A3/S3 Glovebox Door

ApolloS3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The door on my glovebox has been getting worse and worse, and finally last night it snapped in one corner, the latch mechanism is also horrific, it requires a very hard slam to close, anyone else find this?

Does anyone know if audi sell just the door part? id rather not buy a whole new glovebox...

Jordan

Mine's exactly the same, really temperamental. It's one of those things that if it costs a shed load to fix I can happily ignore but if it's £20-30, then i'll jump on it!

I have a whole glovebox here for sale.

Hey guys,

The door on my glovebox has been getting worse and worse, and finally last night it snapped in one corner, the latch mechanism is also horrific, it requires a very hard slam to close, anyone else find this?

Does anyone know if audi sell just the door part? id rather not buy a whole new glovebox...

Jordan

Just wanted to add a bit of feedback that the worst part of my S3 owning experience was the glove box door; so much so I had 3 different units replaced over the 6 years. Audi only seem to hold either the door plus hinge or the full assembly (door hinge plus glovebox), I never saw them replacing just the hinge (even when I asked during the last time). It is a definite weakness when used on every trip...

The weak point is not the hinge as such, its the brake element that dries out over time & people pull it down to open it, which after a while stresses the joint, which any joint under a fair bit of stress would make it break.

I've strengthened mine, but greased the brake part & its been fine since only because of the lube.

Reactions: ApolloS3
The weak point is not the hinge as such, its the brake element that dries out over time & people pull it down to open it, which after a while stresses the joint, which any joint under a fair bit of stress would make it break.

I've strengthened mine, but greased the brake part & its been fine since only because of the lube.

So far ive used WD-40 on the part you describe, it moves a bit better now but still not perfect, would silicone lubricant be better? Id rather not have to take the whole glovebox out if i can help it...

Not sure how im going to get the hinge to stay together, super glue doesnt seem to be holding much under the weight of the door.

I completely removed my glovebox, used this (http://www.rapidonline.com/catalogueimages/module/M077520P01WL.jpg) and put some weights on it to keep pressure on it overnight. Removed the brake element from the hinge and its been fine since. Not fussed about the brake, hardly use my glovebox as it is. The light wont come on if u remove the brake btw.

If uve used superglue make sure u scrap all that off before using the hard plastics glue, and use a fair bit of glue too. Dont try to rush the drying process either, just let it set by itself

Innotec Topfix goes of in seconds & its like a weld joint afterwards, at £25 a tube its expensive, but I use it often for work & its brilliant, but the damn syringes are £1 each & they are chucked/renewed on each use of the resin, but its so much better than anyother resin/epoxy used before.