A3 quattro propshaft vibration damper.

A19quattro

Reaction score
I am doing a separate post on this, mainly for anyone who searches for the actual item, although I know at times diagnosis of the problem is not straight forward and frequently taken for a number of other things.
I am talking about A3 quattros, 2004-2007 including likes of S3s, TDI quattros, 8p models, possibly newer ones and maybe even all quattros but not sure as I don't really have enough knowledge but all must have a similar damper and certainly the 04-07 ones seem to get this issue fairly commonly. Basically if you get a vibration through the drivetrain at around 2/2500 rpm then it's likely to be this part at fault.
The genuine part is made by ZF Engineering under the name Lemforder and retails from Audi for £270 ish plus vat (at time of writing). It's a big round part (sometimes referred to as a doughnut) that fits between the rear of the propshaft and the Haldex unit (there is also a front one but they are protected by the engine cover and rarely need replaced) and it's meant to reduce vibration but as it gets older the rubber hardens and movement in the rubber and between the inner and outer rings lessens, it becomes less effective and you get unpleasant vibrations as you are driving, usually when accelerating fairly hard. Some Audi garages (from what I have read) will have you replace the entire propshaft at a cost of over £900, so beware, as others will supply this part only (Part No. 1KO 521 307A) if asked.
I have now found a supplier who actually brought them in from Germany at my initial request and will do them for approximately half the price of Audi, same OEM part, same maker. Here is the link to their website,All German Parts
Jason Hunter is the guy I have dealt with and have to say I have nothing but praise. He only has limited numbers at the moment so be quick if you need one but I am sure he will get one for you if you can wait a bit too, which is much better than ECP etc who just say it's "unavailable".
Hope others find this helpful, if you have any queries I can help with send me a PM, probably should say I have no link to this company or vested interest in it. There is another thread around (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-quattro-load-vibrating-2-thousands-revs.html) which will show that I was just fed up of paying over the odds for my parts, been stung too many times before and took on the mission to get this one particular part at a decent/honest price :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hollows wife, S3Alex and kanecullen89
I have got this exact same problem. My mate had the same on his last S3. Need to get this fixed.

Mine has also been fixed but in my case the warranty company sent a whole prop shaft. Pleased there is a lower cost option should the problem happen again though.

Ordered one of these to sort my vibration problem out, going to fit myself, looks easy enough.

Bought an a3 TDI Quattro couple weeks back with the same problem seems to be very common. Lucky i had a warranty though, dropping it off tomorrow to get it repaired.

I can very highly recommend Jason Hunt and allgermanparts. He went out of his way to help me, excellent service and a very reasonable price.

what sort of job is this, how easy etc and is it a DIY on jacks/ramps

early 2008 you can get the bush on its own but the later ones don't show up on Audi's parts catalogue that it comes separately and you need to buy and new complete propshaft.

People say you can fit the early one but when I checked, Audi do two different ones depending on there vin No.

Only issue I had that there expensive.. about £300

I called GSF and gave them my details and they do one for a lot cheaper, I get trade so I can get a good deal, I paid £100

I have fitted it and its all sorted now.