A3 Interior Light Upgrade (8V Chassis)

kmx_200

A3 8V Chassis
Reaction score
Hello there.
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked.

I Have changed my Vanity bulbs and glove box bulb to LEDs.
I am now looking to change the main front interior light to LEDs.
I can remove the black trim without to much trouble.
But then I'm faced with a solid block of white plastic and cannot get at the bulb.
Any Ideas how to change this bulb ?

Interior Light

t8ups did mine when it was around "Audi in the park show"

I watched him did mine but wouldn't really attempt it myself. In the top right the unit, closet to the rear view mirror is the main clip holding it all in, if you pray it open around the side you need to get that main clip loose. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but when I watch t8ups do mine I was quite squeamish as it felt the plastic was going to snap off.

Hello there.
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked.

I Have changed my Vanity bulbs and glove box bulb to LEDs.
I am now looking to change the main front interior light to LEDs.
I can remove the black trim without to much trouble.
But then I'm faced with a solid block of white plastic and cannot get at the bulb.
Any Ideas how to change this bulb ?

View attachment 20719

Hi Kim

I thought the 8V came with interior LED lights? or is that only higher end models like S-line and S3? please clarify.

Thanks

Louay

Hi Kim

I thought the 8V came with interior LED lights? or is that only higher end models like S-line and S3? please clarify.

Thanks

Louay

The Interior Light Pack is cost option that can be added. It adds all interior LED lights, and also adds lights to the side and underneath of the doors, door handles, foot wells, cup holders etc. It's a great option for not too much extra, but really makes the cabin look fantastic, especially at night :)

t8ups did mine when it was around "Audi in the park show"I watched him did mine but wouldn't really attempt it myself. In the top right the unit, closet to the rear view mirror is the main clip holding it all in, if you pray it open around the side you need to get that main clip loose. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but when I watch t8ups do mine I was quite squeamish as it felt the plastic was going to snap off.
Thanks For the Quick Reply. Might Just stick to changing all the other lights to LEDs then , and leave the main interior as is. Not sure yet tho. Might look a bit odd having 1 standard light in the car.

The Interior Light Pack is cost option that can be added. It adds all interior LED lights, and also adds lights to the side and underneath of the doors, door handles, foot wells, cup holders etc. It's a great option for not too much extra, but really makes the cabin look fantastic, especially at night :)

Glad i ordered the interior light pack then! Phew!

Reactions: paullowther

Exterior door handles with LED lights Stef?

Exterior door handles with LED lights Stef?

Not the exterior handles no... It's just a very soft light to highlight the door handles on the inside. Nothing too obvious actually unless it's really dark. It all looks really good though, gives a very classy look to the cabin at night.

Also if you have the B&O sound system, the edges of the main speaker grills also have a white LED light along the top of them. :)

Not the exterior handles no... It's just a very soft light to highlight the door handles on the inside. Nothing too obvious actually unless it's really dark. It all looks really good though, gives a very classy look to the cabin at night.

Also if you have the B&O sound system, the edges of the main speaker grills also have a white LED light along the top of them. :)

Nice, yeah went with B&O too, and from what i have read on here, it is arguably the best system on the market.

Only one place I found that doesn't have LED's is inside the glovebox. Is this the same with everyone? Can't understand why every other light is LED but this one. Annoying

Only one place I found that doesn't have LED's is inside the glovebox. Is this the same with everyone? Can't understand why every other light is LED but this one. Annoying
Same here...I also noticed this last week when I was checking out the lights at night - very nice. I don't know why they couldn't change it to LED.

Where will you get the correct LED to fit in?

Not sure yet. Will look into it but my guess is it a 501 wedge bulb. I'm sure there will be some site sponsor on here who sells them.

Not sure yet. Will look into it but my guess is it a 501 wedge bulb. I'm sure there will be some site sponsor on here who sells them.

There is a guy called t8ups who i am sure can cater for all your interior lighting requirements. Many people have used him with little or no problems.

Louay

Hello All. Thank you for all the posts on this Thread. Just an update....

I've now changed all filament style Bulbs with LED bulbs.
In case anyone wants to know what LED lights can be used in the A3 Sline 8V Chassis:

Vanity Mirror use this style: 36mm Length
m21CmkH2P3I-9tayAxcSiEA.jpg

Glove box (1) , Interior front (1) , Interior Back (2) use this style:

mgceXWuByE8RiNLdqUnUzYA.jpg

Reactions: coolguy
Hello All. Thank you for all the posts on this Thread. Just an update....

