A3 I Need A Clutch But Do I Need A Flywheel?? HELP!!!!

Aaron W

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a 2004 (53 plate) Audi a3 2.0 fsi , my clutch started to slip last week, need a dual mass clutch, but do i need a flywheel?? My bro in law said i may need one , i dunno what to think

HELPPPPP

Does the dmf rattle/knock at all?
How long since last changed if ever?
Can garage inspect it when taking clutch out?

My personal thought is change dmf when clutch is out anyway.....I tried once to skimp on costs and not change the dmf whilst doing a clutch. Wasn't long before whole job had to be done again due to dmf failing.

I'm guessing your looking around £800ish+ for clutch and dmf on yours. I paid £1200 for an uprated helix clutch and dmf on my old TTS at Akstuning.

Gaz

Does the dmf rattle/knock at all?
How long since last changed if ever?
Can garage inspect it when taking clutch out?

My personal thought is change dmf when clutch is out anyway.....I tried once to skimp on costs and not change the dmf whilst doing a clutch. Wasn't long before whole job had to be done again due to dmf failing.

I'm guessing your looking around £800ish+ for clutch and dmf on yours. I paid £1200 for an uprated helix clutch and dmf on my old TTS at Akstuning.

Gaz
There is a funny noise when you first start it up but goes after its warmed up, i thought it was due to a pulley at first, im not sure when clutch was last done, no reciepts in the history i have , so maybe never, i need to do the cambelt as again have no reciept of one being done, piece of mind and all that, i will get a video of the noise and post it shortly, luckily my bro in laws going to do it parts are 400 trade price , then 50/100 fitting

There’s a test you can do while the gearbox is off.

Loosely it’s turn the dmf fully 1 way and make a mark between the 2 plates. Then move it fully the other way and make another mark then measure the gap.

From memory if it’s less than 10mm it’s ok. Barring in mind I was told this info maybe 15yrs ago so might be different from 10mm.

On a side note I launched my old mk4 once and it made the dmf jump a 1/4 turn unbalancing the flywheel. I drove on with as little throttle input as possible until the diff had enough and decided to say hello through the gearbox housing. I single massed it after that and hated that decision. So unrefined. But on the mk4 golf following that one I replaced the clutch, dmf and clutch slave for £350 in parts. I did the work myself.