a3 new owner

KarateAceman

Reaction score
right guys and girls ive just bought an a3 1.9 tdi se spec on a 52 plate currently having cam belt done looking at replacing head unit which cd player doesnt work its a double din standard bose system. looking at getting either an audi sat nav or aftermarket double din with sat nav any guides or help would be appreciated

Reactions: Sandra
Hi, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Any pics of the car. Check out the faqs threads at the top of this section for guides. Enjoy the forum :)

Right after running the car a few days gonna keep the speakers and Bose sub all I want to do is change the head unit for and aftermarket double din unit with gps is it just a standard pull out change and add gps antenna it's already a double din can take photos of the front of the car if it helps anyone have shots of the back wiring

You'll wish it was as easy as that mate. :blink:

Haven't done it myself so don't quote me on this but usually I think you need a double din stereo surround that fits an A4 from around the same era and then that has to be trimmed to fit the A3 console.

The wiring can be a bit tricky as well as you have to get the correct wiring harness adapters as the Bose system is a law unto itself.

A lot of people have done it though so there is info on this site about it.

Try using some keywords in the search function (top of the page to the right of the 'The Trading Post' heading) on both the A3/S3 8L section and the ICE section.

Sorry I can't help you much but have a search and you should find some answers.

So from what I can gather getting an audi replacement unit with sat nav is best bet

Aftermarket you only trim a face plate original Audi you have to trim the actual head unit both a bit of a pain really so depends what head unit you prefer.
Is your car full bose or half Bose you don't have to rip the bose out just buy a harness off eBay depending on which head unit you get

Last edited:
Looking at aftermarket with gps double din. Think it is full Bose

Even if my original head unit is double din and any other wiring

Yeah even if double din as they don't do one for the a3 so need to use the a4 as it's the closest to it and just trim it should find plenty of how to guides online
Wiring depends on head unit search e.g. Kenwood to Audi bose harness
Or rnse to Audi bose
Google is your friend

So buy wiring harness head unit gps antenna and facia that should do it all