A3 Hidden Features

SillyGoose

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you were able to find any hidden features for the new A3 model. I did some research online and on the previous A3 model (8V) you could program the right mirror to tilt downwards when in reverse and also lock the car from the outside by holding the little indentation on the outside door handle.

I tried both of these features on the new model and they don't work. Have you found any hidden features?

Hi, I was wondering if any of you were able to find any hidden features for the new A3 model. I did some research online and on the previous A3 model (8V) you could program the right mirror to tilt downwards when in reverse and also lock the car from the outside by holding the little indentation on the outside door handle.

I tried both of these features on the new model and they don't work. Have you found any hidden features?

The passenger mirror will dip if you have the switch turned to the left mirror when you put it in reverse (UK Spec obviously) - The indent on the handle only works if you have the Advanced Key (Full keyless entry)

Reactions: Jon_M, Mado97 and AdamInKent
The passenger mirror will dip if you have the switch turned to the left mirror when you put it in reverse (UK Spec obviously) - The indent on the handle only works if you have the Advanced Key (Full keyless entry)
Oh, I see. I will try that. Thanks

Yep, the passenger mirror dipping works on my A3 when you turn it to the left mirror which is helpful with reversing.

The advanced key I think is only a feature for the S3, as didn't have the option to spec that when looking at the A3. Apparently neither was the option to get keyless entry via the myAudi app (which I'm not sure about as have seen some people have it)

Yep, the passenger mirror dipping works on my A3 when you turn it to the left mirror which is helpful with reversing.

The advanced key I think is only a feature for the S3, as didn't have the option to spec that when looking at the A3. Apparently neither was the option to get keyless entry via the myAudi app (which I'm not sure about as have seen some people have it)

Edition 1 can spec it as well as S3 - Vorsprung has it as standard - Strange not available on at least s-line and let's face it all the handles have the indent so how difficult is it really

Reactions: Jassyo06 and SillyGoose
On my S3, the interior lights are touch sensitive as well as being operable by the button

Reactions: NIKLDN, SillyGoose, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Edition 1 can spec it as well as S3 - Vorsprung has it as standard - Strange not available on at least s-line and let's face it all the handles have the indent so how difficult is it really
Audi seem to restrict certain options to higher trims as a way of increasing profit. I had to upgrade from Sport to S-Line to get a particular combination of options that I couldn’t get on the Sport.

Reactions: RichK, pburv and AdamInKent
On my S3, the interior lights are touch sensitive as well as being operable by the button

They're actually even better than touch! you don't need to touch them, just hold your finger close to them - someone showed me by accident lol :)

Reactions: mustafab97, Jcbmally and AdamInKent
They're actually even better than touch! you don't need to touch them, just hold your finger close to them - someone showed me by accident lol :)
Yeah I noticed that earlier as I was sat in the car as I typed it. Didn’t know you could dim them though?

Reactions: Jcbmally
Reactions: Moots, HulkRS3, pburv and 1 other person
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get into the engineering menu like you can on the 8V? I’ve not found anything yet but only had a quick google.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get into the engineering menu like you can on the 8V? I’ve not found anything yet but only had a quick google.

I've heard of someone doing it before, it involved holding multiple icons at the same time, I don't remember exactly which ones though :blink:

Not a hidden feature but while messing around tonight I managed to get my S3 to read ‘adaptive cruise control selected’ - it doesn’t have ACC fitted though.

pressed the LIM button on the cruise stalk twice and then pulled the lever towards me. Doesn’t actually do anything though obviously, must be software glitch

Not a hidden feature but while messing around tonight I managed to get my S3 to read ‘adaptive cruise control selected’ - it doesn’t have ACC fitted though.

pressed the LIM button on the cruise stalk twice and then pulled the lever towards me. Doesn’t actually do anything though obviously, must be software glitch

Yup, I discovered that one as well by mistake and for a moment I was happy because I though my car had it xD

How would you go about resetting the MMI?
There are no physical buttons to hold to reset, not even the volume button as it’s touch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would you go about resetting the MMI?
There are no physical buttons to hold to reset, not even the volume button as it’s touch?

