A3 S-Line Rapid knocking at speed

Vince L

Ibis White A3 S-Line 2.0T
Reaction score
Started happening about a month ago, very faint at first, a fast knocking noise that was higher in pitch with speed, not related to the engine revs. Going down a hill in neutral confirmed that, no change in pitch at speed. So I'm guessing it could be the diff, the sound is clearly coming from the front of the car. There's no "whinny" or "howling" sound, it's just a very fast knocking that has gotten louder with time and is now obvious.

My tech looked at the wheel bearings on both sides and said nothing wrong but would have to check the diff another time and said it could be related.

None of the sounds I've heard on videos, etc. match what I'm hearing. Any other ideas?

Happened to me and i spent hours looking for something loose/worn, turns out the wheel was loose and about to fall off!

Happened to me and i spent hours looking for something loose/worn, turns out the wheel was loose and about to fall off!
Wow that's crazy. I don't think I'm having that issue. I'm not experiencing any difference in the noise when turning, etc. And my tech would have mentioned a loose wheel were tha the case. Lastly, afaik the sound is relatively central and not just coming from one side.

I remember putting stones in my mates wheel covers, He wasn't impressed when he found out, lol.
Might be a roll bar drop link.