A3 S-line 1.4 cod

Alva78

team Nano, Black Styling package H&R 8mm spacers
Reaction score
I have just bought an 8V 1.4 150 cod car after having a 8P tdi for 7 yrs .Looking forward to going back to petrol aafter the emissions issues I have had post fix.Is there any common problems people have had with this engine /economy.Would like to hear from like minded people

Had my Sportback for 18 months or so, no problems with it whatsoever, I've been more than happy with the performance, quick enough for me as I do most of my driving in town.

Beautiful engine. Goes like a torch if you put your foot down. Very smooth and punchy in normal driving.

As above, no problems and I have to say (dangerous I know!) but it has probably been the best car I’ve had. A great combination of reasonable performance, excellent economy (44mpg on a brim to brim basis since new, 20,000 miles) and a peach of an engine. It is so smooth and quiet. You didn’t say if you have auto or not - mine is the 7 speed auto box and it matches well with the engine. I’m sure you’ll be really happy with your new car and after a diesel you’ll often think the engine has switched off. Which leads nicely to the one feature I don’t like (and that’s true of all cars) is the Stop/Start system. Drives me crazy and I didn’t like having to switch it off each time I got into the car. So I bought myself a Kufatec dongle which switches it off semi-permanently i.e. you plug it in to disable stop/start and then plug it in again to re-enable it when it goes into the garage for a service (so there’s no argument about making a mod to your car). Well worth the £30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alva78
Is the current 1.5TFSI which has replaced the 1.4 TFSI COD as well?

Like you I don't like the Stop/Start system and I have switched mine off permanently using VCDS. My dealer knows this and has never raised any issue about it.

Is the current 1.5TFSI which has replaced the 1.4 TFSI COD as well?

Like you I don't like the Stop/Start system and I have switched mine off permanently using VCDS. My dealer knows this and has never raised any issue about it.

Yes the 1.5 is also COD. There are apparently few significant changes but the turbo has been changed and now has less lag than before (not that I'm aware of it on my car).

Thanks for all the info .I will get a local retro fitter to disable the start stop on VCDS .This is whats great about these forums ..Information.BTW mine is a 6 speed manual,picking it up Sunday Has B&O Nav ,privacy glass and rear parking sensors and Glacier White paint

Reactions: glospete
Thanks for all the info .I will get a local retro fitter to disable the start stop on VCDS .This is whats great about these forums ..Information.BTW mine is a 6 speed manual,picking it up Sunday Has B&O Nav ,privacy glass and rear parking sensors and Glacier White paint

Glacier White with privacy glass is of course the ONLY colour combination to have :end of discction:

Start/stop. I know it's a contensious issue on here, but I have never really understood why people get so hot under the collar about it.
It doesn't bother me at all really. I have hold assist on and release the brake before the s/s kicks in. If I'm in a queue for any length of time I just hold the brake down for a bit longer and stop the engine. As soon as I know the queue is about to start (eg lights go red/amber) I touch the trottle to start the engine and I'm ready to touch it again to move off.

Reactions: Daveotto
I'm new around here so haven't read all the posts around start/stop but generally I don't have an issue.

Well on my last A3 the car would have to come to a complete stop before it would enable. However on my S3 it sometimes enables when the car is still moving, like very slowly just coasting to a stop... This is a bit annoying, not sure why it behaves differently than the A3 did (both PFL). But I wouldn't want to disable it entirely.

Start/stop. I know it's a contensious issue on here, but I have never really understood why people get so hot under the collar about it.
It doesn't bother me at all really. I have hold assist on and release the brake before the s/s kicks in. If I'm in a queue for any length of time I just hold the brake down for a bit longer and stop the engine. As soon as I know the queue is about to start (eg lights go red/amber) I touch the trottle to start the engine and I'm ready to touch it again to move off.

It’s not about getting hot under the collar but as I see it it’s the answer to a question that no-one ever asked. It apparently saves about 2% in fuel. Well I warrant that people’s poor driving technique uses far more than that, and ergo a far higher saving could be gained by improving driving. And I’m sure it puts more strain in the components, no matter what the manufacturers claim. I just don’t like the engine keep starting and stopping. Your technique to overcome it may be effective but I ask my original question - why have it in the first place. If, a few years ago, someone had asked for suggestions as to how to save fuel then I’m certain just no-one would have said “why don’t we have the engine keep stopping and starting in traffic”.
There that’s my opinion - other opinions are available

Reactions: h5djr
I think that the bigger claimed win is reducing pollution in urban areas. However, I'm not sure the technology would have any great effect until it is applied to lorries and buses - and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Bus drivers in particular seem to think that it's necessary to keep the engine running even if they are not planning to go anywhere for half an hour.
Try breathing in the car park of a secondary school at going home time!

Don’t get me going on schools and cars! In my school days I got the bus or mainly walked the 1.5 miles to my school. But nowadays that is regarded as impossible for the kids. Mummy now gets the Range Rover out and must make sure they can park within 50 feet of the school entrance in case their precious cargo is forced to use their legs to actually walk. And we wonder why so many kids are obese ☹️
But I do agree about buses and lorries and pollution.

The main issue I am having with S/S is that the battery costs 250+ Euros to replace once it goes bad and S/S just helps it get there faster.

However, I'm not sure the technology would have any great effect until it is applied to lorries and buses

HGV have stricter emission controls than passenger cars in terms of NOx, but CO2 is relatively high.

http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Euro-VI-versus-6_ICCT_briefing_06012017.pdf

However, when you consider that HGV and buses make up 5% and 1% respectively of all the traffic on our roads in 2014, while cars & vans make up 93%, it's easy to see why you would target cars....

https://www.licencebureau.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/road-use-statistics.pdf

But particulate emissions are another big issue in urban areas, and it's commercial vehicles and buses that are a big contributor.

