A3 Saloon 1.5 tfsi engine

Trevolly

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if I could ask if anyone has the new 1.5 tfsi engine with the s-tronic gearbox system. If so is it a good combo? I'm really thinking of the s-tronic gearbox after borrowing a A3 when mine was in for service. I enjoyed it but it was a 2 litre engine so a bit more power. My local Audi are saying they do not have any 1.4 tfsi with s-tronic or any 1.5tfsi with s-tronic. Really wanted to test drive as my wife is a bit nervous of the auto gearbox.

Thanks for any help
Trev

It started production on week 22 so I should think the first ones will be due in the UK anytime now/ next week. Mine will be here in 6 weeks as I'm a week 28 build.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Trevolly
Probably the reason the dealers don't have any 1.4's is that they are getting rid before the 1.5's arrive.
If you could find a 1.4 at a dealer somewhere it could be a good deal at the moment.

I can confirm that the 1.4 (and by inference the 1.5) are peaches conbined with the s- tronic.

Reactions: RSS-S3, Reggieboy71, Trevolly and 1 other person
The 1.4 cod's have always been in the minority at dealerships ever since the engine came out owing to them promoting diesels over petrols...

My 1.5 S-tronic (BW25) is at Emden on its way to me. I did manage to drive a 1.4 S-tronic and it felt really good compared to my 1.4 Golf Mk 7 DSG, so really looking forward to the new car in a couple of weeks

Ok thanks guys. So I've got a 1.4tfsi manual Sportback and want an s-tronic saloon. I've enquired about a second hand A3 Saloon that Audi have but they have said to spec a new model up and they will look at a deal.

I've specced a 1.5 ltr black edition saloon with s-tronic, tech pack, comfort & sound pack, folding mirrors and rear camera. That's come in at £33635

I have £2200 negative on my car pcp deal to settle so Audi have said with a £2000 deposit from me, they will add £3400 to clear the negative and a bit extra deposit and Audi UK will add £600 deposit. With all that and the value of my car against their new car it'll be £412 a month. They are quoting a delivery of October.

Is this any good?

The 1.4 was a fine little engine, the 1.5 should be even better. S&Tonic though is something I'd test drive extensively before commiting. It's an engineering marvel, but it's very much a yeast extract type of product. Some people love it, and can't see why they ever put up with swapping their own cogs for so long, others, like me, find it ****** infuriating.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ok thanks guys. So I've got a 1.4tfsi manual Sportback and want an s-tronic saloon. I've enquired about a second hand A3 Saloon that Audi have but they have said to spec a new model up and they will look at a deal.

I've specced a 1.5 ltr black edition saloon with s-tronic, tech pack, comfort & sound pack, folding mirrors and rear camera. That's come in at £33635

I have £2200 negative on my car pcp deal to settle so Audi have said with a £2000 deposit from me, they will add £3400 to clear the negative and a bit extra deposit and Audi UK will add £600 deposit. With all that and the value of my car against their new car it'll be £412 a month. They are quoting a delivery of October.

Is this any good?

Have you got another Audi dealer in your locality, getting them to prepare a quote for the exact same car should be a good indication of how hard the first dealer tried.

Can the dealer locate a similar spec car from group stock, car sales tend to go quiet in July and August as everyone is waiting for the new registration to start. The dealer records the sale when they deliver the car, not when you order so they may give you a better deal if they can deliver the car now. My Mrs got £500 extra discount on a new polo by agreeing to take the car in August rather than on the new registration in September.

Have you looked at sites like carwow and drive the deal. You can get a comparative price from them but be careful as you'll need to include you px in the deal.

Regarding your current PCP, how far into it are you? If you've paid more than 50% of the cars value off (not 50% of the payments) you can just give the car back and the finance company has to suck up the negative equity. This is perfectly legal and doesn't effect your credit score.

Not really answered your question but hopefully given you a few things to consider.

October delivery sounds about right for a new factory order, from this forum everyone generally waits around 4.5 to 5 months from order to delivery

Reactions: Jassyo06
Doesn't affect credit score - are you sure?

Early termination - account closed with no outstanding balance. It's a good thing.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Jassyo06

100%. Its a standard clause in any HP agreement. It normally appears in the termination rules.

I taken advantage of once in the past and will doing it again when my A3 is delivered in a few months time.

Reactions: RSS-S3
My partner terminated her Citroen DS3 agreement early, no real issues other than that the dealership was annoyed that she then went elsewhere.

I was more annoyed that she then chose another DS3 ;-)

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Jassyo06
Early termination - account closed with no outstanding balance. It's a good thing.

Interesting! I applied for a loan recently for home improvements. Never missed a payment for a loan or mortgage (paid off and own my own home) and the offer came back at double the interest rate they were advertising.

I would have thought that handing a car back without completing the finance contract agreed would be detrimental to your credit rating?

On a 4 year pcp term....yo can only hand it back....month 38

Reactions: RSS-S3
Quite. In fact, given that most FVF's are at or around 50% of the purchase price, this clause probably doesn't get a lot of use.

I terminated my old Skoda octavia vrs mk3.

I had paid just over 50% and exercised my right to get rid!

No credit effects, as its a legal right for you to terminate (as long as you have paid 50% or more)

Not strictly true, you can hand it back earlier but you'll need to make a payment to reach the 50% of the value
The point it reaches 50% also depends on how much capital / deposit you put in the pot at the start of the agreement.

Last edited:
Interesting! I applied for a loan recently for home improvements. Never missed a payment for a loan or mortgage (paid off and own my own home) and the offer came back at double the interest rate they were advertising.

I would have thought that handing a car back without completing the finance contract agreed would be detrimental to your credit rating?

Loans and PCP (Hire Purchase) agreements are legally different. a standard loan does not have the option to hand back at 50% value.

No, as long as you have paid more than 50% of the finance off, you are legally entitled to terminate the agreement early. You haven't defaulted or missed a payment so it does not effect your score.

Not strictly true, you can hand it back earlier but you'll need to make a payment to reach the 50% of the value
The point it reaches 50% also depends on how much capital / deposit you put in the pot at the start of the agreement.

Same thing, your paying more to reach that 50% mark, but even if you've reached that 50% just through normal payments, if you've done more than the stated annual mileage quoted on your agreement, they've got you on that...

So some dealers were interested and receptive when my wife called and enquired on what they could do on the price of the 1.5 BE A3 s-tronic (Coulsdon Audi were v unhelpful). I've had back £403 a month with all the same options, finance payments as I listed above.

More interestingly I've had a quote of £440 for an A3 BE (solid paint) 2.0 s-tronic Quattro with tech pack, comfort & sound pack, folding mirrors and reverse camera! Hmmmm.

Can I ask if anyone feels if the BE is worthwhile if I'm adding the comfort &a sound pack as it makes the *** redundant from the BE upgrade as it replaces it with a B&O sound system.

I saw an advert the other day where Audi we're offering Quattro equipped cars for the same price as 2WD spec.

You're buying at a opportune time. :yum: