D31V

Reaction score
Hey, Hoping someone can offer some advice

My A3 has hit 38k miles and as such Audi recommend a transmission oil change... which i can't book in due to Covid-19 etc, which i understand.

The First MOT is due in November, is it wise to continue using the car until then and get the transmission oil changed? will put another 300-500 miles over 38k.

Gear changes are still smooth, no clunk etc

Cheers
D

I don't think 300-500 miles will make any difference at all. I think garages will start to open soon anyway.

Can you tell us more about your car rather than it just being an A3. Is it TDI, quattro etc?

But normally it wouldn't be a problem as long as Audi have written to you and confirmed it's alright you drive 300-500 more miles in the car.

Oil today is so great at keeping it's lubricating capabilities that you don't have to worry about the mechanical aspect of it. The interval for the new 7-speed DQ381 have even been raised from 60.000km to 100.000km for the oil change. The thing with gearbox oil is that it doesn't get no where near as polluted as the engine oil because it's a closed container.

Reactions: D31V and N.J.H
Can you tell us more about your car rather than it just being an A3. Is it TDI, quattro etc?

But normally it wouldn't be a problem as long as Audi have written to you and confirmed it's alright you drive 300-500 more miles in the car.

Oil today is so great at keeping it's lubricating capabilities that you don't have to worry about the mechanical aspect of it. The interval for the new 7-speed DQ381 have even been raised from 60.000km to 100.000km for the oil change. The thing with gearbox oil is that it doesn't get no where near as polluted as the engine oil because it's a closed container.

Thank you for your reply Lehn. the car is 1.5 TFSI Black Edition S Tronic.

I emailed my local Audi Garage and they have just got back to me and the gearbox oil change is not due based on reg search. I am just concerned that it clearly states, on the car via a label and online that it must be changed at 38,000 miles. I purchased the car in Feb so i do not want to do any damage etc.

D

I emailed my local Audi Garage and they have just got back to me and the gearbox oil change is not due based on reg search. I am just concerned that it clearly states, on the car via a label and online that it must be changed at 38,000 miles. I purchased the car in Feb so i do not want to do any damage etc.

D
If you want to cover all the bases and give yourself some peace of mind (now you have it in writing that as far as Audi are concerned the gearbox oil change is not due), get the oil changed anyway at an independent workshop.

And it'll cost you less.

Last edited:

D

As @Phutters say I would just get the oil changed at an independant. If you wanna look more into this I can tell you that your gearbox is called DQ200.

As @Phutters say I would just get the oil changed at an independant. If you wanna look more into this I can tell you that your gearbox is called DQ200.

Thank you @Lehn and @Phutters for your advice. I will talk to a independent garage. The local Audi garage has now advised its a sealed gearbox and thus means the oil will not need changing. Its seems that alot of people get told this when Audi search by reg... not great and confusing.

Many thanks for your advice, i will certainly read up on the gearbox, so thanks for the model ref, Lehn.

D

Reactions: Lehn
Fwiw if you care about your warranty then get everything done at an audi garage and within the time frame they request. Except, the things they dont do but need doing anyway e.g. this is not applicable to your car but for us S3 owners the haldex oil change and filter clean.

I've read a few horror stories on here as well as experiencing some of my own. If Audi can blame you or someone else they will. E.g. you just missed the service schedule related to a component which then fails. You will be blamed no matter how stupid it seems. If a 3rd party garage works on your car and something in that area fails they will blame the 3rd party garage. Typically this only tends to happen when the repair bill is significant which is when you hope your warranty would cover it.

Moral of the story is get Audi to do everything and on time in the first 3 years. I can not stress this enough. After that go to someone cheaper, better, and who actually care about their customers and cars.

Reactions: Lehn and D31V
Fwiw if you care about your warranty then get everything done at an audi garage and within the time frame they request. Except, the things they dont do but need doing anyway e.g. this is not applicable to your car but for us S3 owners the haldex oil change and filter clean.

I've read a few horror stories on here as well as experiencing some of my own. If Audi can blame you or someone else they will. E.g. you just missed the service schedule related to a component which then fails. You will be blamed no matter how stupid it seems. If a 3rd party garage works on your car and something in that area fails they will blame the 3rd party garage. Typically this only tends to happen when the repair bill is significant which is when you hope your warranty would cover it.

Moral of the story is get Audi to do everything and on time in the first 3 years. I can not stress this enough. After that go to someone cheaper, better, and who actually care about their customers and cars.

‘thanks @Damo S solid advice.

D

NB. can’t wait to be ‘an S3 owner like you’ lol :p