A3/S3 FAQ / How To's / Tuning Info STICKIES - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Use of the english language :readit:

IMPORTANT! - When posting asking for help... - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING :readit:

General Information,useful to all

Performance enhancements

External problems and modifications

All you (probably) need to know about dump valves on 1.8t's

Electronics and diagnosis

Internal modifications and How To Guides

Retro fitting guides

Fitting a Stack boost gauge while making it look OEM... (and a Liquid gauge...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Simon50s and djuka
Hi there just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction drivers side electric window of my 2001 a3 quatt decided to play up at the weekend went down and stopped before getting to the bottom, then when I tried to close window it goes up slowly then stops and goes down like it's detected something in the way and goes down inch or so before stopping, removed card at weekend could not see anything obvious no broken glass clips etc, greased/w.d'd runners and rubbers which made window go down fully and at normal speed even undid the 4 x hex headed bolts that hold window frame to door shell in case window out of shape, window did seem bit better after all this but still not right, today started going up and jumping down like before also speed going down is fine but very slow going up. I replaced door few weeks ago but window mech is the origional one which has not given me any problems before door swap or after...until now.
They electric window motors are handed so pass will not fit onto drivers but the splines do line up so tried the passenger side on drivers window and was still slow going up so not sure if fitting new drivers side motor will cure prob, didnt want to go down the fit it and see route as always expensive so before go any further thought best to see if any of you guys have had simlar... sorry for waffle cheers for reading post...Houch

Hi there just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction drivers side electric window of my 2001 a3 quatt decided to play up at the weekend went down and stopped before getting to the bottom, then when I tried to close window it goes up slowly then stops and goes down like it's detected something in the way and goes down inch or so before stopping, removed card at weekend could not see anything obvious no broken glass clips etc, greased/w.d'd runners and rubbers which made window go down fully and at normal speed even undid the 4 x hex headed bolts that hold window frame to door shell in case window out of shape, window did seem bit better after all this but still not right, today started going up and jumping down like before also speed going down is fine but very slow going up. I replaced door few weeks ago but window mech is the origional one which has not given me any problems before door swap or after...until now.
They electric window motors are handed so pass will not fit onto drivers but the splines do line up so tried the passenger side on drivers window and was still slow going up so not sure if fitting new drivers side motor will cure prob, didnt want to go down the fit it and see route as always expensive so before go any further thought best to see if any of you guys have had simlar... sorry for waffle cheers for reading post...Houch

Sounds like broken window slips to me, common problem, and was in the FAQs above.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/22915-faulty-s3-electric-window-fix.html

i'm sure theres alot of "how to's" missing from here......top mounts

Can I just point out that as a newbie to the forum and my a3, this is the best stickies thread I've seen on any forum ever! It's like a toy shop! Full of things I can play with! ;)

Thanks to all that have added to this! It's VERY appreciated!

Reactions: MIGGZ, Tim_Attard and Sandra
FINALLY someone who read them :D
Although :) There needs to be more about audio here, for instance I've fitted a new HU and there is some feedback coming from the rear speakers, I ignored this as the sub worked lovely and everything seemed cool. Now the car won't start as I guess the HU has caused the battery to train (assumptions). Unless I'm missing the thread title with what I'm searching for...

Although :) There needs to be more about audio here, for instance I've fitted a new HU and there is some feedback coming from the rear speakers, I ignored this as the sub worked lovely and everything seemed cool. Now the car won't start as I guess the HU has caused the battery to train (assumptions). Unless I'm missing the thread title with what I'm searching for...

That's not really anything specific to the 8L model though- that just sounds like the system hasn't been wired up correctly with the install of a new HU, sub, speakers and amps. So that's pretty generic for any car...

There's a whole section dedicated to ICE related stuff where you can post for help on ASN -

In-Car Entertainment

Hi guys as I searched trough the forum and I haven't found any help with this thing I will post here , so here is the deal

I recently bought a 2001 A3 1.8T AUM and I started to search info about what to do to get more power. I got a KN oem air filter and now I was looking for a DV and I found this one for sale and after watching on youtube how to install the valve and reading all the comments from there I don't know if this valve will be ok for my engine , the other thing that I don't like is how it's get installed ( looks like crap) Everywhere I read about DV's where shown instaled on the silicone TIP (my next purchase)

Can anyone please help me ?Should I buy this valve or not?

Hi guys as I searched trough the forum and I haven't found any help with this thing I will post here , so here is the deal

I recently bought a 2001 A3 1.8T AUM and I started to search info about what to do to get more power. I got a KN oem air filter and now I was looking for a DV and I found this one for sale and after watching on youtube how to install the valve and reading all the comments from there I don't know if this valve will be ok for my engine , the other thing that I don't like is how it's get installed ( looks like ****) Everywhere I read about DV's where shown instaled on the silicone TIP (my next purchase)

Can anyone please help me ?Should I buy this valve or not?

I assume you read the threads linked too in the first post of this FAQ thread that discusses dump valves?

Dv

Actual links are in the first post

<tuffty/>

I assume you read the threads linked too in the first post of this FAQ thread that discusses dump valves?

View attachment 48378

Actual links are in the first post

<tuffty/>

Actually I didn't found anything about the one I wanted to buy or I just didn't noticed . I'm new in vag things and turbos and stuff , I also own a bimmer but I always wanted a 1.8T so this one is my new project . I learned loads of stuff from here and I apologise if I posted in wrong area , and thanks for your advises

Actually I didn't found anything about the one I wanted to buy or I just didn't noticed . I'm new in vag things and turbos and stuff , I also own a bimmer but I always wanted a 1.8T so this one is my new project . I learned loads of stuff from here and I apologise if I posted in wrong area , and thanks for your advises

No problem dude...

<tuffty/>

Anybody help with an idiots guide to removing the drivers-side front wing?

Need to remove mine / replace as I've recently acquired a new one & will refit new one on the drive.

• Any specific tool / tips?

Thank you.
Joe

Damn, sorry to bump up such an old thread but my goodness this is a playground of a thread... Jesus... thank you to all the members who have done these how to's, absolutely brilliant...!

Reactions: DirkOz
Damn, sorry to bump up such an old thread but my goodness this is a playground of a thread... Jesus... thank you to all the members who have done these how to's, absolutely brilliant...!
Nice to see someone actually uses them :)

...from the types of posts I see often it would seen you are one of the few that do..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: DirkOz, Sandra and silestanix
Nice to see someone actually uses them :)

...from the types of posts I see often it would seen you are one of the few that do..

<tuffty/>

Definitely... I'm doing the catch tank mod as mine has a breather filter fitted, it gave me a headache when in traffic this morning, first drive to work in it...

Also refitting the OEM air box as I'm scarred by maf & turbo damage on previous cars by using k&n and cone style filters. This one is a ram air foam one and hasnf done many miles bit I'm still gonna go oem...

Reactions: Sandra