A3 MMI "cannot be updated by Audi or anyone else"

ajhemingway

Reaction score
Apologies is this is a well-known issue. I've tied myself in knots reading the numerous posts about MMI issues and updates and I'm not confident I've got a proper handle on this even now.

I've got a 2014 A3 with what I presume is the original MMI firmware. The info screen gives this information:
Software version: MHIG_EU_AU_P1048
Phone driver: 3.73.0

The system has misbehaved for years. It occasionally shuts down and restarts itself, and the bluetooth connection is so flaky as to be unusable.

My hope was that a firmware update would address these issues. My local (official) Audi service centre tell me that it is impossible for Audi (or anyone else) to update the firmware on an A3's MMI, and that you are stuck with what it left the factory with. Is this correct?

I've been in touch with independent providers on eBay who have given similarly conflicting / confusing answers:
- One said that only Audi can update the firmware
- Another says they can provide me with firmware version MHIG_EU_AU_K1549

I'm at the point where I have now got no idea who is correct, and I would gratefully appreciate any advice that may be available.

Send PM @NHN explaining your problem and see if he can do anything for you or able to put you in contact with someone who can.

Based on the year of the car and the fact that is has MMI, you should post in A3 8V subforum or a kind moderator (@Sandra) can move this topic where it's likely to get more help.

As per the question itself, I'd say it can be updated by Audi dealership.

Reactions: Sandra
Thanks both. Apologies - I realised shortly after posting I'd put this in the wrong forum. I'd appreciate it if it could be moved.

You can buy the original update sd card at your dealership and update it yourself to K15xx

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

You can buy the original update sd card at your dealership and update it yourself to K15xx

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Since when can you buy Firmware updates from Dealership? Got a link or part number?

You can buy SD Card map updates from dealership.

Since when can you buy Firmware updates from Dealership? Got a link or part number?

You can buy SD Card map updates from dealership.
As long as you have the partnumber you can buy it. Not uncommon in the Netherlands or Germany.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I also have a 2014 A3. Would anybody mind sharing the latest firmware version number?

I read that but there is no explanation on how it was performed...
I assume you just download the provided files and stick them on an SD Card, "should" be able to just press the update button in the MMO settings.

I wouldn't risk it though.

Update is done through engineering menu.

@cuke2u i don't know how to delivered evidence for this. If you read some german forums you'll read that they bought the update card. Mostly the VW drivers buy the update cards because the Discover Media systems had quite some glitches (sound problems, touch screen problems etc).

I have updated quite some VW's and Seats with MIB1 systems. Only a few times the A3, that system is more stable then the other brands. For the Seat MIB1 system, one of the last updates significantly improves the reaction speed of the system. Before you had to wait a few seconds before it went to the next menu, after the update it is almost instant.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I assume you just download the provided files and stick them on an SD Card, "should" be able to just press the update button in the MMO settings.

I wouldn't risk it though.
The link was sent as in one post they say it couldn't be done , but if you took your p/n and sd card along to Audi they would download firmware onto the card for you , thats my understanding off the post

As far as I understand it, and I am relating to the mmi system in my car. To update the firmware there needs to be a connection to the Audi servers through the appropriate hardware costing a great deal of money. I believe DJAlix has the equipment to do this.
I assume this is because the MMI is locked to the vehicle.

As far as I understand it, and I am relating to the mmi system in my car. To update the firmware there needs to be a connection to the Audi servers through the appropriate hardware costing a great deal of money. I believe DJAlix has the equipment to do this.
I assume this is because the MMI is locked to the vehicle.
Sorry but yes and no. Yes you can do it "online" but ....

For updates like Discover Media / pro, MMI, Active Info Display and VC. VAG has released serveral sd cards containing the updates. The dealerships also use these sd cards in order to perform the update offline.

To complete the update without errors (software management version error) u have to hook it up to Odis. However these can also be cleared by calculating the new value.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I've just purchased a 2014 S3 running this exact same firmware and an old 2016/2017 map. Did you manage to get this updated ?

Thanks,
Roy.

I've just purchased a 2014 S3 running this exact same firmware and an old 2016/2017 map. Did you manage to get this updated ?

Thanks,
Roy.

If you want new maps then go to Audi, pay 250pounds. only way.

Updating firmware on MIB1 or 2 units without using the VW Group official service tool will leave errors behind and will void any related warranty:

IMG 3602

*Example is from an A5 but you have to complete the same process on all vehicles.

Edit: Found an A3 photo... same message but this was while updating a 2017 Virtual Cockpit:

IMG 2955

Reactions: cuke2u
I am getting my firmware updated by my local dealer for £75. This is in addition to setting my A3 8V PFL up with Drive Select. I have the MMI MIB

You are very lucky then as AudiUK tend not to endorse this, unless your mmi system has an actual error they are claiming a update will fix...

Reactions: Mac Quazi
Hi guyz is this soft update only updating maps or even new graphic and interface ? or new data to engine etc?
thnx

Hi guyz is this soft update only updating maps or even new graphic and interface ? or new data to engine etc?
thnx
Just newer firmware. Will look the same with some bugs fixed.

that is interesting. I will check with my dealership in a few days just to update my MMI MIB Standard. I don't have any errors for now but if the update will fix some speed issues on MMI than I will do it. Depends of the costs ofc