a3 quattro gearbox help please

lloyd davies

Reaction score
hi i recently bought a 2006 a3 2.0 tdi quattro 6 speed manual 170bhp. i am lookimg for a gearbox for it my code is JLY but its proving difficuilt to find one. could someone with more knowleage than me help me out as to what other gearbox codes i could use for roughly the same gear ratios but would fit the vehicle and accocmodate the transfer box. any help would be great please i am new to the audi world and have no idea on their engine/gearbox codes at the moment and cant find any informative information. thanks

Have you had the box checked out by a dsg expert? Some faults can be rectified simply by those who know.

haha. thanks for the link. yea iv had a look on ebay but cannot find a exact match on there. thats why i was hopefull someone on here knows every gearbox code and what they fit.. it looks to me that my transfer box will bolt to some 2wd boxes but again i need.someome who has done it to confirm or deny before i go buying a gearbox and telling the garage it will work. thanks

the problem with my gearbox is a leek on the final drive seal on the end of the box. and a stripped thread on the top gearbox mount i wanted a direct replacement because its easier to get a garage to take on the job of a gearbox swap than the above mentioned jobs. and then i would also have a spare once i fixed the problems on the floor.

The quattro seems to have a lower gear ratio than front wheel drive in the a3

A family members 2.0tdi fwd sits around 2k rpm at 70mph in 6th

My 8p quattro 170 sits at 2200 in 6th

Maybe the difference for the code

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

still not having a great deal of luck finding a exact replacement. alot of the ones with different codes such as KDY JLX all look the same from the pictures im guessing their just different ratios. but guessing is not good enough for me to go ahead with the purchase. then there are also the GRF boxes that are out of 2wd but look like they will accomodate a transfer box because they have the spline shaft out of the drivers side instaed of the driveshaft cup like most 2wd boxes. or can the driveshaft cup be removed off any 2wd box to then bolt on a transfer box because most seem to have the bolt holes. i know i have a lot of questions lol any one who has had any experience with any of these issues please let me know im looking for any info i can thanks

I have the same problem. It’s a bit of a long story but here goes... I have a 2007 Audi A3 2.0 tdi 170 Quattro that I have recently bought back after selling it. When I bought it back the clutch was slipping so I couldn't give it a good test drive. I’ve since had the clutch and flywheel replaced with no problems but what it has revealed is that the gearbox has been replaced with the incorrect gearbox by the previous owner, the ratios are completely wrong and the car tops out at 95mph. The original box was a JLY and I have managed to source the original but it needs a complete rebuild at around £1200. I’ve just bought a second hand box (50k miles & 3month warranty) and was told it was a JLY but it’s just arrived and has KNZ stamped on it. They have assured me that it’s the correct box and the ratios will be fine. but after doing some research i think i'm going to have the same issue. Can anyone helpy? Thanks, Jason

eBay has JLY

Get their word get it in writing and then hold them accountable if you do decide to fit it