A3 Reverse lights?

MJR

Reaction score
So i realised the other night that my A3 reverse lights are pretty rubbish, i was in a narrow dark country lane with a car coming towards me, one of us had to reverse and it ended up being me, however i literally couldn't see anything behind me as i moved backward, has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix for it please?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

Seen some people fit a HID reverse light on mk5 golfs , just a shame it blows the wiper motor on our :(

If you have a rnse or other head unit with screen, get a reversing camera! Mine works fine with only the reversing lights as illumination.

Unfortunately the reverse light is a signal to other drivers, rather than an illumination light.

Bit of stupid design to say the least really isnt it! Audi should have made them user friendly, in the situation i found myself in the other night it was extremely difficult to reverse without hitting anything, i did it but i think it was more luck than anything, i might email audi and ask them why the light isn't user friendly, in the meantime maybe led is the way to go, i could do with someone who has led reverse lights to post here and let me know if they illuminate behind the car, thanks again guys!

Terrible design, just got my a3 and love it but trying to reverse up my drive is a nightmare sometimes would love to hear a fix. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't help that it's only on one side, a 2nd light would be an improvement. I've got a Cree LED bulb and it certainly helps.

Smeds.... Thank you mate, those Cree leds some good, Do you think you could take a pic from inside your car of the back windscreen to show any illumination against a wall or car, that would help a lot if we could see, ill order one and fit it ASAP if i know it works, thanks again!

Awesome, thats 100 times better than what mine show which is diddly squat, lol thanks for posting that mate!

I tried a 9w Cree led from t8ups in my 2011 S3, we hoped it would be error free due to the high wattage led , but still got a bulb warning error on the dash.

So success may be dependant on age of vehicle.

That's the ones I've got albeit from another seller.

Totally bonkers as cars get bigger and they take away a useful reversing light.

On some cars it's possible to retro fit another reversing light within the cluster.

Reactions: Tonka Toy
That's the ones I've got albeit from another seller.

Totally bonkers as cars get bigger and they take away a useful reversing light.

On some cars it's possible to retro fit another reversing light within the cluster.

Totally agree. Audi dropped a clanger by designing a pretty light cluster that isn't practical. Why not at least place reverse lights on BOTH sides and double the output? It really doesn't make sense!!:shrug:

Totally agree. I have the same issue. Thanks to those who shared those links to improved bulbs I think im gonna buy one!

Totally agree. I have the same issue. Thanks to those who shared those links to improved bulbs I think im gonna buy one!

Definitely change the bulb to LED canbus cree as it does make a difference. Sure, it's not gonna give you 20/20 vision when reversing but it improves things considerably from what is basically zero.

I attach pix of standard bulb v LED, before and after:

382 Standard Bulb
382 60w LED Bulb

Reactions: s3_trev and MJR