To reset the MMI I believe you do the following

1) Having the ignition on press the actual round volume button for 20 seconds until you see the MMI restarts.
2) If you don't have an actual volume button, and you only have the one on the steering wheel, then press and hold the on/off button for the actual MMI for 20 seconds until you see it restarting, with the ignition on.
3) Open the driver's door for 20 seconds with the ignition off.

That's what I got from Audi services

Reactions: SquidGame and Q5 TRS
I’ve had my S-Line for a few weeks now. Here’s what I’ve found so far:
  1. When I refuelled (for the first time) tonight, the car asked if I wanted to reset the trip counter.
  2. When leaving the car, the radio / media player stays on until you open the drivers door.
  3. I have the automatic with the driver assistance pack: even if the ACC is off, when I lift my foot off the accelerator on approach to a junction/roundabout, the car automatically slows to about the right speed to take the junction (using regen). Similarly, if I lift off the accelerator when approaching the rear of slower car, the the A3 automatically adjusts its speed to that of the car ahead.
  4. When switching to main beam, the matrix lights open like a pair of stage curtains. And when switching the main beam off, they close in a similar manner.
  5. If I leave the car whilst a Bluetooth connected media player is playing, then it resumes when I next return to the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: NIKLDN, Billy Shears and SillyGoose
I found something new this evening. When leaving the car, I accidentally pushed the boot release button once, which flashed the lights without opening the boot. So I guess this might be a way of flashing the lights to find the car?

In my previous cars only the rear view mirrors 'darkens' for night time automatically, in the A3 even the wing mirrors do that! found that quite cool!
Probably people alreayd seen this, but I only noticed it 3 months after I got the car, that you can 'child lock' the back seats from the driver's windows switches panel thing.
Also rear window washer is built into the wiper itself and it's somewhere in the middle and the spray spread is very good! Better than my previous cars which is just a single water line, though in my V40 it was of the fan washer variant, hitting at the 2-3 o'clock position on the up-wipe.
Also I'm still not sure if A3 has fan washers or regular washers for front windscreen. It does distribute the screen wash quite well, BUT sometimes I notice it has 3 lines each side, I might take a closer look later..

Reactions: DreamInCode
Not quite hidden it might be - if you have myAudi app installed in your phone, you can send locations from Google maps to car. I almost never use the search function in the car's satnav.

A red-bull sized can perfectly fits in between the space of 2 cup holders - which is otherwise too small for any of 2 cup holders and can make a right mess.

Reactions: Mado97, mustafab97 and AdamInKent
So I got into the engineering menu by doing the below, one cool option in there is labelled EXTRA BHP. I haven't tried this one out yet, i'm sure there are some videos on Youtube but not looked.

1. Park the car with enough space around it, about 4 meters - car park would be good.
2. Put the car in N
3. Drop the drivers window up and down twice
4. Flash lights while holding horn
5. Switch off ignition
6. Wait 30 minutes
7. Turn car back on and you will see a new icon on the MMI called - ENG SERV MENU

• Haha
Reactions: AJH48, SamR92 and Ludus
So I got into the engineering menu by doing the below, one cool option in there is labelled EXTRA BHP. I haven't tried this one out yet, i'm sure there are some videos on Youtube but not looked.

1. Park the car with enough space around it, about 4 meters - car park would be good.
2. Put the car in N
5. Switch off ignition
6. Wait 30 minutes
7. Turn car back on and you will see a new icon on the MMI called - ENG SERV MENU
Doing no. 4 in a public car park will take my bad rep as an Audi driver to a new level :laughing:

2. Put the car in N
5. Switch off ignition
6. Wait 30 minutes
Had me in the first half ngl

5. Switch off ignition
6. Wait 30 minutes
Eh....anyone has a garage? Hold horn in a outdoor residential parking, underground one is a different story (or whatever parking I can remain for 30 mins). Extra BHP in a 1.0TSI would be welcomed though! Free remap built in anyone?

I should have stipulated, you must REMAIN in the vechile for 30 minutes or you have to start the process again. Also remember to top up your headlights / tail lights with water every six months to keep them clear.

I found something new this evening. When leaving the car, I accidentally pushed the boot release button once, which flashed the lights without opening the boot. So I guess this might be a way of flashing the lights to find the car?
I experimented a bit more with this tonight. One press of the button unlocks the boot without releasing the catch.

