticed my brake lights come on empty unlit a roads when the car is regen braking. I havent had any mates follow me to confirm this and maybe I am wrong.
From my experience they do not illuminate, I always look in my rear view mirror when the regen braking is active, even when it’s at its strongest coming to a junction, I do not see any brake lights in reflection of peoples registration plates behind me until I begin physically braking.

I can confirm that my brake lights do come on when regen braking. I have tested this by having a colleague follow me and confirming over the phone. He thought that it was pretty irritating that the brake lights were on/off so much.

Reactions: AdamInKent and thomaslewis
I don't get my brake lights coming on under the regen slowing down. Maybe it's only on recent cars or the PHEV TFSIe cars only. Mines a MY21 35 TFSI MHEV

Reactions: thomaslewis
I don't get my brake lights coming on under the regen slowing down. Maybe it's only on recent cars or the PHEV TFSIe cars only. Mines a MY21 35 TFSI MHEV
I have a MY21 30 TFSI MHEV, and I 'don't believe' they come on. My observation though is from a double decker bus behind me and I couldn't see the lights come on (assuming regen you mean the mpg bar goes to green to charge the battery?) on the reflective bus front glass, but once I did press the brakes, I could def see it!

Reactions: thomaslewis and chevy117
I have a MY21 30 TFSI MHEV, and I 'don't believe' they come on. My observation though is from a double decker bus behind me and I couldn't see the lights come on (assuming regen you mean the mpg bar goes to green to charge the battery?) on the reflective bus front glass, but once I did press the brakes, I could def see it!
Just taking your foot off the accelerator might not activate the brake lights as the rate of deceleration is similar to engine braking (which would not activate brake lights on a conventional car).

I have seen my brake lights come on (illuminating road signs behind me at nighttime) when the car is slowing of its own accord, eg when approaching junctions (21 plate 35 Tsi MHEV with drive). In my experience, the car activates the brake lights when deceleration exceeds a threshold. Whether this is on pure regen or whether the brakes are applied is harder to judge as the car has autonomous control of both

However, the deceleration rate being used to control brake lights is probably a standard function in any car with a motor (hybrid or electric) with the ability to slow the car to a significant extent without the use of mechanical brakes?

Last edited: