A3 - Rust Problems or not??

graeme3127

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum - Basically I'm thinking of ordering an A3 2.0TDI Black Edition, and I've been reading various posts regarding rust problems with roof rails and underneath the rubber door strips. These do seem to be mainly on the older A3's however I wanted to know if Audi had rectified the problems with the newer models.

Replies/advice would be greatfully appreciated !!

Thanks!

I don't know about the problem at all, but can add the anecdotal evidence that my 2006 Sportback is rust-free everywhere including around the roof rails! I'm shocked to hear it TBH!

well i havent got roof rails but i can tell you that my 2004 a3 with 84k on the clock hasnt got a single little spot of rust on it as far as i know all audi's are galvanised steel so shouldn't rust

From what I,ve read they tend to start on the bottoms of the doors where the little trim at the bottom has rubbed. I presume this is on cars that have been neglected alittle...

There are a few rust spots on the A3's like any car - bottom of the front arch, bottom of the door.

However, Audi have a 12 year paint warrenty so if it needs re-done, more than likely it will be!

The doors still seem to be a weak spot, looks like they have redesigned the trim that covers the bottom of the door to help avoid it. Mine is rusting there though it can only be seen when you open door.

hey khufu is rite the doors are a weak point, mines started to drop down and had to get realined, also the clearcoat has started to come off my bonnet, booked into glasgow audi bodyshop on monday to get the bonnet repainted under audi warranty, audi,s warranty is spot on!!!! lol

Hi there
I have had two A3 and both have had some rust.. first one boot/doors the last one is roof rails...Audi will NOT cover it...any excuse will do..ie it's not penetrated ...or you have left it to long Heads they win tails you lose.
Pistol

The Audi A3 does have a rust issue. At the bottom exterior of every door you will find a plastic strip that is screwed on to the door. Over the years of ownership and day-to-day usage, it is possible that the screws cause a rust spot to break out and eventually seep upwards towards the visible area of your car's door. I have a 2006 Audi A3 Sportback that is:

1) meticulously maintained,
- washed reasonably often at every 2 - 3 weeks,
- parked indoors 90% of the time,
- oil sprayed every 12 - 18 months,
2) 100% accident- and/or bodywork- free
3) 100% original paint from Audi factory in Germany

and despite all that, all 4 of my doors are showing rust spots at said spot. I have gone to my local Audi dealer, Audi Midtown in Toronto, Canada, and the Service Department Manager Tony has worked with me to file a claim to replace all 4 doors under the Audi 12-year Rust Perforation Warranty. The reason for the claim is since this was:

1) an issue that will 100% lead to perforation of my prized-possession's doors within the next 6 years
2) repainting, according to Tony, will only be masking the rust which will come back

I cannot get myself to let go of my beautiful car yet. I had a 2000 Toyota Camry that had bodywork done due to a previous accident, and the areas which had bodywork were a rusty mess after a couple of years, whereas the non-touched areas were extremely clean. This led me to conclude that as long as I drive safe and be kind to my car, that it will reward me by looking good for at least 12 years. Hence my choice to purchase a car that may have been a bit more expensive to buy and maintain than a Toyota or a Honda, but was an absolute joy to look at, drive in, and ride in - characteristics that a not a Toyota nor Honda could ever exhibit.

Alas, now I might have to prematurely replace this car because if Audi Canada, for some reason, decides that I don't deserve the warranty coverage, then I would have to either:

1) let the car rot and basically put an expected death date on my car
2) repaint the car doors every year, which is extremely expensive and non-sensible considering Audis, when maintained as well as I have, should not visibly rust for at least 12 years. It has only been 6 years so parting with my car due to rust, that was not supposed to arrive until 12 years, is tragic.
3) replace the car doors now or later, which will probably cost around 5 - 6 thousand Canadian dollars. Still very expensive and non-sensible considering Audis as mentioned above when maintained as well as I have, should not visibly rust for at least 12 years.

Tony mentioned that it will take around 2 weeks for Audi Canada to respond with an acceptance of the claim, or rejection. Wish me luck. I will let you guys know what happens in 2 weeks.

An update to my situation. Audi of Canada has approved replacing all 4 of my doors. Bringing the car into Audi Midtown on Tuesday, then they will apparently need 4 - 5 days to work on it. I'm hoping they really are replacing them and not just paint them over. If I'm promised 4 new doors, then I expect 4 new doors. I will update you guys again after I get the car back.

Audi of Canada definitely rocked it this time! :rockwoot:

The Audi A3 does have a rust issue. At the bottom exterior of every door you will find a plastic strip that is screwed on to the door. Over the years of ownership and day-to-day usage, it is possible that the screws cause a rust spot to break out and eventually seep upwards towards the visible area of your car's door. I have a 2006 Audi A3 Sportback that is:

1) meticulously maintained,
- washed reasonably often at every 2 - 3 weeks,
- parked indoors 90% of the time,
- oil sprayed every 12 - 18 months,
2) 100% accident- and/or bodywork- free
3) 100% original paint from Audi factory in Germany

and despite all that, all 4 of my doors are showing rust spots at said spot. I have gone to my local Audi dealer, Audi Midtown in Toronto, Canada, and the Service Department Manager Tony has worked with me to file a claim to replace all 4 doors under the Audi 12-year Rust Perforation Warranty. The reason for the claim is since this was:

1) an issue that will 100% lead to perforation of my prized-possession's doors within the next 6 years
2) repainting, according to Tony, will only be masking the rust which will come back

I cannot get myself to let go of my beautiful car yet. I had a 2000 Toyota Camry that had bodywork done due to a previous accident, and the areas which had bodywork were a rusty mess after a couple of years, whereas the non-touched areas were extremely clean. This led me to conclude that as long as I drive safe and be kind to my car, that it will reward me by looking good for at least 12 years. Hence my choice to purchase a car that may have been a bit more expensive to buy and maintain than a Toyota or a Honda, but was an absolute joy to look at, drive in, and ride in - characteristics that a not a Toyota nor Honda could ever exhibit.

Alas, now I might have to prematurely replace this car because if Audi Canada, for some reason, decides that I don't deserve the warranty coverage, then I would have to either:

1) let the car rot and basically put an expected death date on my car
2) repaint the car doors every year, which is extremely expensive and non-sensible considering Audis, when maintained as well as I have, should not visibly rust for at least 12 years. It has only been 6 years so parting with my car due to rust, that was not supposed to arrive until 12 years, is tragic.
3) replace the car doors now or later, which will probably cost around 5 - 6 thousand Canadian dollars. Still very expensive and non-sensible considering Audis as mentioned above when maintained as well as I have, should not visibly rust for at least 12 years.

Tony mentioned that it will take around 2 weeks for Audi Canada to respond with an acceptance of the claim, or rejection. Wish me luck. I will let you guys know what happens in 2 weeks.

Got my car last Thursday. It was with them for 9 days and they finally got the replacement done. Thank you Audi of Canada for honoring your warranty. You have given me reason to pick Audi again when car # 2, # 3, etc, are needed!

An update to my situation. Audi of Canada has approved replacing all 4 of my doors. Bringing the car into Audi Midtown on Tuesday, then they will apparently need 4 - 5 days to work on it. I'm hoping they really are replacing them and not just paint them over. If I'm promised 4 new doors, then I expect 4 new doors. I will update you guys again after I get the car back.

Audi of Canada definitely rocked it this time! :rockwoot: