A3 Quattro, Which axle new tyres?

smbaker

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just had two new tyres on my Quattro, just not sure whether they should be on the front or rear axle??:unsure:. At the moment they are on the rear and the front tread is down to 4mm.

This is always a debate. It used to be Quattro = 4 new tyres at a time but Audi are more relaxed now as long as you have a minimum of 4/5 mm on the other pair. I was advised as fronts wear marginally quicker I should put new pair on the front.

I'd put them on the front personally.

With the Haldex system being FWD the vast majority of the time, then both steering and drive deserve the better grip.

New tyres= rear always.
When braking the weight of the car moves forward making the back end lighter, so less grip.
So if you want your car to end up facing the wrong way put the new one's on the front...

This is always a debate. It used to be Quattro = 4 new tyres at a time but Audi are more relaxed now as long as you have a minimum of 4/5 mm on the other pair. I was advised as fronts wear marginally quicker I should put new pair on the front.
Thanks for all the replies! It is interesting, a surprise to me too the rears have gone in 13500 miles!!! No I haven't been thrashing it; (yet)....... been driving like granny grunt; makes me wonder how long they would last if pushed hard.

Thanks for all the replies! It is interesting, a surprise to me too the rears have gone in 13500 miles!!! No I haven't been thrashing it; (yet)....... been driving like granny grunt; makes me wonder how long they would last if pushed hard.

As you mention A3 Quattro I assume you mean a 170 Tdi... If that's the case what tyres were you running? We ran our last 170TdiQ for 23,000 before replacing any tyres and rears were still circa 2.5mm. We ran 225 Michelins on 18in standard (20 spoke rims).

As you mention A3 Quattro I assume you mean a 170 Tdi... If that's the case what tyres were you running? We ran our last 170TdiQ for 23,000 before replacing any tyres and rears were still circa 2.5mm. We ran 225 Michelins on 18in standard (20 spoke rims).
Yes 170tdi............Tyres from factory Bridgestone Potenza 225/40/18.

Not heard good things about Bridgestones. Bet our new one has them!! Sods law

Yes it comes with Bridgestones, got my 170 quattro in January. Car is brilliant apart from the tyres, I couldn't believe they could be so noisy even on smooth roads.