A3 MMI plays .WAV files (lossless format) and possible for album artwork to display

PjDali

Reaction score
Having had the new car a week or so have been playing with various file formats and seeing what would \ would not play I'm fairly chuffed I can play a lossless format as it does sound a bit more 'solid' compared to some of the MP3 (320) files I created....not a massive difference in sound I admit but for those of us who would prefer a non compressed music format, I thought it was useful to share.

I have previously ripped all my CDs onto a WAV format by using Windows Media Player to make it easy to stream music in the house via Xbox 360 and whilst I was happy enough to see WAV files copied onto an SDXC playing in the car, I was surprised that simply copying the entire album folder to the SD card the Audi MMI picked up the album art.

I know you cannot embed album art into a WAV file so looks like whatever files Windows Media Player creates for album art the A3 MMI can read it.

Interesting! Didn't think it could play any lossless formats. Does WMP create a companion file to contain the artwork then?

Had a wee look at the folder that WMP creates when ripping a CD and it does create a few image files relating to album art so can only imagine one of these files is being read by the MMI software. I did copy the entire folder onto the SD Card so the image files must also be on the card.

Like you'd posted a while back there is no suggestion in the owners manual that WAV files could be played back but no complaints from me if they can be....

Bro, could you show in an image how it looks or describe the file extensions that WMP created for your CD rip?<br>Much appreciated!<br><br>Lumacmu

<br><br>
Had a wee look at the folder that WMP creates when ripping a CD and it does create a few image files relating to album art so can only imagine one of these files is being read by the MMI software. I did copy the entire folder onto the SD Card so the image files must also be on the card.<br>
<br>
<br>
Like you'd posted a while back there is no suggestion in the owners manual that WAV files could be played back but no complaints from me if they can be....
<br>
<br>

Will try and do this tomorrow.
Hi PjDali.
Can you please tell what files your media player created. My media player does not create any album art files for wav rips.
If there are any text files, please post them too, in case they are required.