A3 model/spec envy

slimbloke

Reaction score
Website
www.underwired.com
so, each time you see another A3 on the road, do you instantly check out the wheels/model/engine size/exhaust and compare it to your own... especially if in multi-lane traffic or a motorway?

I know I do...

too right, just glad i havent seen another 3.2 S-Line on the road to match mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

meant to also say i'm selling mine in 6 months, hopefully there wont be an S3 out by then.

[ QUOTE ]
Mike_P said:
Loads of sportbacks round here, and quite a few 2.0TDIs.. yet to see another 3.2 QSport tho... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... seeing sportsbacks with the 4x4 crowd using them for the morning run to school a fair bit... the only other 3.2Quattro S-Line I saw was a week before I bought mine. It kinda cemented my choice of next car there and then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyone a little bored with their A3 yet? I used to think my 3.2 S-line was quick, but i'm used to it now after 5000 miles. Going to sell it in June anyway, looking at the Mercedes SLK55 AMG, although Merc have a terrible name at the mo.

Even 1,4 would be quick in snow and ice, traction would be the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. But nah, I'm not bored at least, I've test driven lots of cars lately though, and I only feel more lucky and lucky with my current car.

- Yak

Here in Ireland cars cost a hell of a lot more than the UK. ie if I specced a 3.2 quattro like my 2.0L TDI with Sunroof, full leather etc then I'd be lookin' at about €50,000. Needless to say you don't see many around!! In fact I've only seen 1 other 2.0TDI and never a 3.2V6. Lots of 1.6's though!! Haven't felt envious yet!!

I do checkout badges though like slimbloke and every other new A3 I've seen drive past my car outside work, I've also seen slow down and crane their neck to checkout what my rear badge says.

I guess it stands to reason that we wouldn't have gotten the more exclusive A3 if we didn't want to kinda 'beat the Jones' otherwise we all would have bought Golfs which themselves seem to have a 'beat the ford focus Jones' about them too. So its not suprising that we checkout what spec the other Audi driving 'Jones' have!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MateloT, how can you get bored with it?
"used to the power" I would understand it but "bored"???/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I find that you can have fun with any car when pushed close to the car/ your own limit

Lately I have had so much fun trying to anticipate when the haldex is gonna kick in hard or when how/when/why the car understeers like what gear/rpm/turning angle
what is weird is that it is actually real difficult to find a pattern of its reaction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
a bit sad but i just love that (endless?) search

Well, i'm not really that much of a technical driver, so I wouldnt even know what a Haldex is and what happens when it kicks in. and yeh, the 3.2 can still suprise me, but I have a chance of getting the merc slk55 amg which is a 5.5l v8 and for the most part the 3.2 is like any other small hatch back. I really quite fancy a sports car now.

btw, as you're selling yours, what you thinking about getting instead?

MateloT, when getting to SLK55 AMG.. why it instead of 350?-) Acceleration is about the same, handling is said to be better in 350 (since it's lighter), and that 55AMG is.. cheating version without supercharger. Alright, it's more rare, but costs a lot in contrast what you get.

As for Steve, wasn't he selling because he is moving to different country, with left-side-driver.

- Yak

MateloT,
I understand where you coming from and I dont think no-one can reasonably compare a Merc SL55amg and an A3 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
completely different cars in every way!
the SL is more.... well everything (money, perf...) except space.

Anyway I am very far from a technical driver neither. and i mean not at all. it took me a while to understand how to drive a quattro in corners and I am still learning so much! and that's what i described above as fun

to answer your question, as Yak said , I am going back to France so need a LHD car.
For the moment I am torn between 2 choices:
1- get an old (late 80's) 911 (964) C2 or C4 cab, or if budget allows still an old 911 but the 993 early 90's. I have seen some nice LHD 964 C2 cab at around 16k. that would do me nicely. I could buy it in the uk and then "import" it thraight to France when I move back
2- other option is get an old diesel for run around and get a car for tracks and fun. There I am not decided at all but it could go from a renault turbo 2, delta HF integrale to a caterham, or kit car like an ultima

but all that will be for later as I first need to sort out job, house, location in France.....

Hmmm, this sounds like i'm missing out on some of the fun then. I drive it hard but i've never had any kind of understeer/oversteer, never had it slide on me once, although i never turn traction control off, maybe thats what i'm missing?

@ MateloT:
If you dont get no understeer either you're real real good driver or you dont push it near to its limit!
I find that even when i push it hard i never light the ESP so no reason to turn it off really. as for oversteer, it is near impossible with a standard chassis setup I would think. It happened only once but only for a second or so

@ The911SC:
not sure about the boxster. no reason but i dont fancy it. and a LHD boxster S would be hard to find in the UK anyway

stephv6: maybe i dont understand what undetseer is then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

911sc: i'd prefer something quicker, if i could find a 911 turbo for about £50,000 then I may go for it, tbh not even thought about a porka until now.

MateloT where're you?
we could always have a spin someday if you want

Oi! Off topic envy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No matter how much I love porsche, I'd still be embarrassed to say I had one, and for that matter been seen in one... sorry!

Anyway, I'm not talking about MY 3.2 or any other, just when you have the same model car, and try and compare the spec of the other... not easy on some Audis due to the small additions/clues to what's under the skin.

[ QUOTE ]
MateloT said:
yak i assume you mean the nissan 350z? If so i've been in one, only as a passenger, but didnt like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant SLK350. I would never recommend Nissan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. The difference between SLK350 and SLK55 AMG is minimal, price difference isn't. And you can't get SLK55 with manual?

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi said:
Back on thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi said:...I'm only envious if they have uncurbed alloys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

or one that is more shiny in this terrible weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9000 miles for me and still getting better/deeper
engine response is getting better and better as well!

haven't got DSG!
so i take it you have. is that any good?
did you measure 0-62 with and without launch control?

I am the biggest fan of manual.. to the point of putting a very harsh Organic Helix Clutch in my last car and loving it... even to the point of turning up for an A3 test drive... but then I tried it, and found it can be fun too. I see just about equal amount of pros & cons for each, but I wanted to 'option' of being able to cruise if need be, so having the fully auto capability was the winning factor, i.e. the option of choosing fully or semi auto. Love the "S" mode in fully auto though... keeps the revs in the power band no matter what you're doing!

stupid question surely but do you get a little of wheel spin in launch control?

nah, but I do in "s" mode planting my foot through the floor off the lights round a corner, but that's another story (and then, only a small squeal).

With the ESP off, it still seems to transfer the power well to the ground

I never noticed any diffference with or without ESP
wheels never ever spin it seems
only once did i get the wheel spining but the reaction of the ESP frightened me, ie nearly got the car to stall??
very very weird????