A3 serious engine rattle!- Please help

Harrisstest

Reaction score
Our A3 suddenly without warning has developed a loud ticking noise which increases and decreases with revs. The noise is also there on the overrun and slows perfectly in time with the engine.The car drives fine, no smoke, warning lights or loss of power. Its the 1.9 BLS motor and after doing some research im getting a bit worried. So far ive done the following..

DMF - taken to a clutch centre who dismissed this and said it sounds "top end"

Inspected cam - i took the rocker assembly off that drives the injectors to have a good look. The tops of the lobes look ok but the BOTTOM of two of them are scored. I cant really see much of the lifters with the cam in place.

Injector tops look ok, nothing loose

Im tempted now to take the sump off, but if its a loose big end ( caught just in time), can i change it without taking the head off to remove the rod?

Appreciate some help on this, i know its my first thread but i have no one really to ask (apart from the missus or the dog!)

Thanks.

Reactions: mpw2081
Our A3 suddenly without warning has developed a loud ticking noise which increases and decreases with revs. The noise is also there on the overrun and slows perfectly in time with the engine.The car drives fine, no smoke, warning lights or loss of power. Its the 1.9 BLS motor and after doing some research im getting a bit worried. So far ive done the following..

DMF - taken to a clutch centre who dismissed this and said it sounds "top end"

Inspected cam - i took the rocker assembly off that drives the injectors to have a good look. The tops of the lobes look ok but the BOTTOM of two of them are scored. I cant really see much of the lifters with the cam in place.

Injector tops look ok, nothing loose

Im tempted now to take the sump off, but if its a loose big end ( caught just in time), can i change it without taking the head off to remove the rod?

Appreciate some help on this, i know its my first thread but i have no one really to ask (apart from the missus or the dog!)

Thanks.

Hi Mate try putting your problem in the a3 series forum you`ll proberbly get answer quicker

Did you find out what the problem was mine was the same and was in Audi for 2 weeks and they said it was fine