Facelift A3 ,S3 or A4 which to go for.

markm,

Reaction score
Website
www.amtuning.uk
Im racking my brains on what to do.. I purchased a Blk Edt A4 3.0 tdi quattro in March. and its been in the garage for 3 plus weeks with various issues so the dealer has agreed to refund as I dont want it back due to the problems it had....

I dont know what to replace it with, I still wanting an A4 3.0 TDI Blk Edt I cant find the right spec so I've been looking at alternative options. over the weekend I drove 2 different cars..

The first was an A3 2.0tdi 184bhp Quattro STronic .. on paper this is 1 second slower than the A4. but it felt so slow... and didnt have that thrust of power.

Took an S3 S Tronic out after that and this ticks all the box, sounds great and reminds me of my Focus ST-3 and had the go of the 3.0tdi, the DIS was showing 33mpg which isnt to far away from the A4 which was returning 35mpg. Im not sure if this is typical as it had ECU issues. but is 33mgp low ?

My first option is the A4 again.. but I'm worried I will suffer from this new Diesel taxing coming in soon.. most likely an increase in fuel duty but will still adds something to think about . Mr Practical says go for the A3 as the DIS was showing 50mpg so this is the best for my pocket with ok power.

so confused lol

Im racking my brains on what to do.. I purchased a Blk Edt A4 3.0 tdi quattro in March. and its been in the garage for 3 plus weeks with various issues so the dealer has agreed to refund as I dont want it back due to the problems it had....

I dont know what to replace it with, I still wanting an A4 3.0 TDI Blk Edt I cant find the right spec so I've been looking at alternative options. over the weekend I drove 2 different cars..

The first was an A3 2.0tdi 184bhp Quattro STronic .. on paper this is 1 second slower than the A4. but it felt so slow... and didnt have that thrust of power.

Took an S3 S Tronic out after that and this ticks all the box, sounds great and reminds me of my Focus ST-3 and had the go of the 3.0tdi, the DIS was showing 33mpg which isnt to far away from the A4 which was returning 35mpg. Im not sure if this is typical as it had ECU issues. but is 33mgp low ?

My first option is the A4 again.. but I'm worried I will suffer from this new Diesel taxing coming in soon.. most likely an increase in fuel duty but will still adds something to think about . Mr Practical says go for the A3 as the DIS was showing 50mpg so this is the best for my pocket with ok power.

so confused lol

33mpg is amazing in an S3 - its not an option if you are concerned about economy and certainly no match for the diesel in that respect.

Reactions: phobos512 and markm,

so confused lol

Really depends on your priorities and what you'll be using it for. Economy, performance, size etc.

I've no experience of the A3 model you mention so I'm not qualified to comment but I detect from your comments that it's not really for you other than the economy side of things.

The S3 has fantastic performance, fun to drive and 33mpg is decent. I get between 28 and 32 on my commute.

The A4, again I've not driven but I've driven 3.0 diesel A5's and A7's and it's a great engine albeit not that economical for a diesel. It's probably the sensible option in that it has performance and an all round performer.

Personally the S3 would put the biggest smile on my face I suspect.

Reactions: markm,
28mpg?! Im lucky if it gets to 22!

28mpg?! Im lucky if it gets to 22!

Yup, it's 20 miles on back roads but averaging 50 - 60 mph with no traffic (we'll not that I can't zip past anyway). But in saying that I'm mostly in Dynamic, toggling in and out of full Sport mode so could do better if I tried but that's not why I bought it.

Reactions: OST
Really depends on your priorities and what you'll be using it for. Economy, performance, size etc.

I've no experience of the A3 model you mention so I'm not qualified to comment but I detect from your comments that it's not really for you other than the economy side of things.

The S3 has fantastic performance, fun to drive and 33mpg is decent. I get between 28 and 32 on my commute.

The A4, again I've not driven but I've driven 3.0 diesel A5's and A7's and it's a great engine albeit not that economical for a diesel. It's probably the sensible option in that it has performance and an all round performer.

How many miles do you get out of a tank ? the 3.0tdi was doing about 400 miles at £60

Reactions: Audi Bairn
You are living the dream!!

Mine is start stop 12 miles each way!

Yup, it's 20 miles on back roads but averaging 50 - 60 mph with no traffic (we'll not that I can't zip past anyway). But in saying that I'm mostly in Dynamic, toggling in and out of full Sport mode so could do better if I tried but that's not why I bought it.

How many miles do you get out of a tank ? the 3.0tdi was doing about 400 miles at £60

I filed up today and it says 305

I got 333 out of my last tank - £59, Lincoln to Bedford I saw 40.2mpg.

Up to 300 miles approx. I tend to fill up when the range is down to 40 or 50 miles. But no different from my S5 so I'm used to it. Usually costs £50 - £55 but I'm on super Unleaded and the range then goes up to 360.

I really don't think there will be an increase in fuel duty at the pumps for dervs. The tax increases talked about are for inner city driving for the highest polluting older vehicles pre Euro 6. Given the volume of diesel cars on the road ( does anyone else ever see a 3 series that isn't a 320d?! ) there would be out rage and roits if taxes and duty went up! If you're buying on pcp you'll never be lumbered with a diesel if you're going to change /hand or back after 2/3 years. Personally I'd go the S3 only because I don't and never have liked diesels :whip:

so confused lol

Can you not go with an A3 2.0TFSI Quattro or 1.8TFSI Quattro?

I went for the A3 190 TFSI as the best compromise for me and haven't regretted it.
I seem to be in the minority though.
Less than 7 seconds to 60 - but I rarely get the chance to drive it like that.
Low 30's mpg day to day city stop start grind at an average 18mph.
Went for a couple of days up to the Lake District fully loaded with kids and luggage.
Steady motorway drive at 75ish mph - 48mpg.
In my opinion more refined than the black pump.
Almost as much torque and over a wider rev range
Not as exciting as an S3 - but as already said I'd hardly ever get to use the extra circa 100 horses.
No worries re any city centre diesel duty (I drive through Birmingham most days) if / when it comes.