A3 power steering vs BMW

EnLight

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my very first time on this forum so apologies if I posted in the wrong area.

I purchased an Audi A3 as my very first car. I also have a BMW 5 series sitting on my drive (2015) which I will only be able to insure after a years no claims.

My question is about the power steering of the two vehicles:
When turning the A3’s steering wheel it’s smooth as butter however whenever I turn the BMW’s steering wheel it feels incredibly hard... in a way I feel like I will not enjoy driving the BMW because of this after driving the Audi.

Could someone explain why is this? Preferably if you’ve owned both brands in the past. Is it to do with the size of the vehicles or are Audi’s just better engineered ?(no bias please haha)

Note both vehicles have had services done regularly. No faults at all.

Thanks to all who reply.

Have you checked that your BMW has servotronic? If not, that's why. My 1 series got it while my friends 3 series didn't got it, it was a totally different experience since my steering was easy and light at low speeds and firm and controlled at highway speeds, whereas his was a PITA to get around in at low speeds because if was used to something else.

I guess you have Dynamic steering on your A3? It adjusts beside the weight, also the steering ratio, that's why it felt so different when you go back to the BMWs. I basically had to relearn how to steer again after driven the 8V for a while and then back to the 5ers, it's like an understeer nightmare except it's you not turning the steering wheel enough...