I've now changed all filament style Bulbs with LED bulbs.
In case anyone wants to know what LED lights can be used in the A3 Sline 8V Chassis:

Vanity Mirror use this style: 36mm Length
m21CmkH2P3I-9tayAxcSiEA.jpg

Glove box (1) , Interior front (1) , Interior Back (2) use this style:

mgceXWuByE8RiNLdqUnUzYA.jpg
Hi Kmx, where did you get your LEDs from?

can someone help me with how to remove the covers for the front and rear reading lights?

I have the bulbs and i have replace all the others but im struggling with those 3

thanks

can someone help me with how to remove the covers for the front and rear reading lights?

I have the bulbs and i have replace all the others but im struggling with those 3

thanks

Smythy, I'm struggling with that same problem. Managed to discover how to take the covers out?

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Looking at the ElsaWin workshop manual for the 8V model I found the following referring to the front lighting models:

Removing
– Pry front roof moduleout of opening in headliner using removal wedge; at the same time the retaining clip is pulled out of body.
– Unplug electrical connectors.
Installing
Installation is carried out in the reverse order; note the following:
NoteIf LED is defective, front roof module must be fully renewed.
– Insert front roof module in opening in headliner and press on so that it engages audibly.

Don't know if it helps.

The problem for me is not opening the module, but taking out the opaque plastic (see pic) that houses the bulb.

D1fi

You can buy the complete LED unit from the light pack upgrade for about £90 and fit that instead. Part number is 8X0947135AG or one just finished on eBay if you search listing number 111179218089.

Not sure if it is plug and play or not - one guy described on a forum how he had to do a small rewire of the plug:

The Audi A1 Forum • View topic - Center halogen interior lighting with that LED package

There are 2 pages to that thread - more info on the second page.

I guess your friendly local auto electrics guy could do that bit?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but in my case that's not an option as it is a company car. Don't want to go beyond a change of bulbs.

The trick is to take out the block of white plastic that houses the bulb. Looked at it from every angle and can't find a way of doing it without making mess.

the white block wont come out, its apart of the unit.

Take the cover/surround off, then in the top right corner closest to the sunvisor is where the clip is holding this up, pop that and the light unit will come down in your hand and change the bulb from above.

Trups

Thanks for the tip t8ups, and sorry for the delay.

Today I took some time to try to take the full unit out and managed to do it without breaking anything

However, I still have no access to que bulb. I believe that I have to take out the black piece shown in the pic, either turning it left or right. The problem is, I cant do better than moving it maybe 10º when turning anti-clockwise. Turning clockwise I'm getting no movement at all....

Any help would be great before I break something....

20131207 183234

According to the Elsawin Workshop manual....

–
Turn bulb holder anti-clockwise and pull it out of front roof module.
–
Pull bulb out of bulb holder.
Installation is carried out in the reverse order; note the following:
–
Insert new bulb in bulb holder, taking care not to touch glass part of bulb with bare hands.

Perhaps you just need to turn a bit hard anti-clockwise....

That was fast h5djr!!

Indeed, I wasn't turning it hard enough. Took the spinach out of the shelf and finally managed to take the ******* out.

Thanks a lot!!

t8ups,

The bulb must be replaced by going behind the block. right?

I need replace the bulb by LED but I need Take the cover / surround off.

You can send a photo where is located the clip that holding and open the couver?

thanks.

The cover is the easiest part. You just need to use some plastic tool and be careful not do dent the plastic. Start pulling all around and it will unclip and come off easily.

The hardest part is to take out the rest of the unit. I don't have a picture showing the entire unit. However, I have this picture where you can barely see one of the clips. You have another one on the other side, and thats it. Take a good look at what you're doing and you will realize how to do it...

20131207 183154 800x600

Big thanks to t8ups for the LED upgrade bulbs, looks a lot better now.

Can anyone post a picture/spec of the bulbs needed. Looking to do this over the xmas period as just had windows tinted as well.

cheers

Struggling to change glovebox over to LED? Got the light unit out and disconnected... But Can't work how LED clips together?

I have just carried out the upgrade and found the centre reading light a pain, maybe because I attempted it in the dark 1st time round and with a little guidance from Trups managed to figure it out and 2nd time round literally a few minutes and it was done.

I took some pics and thought would share a little how to if cool. See below..

Interior Light Upgrade

The rears were exceptionally easy, and just a case of popping the cover off and replacing the bulbs for LED's. Again the vanity lights were easier too, when you pull the visor down as you are looking at it there is a small spring clip on the left hand side of unit. Pop a wee thin flat had in there and the lens will just pop off and then replace bulbs.

I am still to do the glove box but will leave it for time being and do it on weekend when I get my next spare minute...

Sorry that this has been covered in the posts above but I thought it may help having some pictures. :)

Reactions: Relliott6879