Functional scope / activation options:
  • Deactivate seat belt reminder for Audi A3 8Y
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y pointer presentation
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y lap timer
  • Audi A3 8Y sport displays activate acceleration measurement
  • Audi A3 8Y sport displays unlock engine data
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y sports ads Boost and sports layout
  • Unlock the Audi A3 8Y extended scale display
  • Audi A3 8Y Unlock cylinder deactivation display
  • Adjust the Audi A3 8Y consumption display
  • Audi A3 8Y daytime running lights activation
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y daytime running lights with rear lights and infotainment controls
  • Audi A3 8Y MMI control Unlocking while driving
  • Activate Audi A3 8Y DWA acknowledgment and infotainment operation
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y save seat heating level
  • Audi A3 8Y seat heating adjust power reduction
  • Audi A3 8Y adjust structure-borne noise actuator interior
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y stop assistant
  • Deactivate the Audi A3 8Y rear wiper
  • Switch off the Audi A3 8Y headlight cleaning system
  • Audi A3 8Y adjust brake disc drying
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y Apple Car Play Wireless and 5GHz WLAN
  • Unlock third device for Audi A3 8Y MMI
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y MMI driving school mode
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y MMI PLUS Welcome Sound
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y MMI PLUS Leaving Sound
  • Audi A3 8Y Unlock parking aid activation tone
  • Audi A3 8Y unlock rear parking aid OPS
  • Customize Audi A3 8Y tail lights animation
  • Unlock Audi A3 8Y Video in Motion (VIM)
  • Unlock the Audi A3 8Y high beam assistant
  • Audi A3 8Y Lane Departure Warning Enable memory function switch-on state
  • Audi A3 8Y lane departure warning activating adaptive lane guidance

Service functions:
  • SERVICE open / close electric parking brake for maintenance work
  • SERVICE Configure transport mode (deactivate / activate transport mode)
  • SERVICE Haldex coupling open / close
  • SERVICE Interval Manager (simple service reset for all supported VAG vehicle models)
    • Reset the flexible oil service
    • Carry out a reset of the time-dependent inspection
    • Reset the mileage-dependent inspection
  • SERVICE battery manager
    • Specify the nominal battery capacity
    • Specify battery technology
    • Specify battery manufacturer

After seeing this, i bought a carista obd so i can customise it. I will let you know if it works

After seeing this, i bought a carista obd so i can customise it. I will let you know if it works
I have the Carista OBD - 3 Years old but having looked on the supported vehicles 8Y still only has basic diagnostics

Reactions: SillyGoose
So you already tried with your one and it just shows diagnostics?
Directly from thier website:

So you already tried with your one and it just shows diagnostics?
As per bfevo below - I haven't tried it but that's what the app says if you go onto supported vehicles

The 8Y is heavily locked down and even dealers can't access a lot of it (my mate is a mastertech) - The one listed from abroad though states it can do many things interesting to see if it worked on UK specs

Reactions: SillyGoose
Thanks, i found an alternative (carly) but it is way more expensive, around 90 quid
I was under the impression that Carly had the same limitations and they havent defeated the new secuirty systems implimented on the 8Y gen yet.

As per bfevo below - I haven't tried it but that's what the app says if you go onto supported vehicles

The 8Y is heavily locked down and even dealers can't access a lot of it (my mate is a mastertech) - The one listed from abroad though states it can do many things interesting to see if it worked on UK specs

There’s a couple of lads on one of the Facebook groups that have had success with the OBDApp from Germany. They’ve managed to code RS3 taillight animation amongst other things.

The webpage is in German but can be translated:

I have a beta tester version of Carista to try. I didn’t realise a lot of functions were now locked, that’s probably why they aren’t showing many options to change things.
Will have a look over the weekend.

I have a beta tester version of Carista to try. I didn’t realise a lot of functions were now locked, that’s probably why they aren’t showing many options to change things.
Will have a look over the weekend.

Okay, i am interested to see if it works

Found another one, when only loggin in as guest (I never logged in as user), the Sat Nav 'forgets' your prevous destinations after 2 months or so. However I can never understand how / when exactly and why.