A3 retro fit possible?

tyr382

Reaction score
Hey all
Just bought a 07/04 8P A3
Got it very cheep but it’s completely base line no cruse control, single din stereo system, no DIS
Basically all i wasn’t installed is a RNS unit and cruse control.
Can this be done and if some one can just list of parts I need with part numbers that be awsem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what a se spec is
But it’s a A3 attraction
I think it’s base model
The instrument cluster has no lcd display or anything

So is this possible ? Can I at least install cruse control ? Or do I need to replace the whole instrument cluster ? If will the wiring be all there ?
I read that if I upgrade to the DIS with the black and white screen, I will need to upgrade my fuel tank pump with the 3rd wire for the level sensor

So is this possible ? Can I at least install cruse control ? Or do I need to replace the whole instrument cluster ? If will the wiring be all there ?
I read that if I upgrade to the DIS with the black and white screen, I will need to upgrade my fuel tank pump with the 3rd wire for the level sensor

Your model is the same as mine and I installed cruise control. No need to run a wire, it is pre-installed on that model. Only earlier models require the cable. You need the same parts as I used here: http://lightnings.dk/fartpilot_en.html

DIS has nothing to do with cruise control but installing DIS, Multifunction Steering Wheel and RNS-E was a great all together facelift to the interior.

DIS: http://lightnings.dk/fis_en.html
MFSW: http://lightnings.dk/mfsw_en.html
RNS-E: http://lightnings.dk/rnse_en.html

Reactions: Gm95
Yes have read that artical but it don’t really help considering that they got some one to do it all for them.
My worry is coding. Will there be any coding to be done ?

Yes have read that artical but it don’t really help considering that they got some one to do it all for them.

So your questions about part numbers was not answered in the article?
Considering there is coding steps in the article, would you think coding is required? (Answer is YES).

Coding is required for most VAG car retrofits.

You will need to remove the steering wheel and properly replace the Control Module as well (depending on the version you have installed), if this is not something you have tried before it is not something I would recommend you to just jump out and try. But I'll leave that to you.

The job you are going to attempt to do will not be an easy one ie ( like swapping out headunit ) so my advice would be to pay the guys who know how to do it right the first time or i guess we will maybe see questions about how to sort this and that . @Ash187 or @NHN

Reactions: FredrikA3
The job you are going to attempt to do will not be an easy one ie ( like swapping out headunit ) so my advice would be to pay the guys who know how to do it right the first time or i guess we will maybe see questions about how to sort this and that . @Ash187 or @NHN

OP’s signature implies he’s from

Reactions: ch1z64
I’m in Australia and I don’t know anyone who is able to code other then a dealer ship service department. That’s my last resort but im going to give it a crack my self with some self learning if some one can show me the way. I’m in no rush and the car it self costed me barely anything so I’m willing to learn. I’m going to start on the engine first before anything. Got a bad rattling sound at low rpm under load. For what iv been told it’s the timing chain tensioner

I’m in Australia and I don’t know anyone who is able to code other then a dealer ship service department. That’s my last resort but im going to give it a crack my self with some self learning if some one can show me the way. I’m in no rush and the car it self costed me barely anything so I’m willing to learn. I’m going to start on the engine first before anything. Got a bad rattling sound at low rpm under load. For what iv been told it’s the timing chain tensioner

From the things you’ve listed I’d have a go at it yourself if you’ve got the right tools, it’s not hard to fit an RNSE but personally I wouldn’t as they are so outdated I’d get something aftermarket as you’d get so much more for your money and it wouldn’t need coding.

Regarding cruise control I installed that on mine myself and also a flat bottom steering wheel but I had to pay someone else to code it all in for me.
There are plenty of guides on this forum on how to do it you just need to find out the parts you’ll need. obviously you need the cruise control stalk and cowling (or modify your current cowling like I did), you may also need a new steering control module depending on your car and then find the guides on how to do it as the steering wheel has to come off amongst other things.
It’s not as daunting as you would think though especially if your working off a guide but you’ll just have to pay someone to code it in for you at the end of it.
You’ll need a Spline bit to get the steering wheel off and the rest is just basic tools. Disconnect your battery while you do it aswell so you can’t mess anything up.

I hear so much about coding but what exactly is it and why are so many people so afraid of it ? Is it that hard to work with or is it just so hard to get the right training for it? Like can you get an online tutorial or Manuel ? Or are audi and Volkswagen so protective about people getting the info ?

Audi and VW aren’t protective as such, the majority are just unhelpful (I speak for those I’ve used in UK and NZ).

Regarding coding. Your car’s electronics is coded to know what parts and options your car is loaded with. If you go adding new pieces or retrofitting upgraded parts you need to update the coding so A) your car is aware it exists and B) it works.

When you update the codes there is a risk you get it wrong and if you don’t know what your original values were there is also a risk you stop other functionality for working.

VCDS is the aftermarket product many of us use:
The second url above are the producers of the product who provide support, a user forum but also reasons and fixes of the error codes.

Take a read of the retrofitting posts, whether it’s cruise control, RNS-E Aux Retrofit, Footwell Light retrofit, Door warning & Puddle Light retrofit.

These are well documented on here, all posts have a screen shot or 2 of the coding and typically a step by step guide to the retrofit.

OK I think iv got an idear of what parts I need
only problem I'm realy worried about being that my A3 is a 07/04 model, whats to say that the wiring is there waiting for me?
my plan is to install the following
2010 DIS cluster with the white display
RNS unit with ipod, blue tooth and microphone
cruse control
Multi function steering wheel.
Am I going to have to install a whole new harness ? or where all A3's fitted with the same wiring harness?
I also was hopeing to get the outside air temp working on the DIS
I don't care about codeing and crap
just wana know if the wiring is going to be there