A3/S3 Arm rest broken handle

KieranS3

Reaction score
I have broken the little handle for opening and closing my arm rest on my S3 and left me with two little bits of plastic rattling about where it used to be clipped in.. Does anyone know if you can buy this part separate or do you need to buy a whole lid/arm rest? I know they're quite a common thing to fail as its not the first Audi I've seen this on.

Cheers

Yes, you can buy them separate. My GF bought me one a few weeks ago as were discussing it whilst I was driving, and she looked on her phone and ordered it for me.
I'll try and get more details when I see her later.

As for replacing it, it is a pig of a job as you need to remove the armrest lid from the car (easy enough) and prise the plastic up at the corners nears the loose plastic bits. This took two of us as substantial pressure was needed to raise the plastic enough to wiggle the loose bits out, and obviously the same to refit.

I used a very small flat head driver to get under it, and then used progressively larger tools in order to get leverage without bending/breaking anything.
It's fiddly and makes you think something is going to break. Just be forceful but patient.

Last edited:
Check oit youtube as there is a video on how to do it . All you need to so is remove the kid itself and leave armrest in situ .open AR and at the bk you should see 2 plastic legs which attach lid to AR push them together and gently wiggle it side to side and it should slide out off the retaining holes then you have just the lid .