But particulate emissions are another big issue in urban areas, and it's commercial vehicles and buses that are a big contributor.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/documents/reports/aqeg/ch4.pdf

Table 4.1 shows that HGV and diesel passenger cars have very similar PM following Euro IV controls in 2006 in urban driving. Difference being, the ICCT report shows that HGV go through much more stringent testing, meaning that real world emissions are likely to conform to the testing limits. As we know, that cannot be said for any passenger diesel car....even Euro VI, where the Renault Kadjar is 8x the limit in real world driving. So if anything, passenger cars are a bigger polluter and make up 94% of the traffic...!

In any case, if the HGV and buses were 10x higher, they still wouldn't be the biggest contributor given how small a proportion of the total traffic they make up. HGV's arguably cant enter many urban areas, so you are left with just buses, making up just 1% of the traffic....even if you did make all buses EV, it wouldn't change much.

I think that the bigger claimed win is reducing pollution in urban areas. However, I'm not sure the technology would have any great effect until it is applied to lorries and buses - and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Bus drivers in particular seem to think that it's necessary to keep the engine running even if they are not planning to go anywhere for half an hour.
Try breathing in the car park of a secondary school at going home time!
Correct, there is a general misconception that the start/stop system is all about mpg when in reality it is to reduce emissions whilst stationary.

Reactions: Daveotto
Think I'd rather have stop/start than pay a band or two higher VED.
Since I'm sat there anyway, not fully occupied quite all the time and the disable button is in easy reach, I'll suffer the inconvenience of pressing it.
God knows how much stress and trauma it would cause some if they had the reach out with their left arm and change gear several times - every time they wanted to set off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip Davies, DrEskimo and AllanG
Got the car now pics will follow and all ok so far .The only thing I have a concern about is my old a3 8p I used to leave it in 17degrees C on the climate control and the heater would come on it seems that I have to raise it to 20 degrees C to get the heater to come on is this normal bearing in mind this time of the year is cold.It maybe a bit to early to worry as I have onle done 50miles yet(it's a used car 2014 plate 24k on the clock)

I believe 16 degrees is the lowest temperature you can set. Therefore 17 is ****cold ⛄❄️ My wife wouldn’t get into the car if it was set there. 20 is a better bet and I think there is nothing wrong with your heater.

Reactions: Alva78 and oli356
Well guys 2 weeks in and car looks the part .can anyone help me to set up the 2 or 4 cylinder display on my car i think I have it on but it shows 2 in red all the time but not sure

Well guys 2 weeks in and car looks the part .can anyone help me to set up the 2 or 4 cylinder display on my car i think I have it on but it shows 2 in red all the time but not sure
No mate. That's not correct. The '2' in red is referring to the long term milage on the DIS.

To ascertain whether or not the engine is in 2-cylinder mode you need the short term mpg reading on the DIS (which will have a red '1' in the corner) or put the 'live mpg reading' on the screen (this is the one that is constantly changing).
When the engine is in 2-cylinder mode it will appear under the mpg

thanks Jimbo just seen it come up now and again.its a bit misleading though as it never says whether its in 4 cylinder mode.Is it supposed to stay on as mine comes up now and again.I also notice a lot of steam even when warm though the filler cap does not indicate a cylinder head problem.Will have to get this checked out

Reactions: Wxm
It says 2 cylinder when that kicks in. Nothing when it is running in 4cylinder mode (ie most of the time unless you are very light footed)

thanks Jimbo just seen it come up now and again.its a bit misleading though as it never says whether its in 4 cylinder mode.Is it supposed to stay on as mine comes up now and again.I also notice a lot of steam even when warm though the filler cap does not indicate a cylinder head problem.Will have to get this checked out

re: the steam, do u mean from the exhaust ? I’ve noticed lately with it being cold that I get a lot from the exhaust even when the engine is hot after 50 miles of driving. Don’t seem to see it on others cars. Mine is a 1.4 cod with 6k miles , 6 months old . Thinking about getting it checked out , but could be normal.

I think it's the cold weather I was begin a 66 plate a3 tonight and it was the same

Its not steam but water vapour and because cold air is denser it will not absorb water molecules. High humidity will also cause this...

Reactions: MaffewEM
I am getting used to petrol slowly and am wondering if the idle speed is correct.My car idles at700rpm is this about right?as my clutch is a bit hesitant and I kind of have to slip it a bit otherwise it could stall.the car has only 25K.could it be the fact that only 2 cylinders are pulling the car away? Any input will be helpful

The main issue I am having with S/S is that the battery costs 250+ Euros to replace once it goes bad and S/S just helps it get there faster.

Think that's a bit of a false argument, as I cant recall a single thread on here about poor battery life or need to replace a battery early

I am getting used to petrol slowly and am wondering if the idle speed is correct.My car idles at700rpm is this about right?as my clutch is a bit hesitant and I kind of have to slip it a bit otherwise it could stall.the car has only 25K.could it be the fact that only 2 cylinders are pulling the car away? Any input will be helpful

No the car will NEVER pull away in 2 cylinder mode. The engine has to be in light throttle mode and normal temperature for it to kick in. Maybe it’s just me but in 21,000 miles I have never known if it is in 2 or 4 cylinder mode. That’s how good it is.
By the way I think mine idles a little more than 700rpm but I’ll check next time I’m out.

You sem to be describing what you are taught when you start driving. You wouldn't expect to pull away with the engine idling. You have to increase the revs while slowly letting the clutch out (ie slipping the clutch)
As said elsewhere, the car would never pull away in 2 cylinder mode - as soon as you touch the throttle it would switch to 4 cylinders. Although I am not even sure it idles in 2 cylinder mode anyway.