A3 headlights short throw, and generally not very good

DavidCambridge

Reaction score
How do people find the headlights on their 2020 A3 ? I picked up my car towards the end of June 2021, and it wasn’t until after the clocks changed that I noticed the headlight throw was very short. For urban driving it is fine, and for motorway driving the car seems to raise the beam and everything is fine. But, at 60 mph and on single carriageway I find the headlights to be really quite awful. The beam seems to end with a very sharp cut off that feels closer than the stopping distance, and after that everything is pretty much pitch black. I should add the headlights are LED and whatever is standard on the 2021 s-line A3.

I did take my car back to the dealer, who said the lights seemed low and adjusted them. Now, for various other problems the car spent the next couple of months in the dealer’s yard so I’ve only just got it back this week to play with. Sadly, the headlights don’t seem any better and certainly a lot worse than any of the courtesy cars I’ve had.

What do you think ? Are the headlights on the A3 not very good, or am I just unlucky ? I’ve no problems in other cars so I don’t think it’s my eyes, and my wife’s A1 seems to cast a much longer beam and is absolutely fine (2018 model with xenon bulbs).

Thanks in advance,

David

Reactions: DreamInCode
As an example, both images below are from the same bit of road, and at the same speed.

This is from my A3:

This is from my wife's A1:

Last edited:
I agree in as much as I find that the dipped beams are only comfortable for city speeds: much faster and I find myself wanting the car to switch to full beams (which is where matrix lights come in handy). I also agree that the high brightness and sharp cut-off of the projector beams probably makes it seem worse than for conventional lights which fade into the distance.

Yes, projector headlights have a sharp cut-off, an then it's black, whereas the reflector ones, slowly diffuses to black. I will 'later' put up a image of my (Sport Trim reflector) headlights on similar road. When you start the car, does your light, lower and then come back up (level adjust)? I'm not sure about the A3 (as haven't had to adjust yet), but all my previous cars with LED/Xenon headlights has a level, that you can raise them up a little. I park 10m from the wall, mark off with pencil, then raise them a little bit (usually half a turn) on the screw, all good in the end.

Reactions: Jcbmally
KXL - " does your light, lower and then come back up" - yes, that's the case

KXL - " does your light, lower and then come back up" - yes, that's the case
I haven't noticed mine do that yet, though mine are reflector LEDs (the cheap ones :( ). I can only assume they do, as there isn't a headlight range adjuster switch anywhere. However saying that my previous cars I only realised they allign themselves after a year, just happened to look out at ignition press!

Looks the same as mine, I find them to be great with auto high beam assist. The cutoff is a bit sharp though but they're nice and bright so I suppose they need to be so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

I find the A3's non-matrix adaptive LED lamp is pretty good combining with the auto high beam.
As a contrast, my last car's (Merc A class) projector LED was pretty poor and had to take it to the dealer to get them adjusted, which made it only marginally better.
As another contrast, my another past car's xenon dipped beam was super bright and the best headlamp I ever had.
Always wanted to have matrix lamp but the price seems a bit OTT for my driving habit.

These are from my 'reflector' LED Sport Trim Audi A3. I don't know, is it any better? Was going just shy of 50mph, image from Nextbase 322GW dashcam.
I find the A3 reflector ones, no better or worse than the my previous cars Seat Leon (also LED reflectors), and Seat Ibiza (Bi-Xenon projector). However on dipped beams, my Volvo V40s were the noticeably brighter/further reaching. For main-beams, once again the V40 was awesome, as was the Leon (even low beam raised to help the high beam), then comes the A3, and in last, the Ibiza on Bi-Xenons.
Capture

Last edited:
As another contrast, my another past car's xenon dipped beam was super bright and the best headlamp I ever had.
I'm curious, which car would this be? While my Ibiza's Bi-xenon (D1S) were a huge step up from halogens, against the V40, it just couldn't compete, especially at high-beam. Against A3 for low beam, is similar. High-beam, well LEDs use a separate 'bulb,' Xenons a flap just opens, same bulb!

I'm curious, which car would this be? While my Ibiza's Bi-xenon (D1S) were a huge step up from halogens, against the V40, it just couldn't compete, especially at high-beam. Against A3 for low beam, is similar. High-beam, well LEDs use a separate 'bulb,' Xenons a flap just opens, same bulb!
It was 2001/02's Vauxhall Omega with 3.2V6 I had in 2010 (yeah I was watching too many police shows on telly at that time ;) ).
Super comfy car with lots of gadgets for the time but super unreliable at the same time.

It was 2001/02's Vauxhall Omega with 3.2V6 I had in 2010 (yeah I was watching too many police shows on telly at that time ;) ).
Super comfy car with lots of gadgets for the time but super unreliable at the same time.
Ah, my dad used to have one of those in Austria back in 1995-1997 (known as Opel Omega), but with the 2.0 136PS engine. It was a CD trim, only the MV6 trims had Bi-xenons (with sticking out headlight washers). Yes super large, large boot. I think this is now the Insignia...

Reactions: DreamInCode
So are the standard (non matrix) led headlights on the a3/s3 not very good then? You can’t upgrade to matrix on the s3 so have to stick with the standard leds

So are the standard (non matrix) led headlights on the a3/s3 not very good then? You can’t upgrade to matrix on the s3 so have to stick with the standard leds

No they took that option away as low take up apparently - I did mange to get them on mine November 2020 and they were £430 upgrade at the time which was excellent compared to the 8V model - They are very good and if they advertised them a bit more I think people would be more inclined to upgrade but that's Audi for you

Reactions: AdamInKent and DreamInCode
How do people find the headlights on their 2020 A3 ? I picked up my car towards the end of June 2021, and it wasn’t until after the clocks changed that I noticed the headlight throw was very short. For urban driving it is fine, and for motorway driving the car seems to raise the beam and everything is fine. But, at 60 mph and on single carriageway I find the headlights to be really quite awful. The beam seems to end with a very sharp cut off that feels closer than the stopping distance, and after that everything is pretty much pitch black. I should add the headlights are LED and whatever is standard on the 2021 s-line A3.

I did take my car back to the dealer, who said the lights seemed low and adjusted them. Now, for various other problems the car spent the next couple of months in the dealer’s yard so I’ve only just got it back this week to play with. Sadly, the headlights don’t seem any better and certainly a lot worse than any of the courtesy cars I’ve had.

What do you think ? Are the headlights on the A3 not very good, or am I just unlucky ? I’ve no problems in other cars so I don’t think it’s my eyes, and my wife’s A1 seems to cast a much longer beam and is absolutely fine (2018 model with xenon bulbs).

Thanks in advance,

David
Hi,
I agree, i find the headlights bordering dangerous on unlit country a roads. The spread , range and brightness are all poor.
I now really dislike winter morning and evening commutes.
My previous car was a Seat Ibiza with LED which where the best headlights I've ever used.
Its a good car really spoilt by its headlights.
My model is A3 sport with reflector .

Phil

Hi,
I agree, i find the headlights bordering dangerous on unlit country a roads. The spread , range and brightness are all poor.
I now really dislike winter morning and evening commutes.
My previous car was a Seat Ibiza with LED which where the best headlights I've ever used.
Its a good car really spoilt by its headlights.
My model is A3 sport with reflector .

Phi
Mine is S-Line and doesn't have matrix. But I find the headlamps are pretty good TBH.
I know S-line headlamps are projector type (not the high-beam though) and Sport has reflector type. But I thought the actual lamp is the same one with same output?
Has anyone driven both S-line and Sport and can tell us how much the difference is?