A3 S-line 8V 1.6 TDI MPG figures

Wiles1991

Reaction score
Guys,

Not sure if a thread exists for this already but couldnt find one.... I've been wondering what some people are getting for MPG from their 1.6 TDI S-line?

I've recently bought one and suffering really bad MPG from the apparent figures which attracted me to it... baring in mind i knew i wouldn't get those exact figures cause they are all BS.

Trying to find out if the figures are just generally way off or if something is wrong with my car!

What are your figures and with type of driving? How many miles has the car covered?

Motorway driving i have to really work hard to get 60mpg considered it apparently does 83 on the motorway according to the stats, like i said wasnt expecting it be exact cause it all depends on different factors but not nearly 25mpg less.... driving normally i struggle to get 40 when it suggests 62... i was expecting at most 10-15mpg less than what was quoted.. Car has done 36k miles

So many variables but I did a 200 mile motorway drive yesterday with 2 passengers and full boot and got 59mpg so you're around the same mark I'd say. I wasn't driving particularly economically then. I have had mid 60s on a quiet A road drive and think I could get the same on the motorway with gentle accelerations. Defo nowhere near 80s though.

Motorway driving was from Newcastle to Wakefield so 120 miles.... all decent road all the way there on the A1 (roadworks on part of it but my inst MPG was actually better doing 50 than at 70 anyway!) this was with just me in the car and nothing in the boot and being super careful driving... Yeah the 80'smpg is just a pipe dream! probably only recorded under lab conditions or something.

Iv got the 1.6tdi Sport not S-Line but assume its same unless S-line is tuned differently. Iv done 7k in mine (she's on 37k now) and average iv done is 49mpg,but this involves a lot of town driving where my norm is around 40mpg which is really good for start/stop driving. Recently on 2 big trips (UK to Portugal & then Portugal to Italy) i averaged 58.1 mpg. The car was full to the brim of stuff so imagine it would have been the same as 4 adults. 80 mph was the speed set on cruise control. She's due a service now so I'm hoping my long run figures will go up but I'm very happy with the mpg figures.

I recently posted this thread showing my trip and that i had tried the Drive Select options. Might be of interest to you :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-fotos-that-shows-efficiency-mode-is-not-so-efficient.299233/

You are correct about the 80mpg only done under laboratory conditions. If you actually look at what the test entails it's hardly representative of real world driving.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/faqs-fuel-consumptio.asp
Extra-Urban Cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle#Extra-urban_driving

"At 201 s, the car cruises at 70 km/h for 50 s (manual: in the 5th gear), then slowly accelerates to 100 km/h in 35 s and cruises for 30 s (manual: in the 5th or 6th gear).
Finally, at 316 s the car slowly accelerates to 120 km/h in 20 s, cruises for 10 s, then slowly brakes to a full stop in 34 s "

so the car cruises at 45 mph for 50 seconds accelerates to 62 mph in 35 seconds ( can you go any slower !!) and holds that for 30 seconds then accelerates to 75 mph in 20 seconds (again not exactly quick 62-75 in 20s ) then spends the next 34 seconds stopping. You can see why you might get 80mpg driving like that.
Real world if you want really good fuel economy don't use the cruise control, try to keep the speed down as drag squares with speed, 55- 60mph is a good speed. Don't try and hold the speed on a hill let it bleed off and play some really calm relaxing music :) . All very boring and none of which I do myself but if I was interested in fuel economy I wouldn't be driving around in the car I do.

Yep knew that would be the case, some stupid lab conditions which would never ever be seen in the real world! I gave up on it to be honest just wanted to make sure my car wasnt possibly suffering from something which was making it run improperly... thanks for all the info though! I'm just accepting it's never going to be anywhere near the figures or the figures i even thought it would be baring in mind i knew they would be lab condition figures and enjoying it to drive, I'm still getting better MPG then i did in my old 1.8 Astra... and £220 cheaper a year in road tax!

I am averaging very close to 50mpg in my 1.0tfsi. mostly motorway.

On my drive to work (very quiet road) if I stick to 65mph or less I can get 60mpg in warmish weather.