A3 Fuel tank capacity

bigman75

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Girls :salute:

Can anyone confirm that the A3 3door Quattro has a 60 ltr tank?

The needle was showing on the last red line and DIS was saying 10 miles left, so I assumed nearly empty. Say 58 ltrs???

However, when I filled up with diesel tonight it took 52 ltrs?? Is the needle/sender over sensitive or is the DIS accurate? I wasn't driving purposely economical either.

I have managed to get 480 miles out of my last tank. I was really tempted to push it further but the thought of running out bothers me plus I know it's not good for the engine.

Any thoughts or ideas please?

Thanks,

Andy

I've done over 20 miles on 0 mte before.

I believe you are correct at 60l to a tank.

I reckon I could've got more out of my tank. I bottled it if truth be told!! :unsure:

The Audi site says 60 ltr's approx. If this is the case, then I reckon I had about 7 ltrs left (approx 1.54gallons). Based on 46mpg urban thats about an extra 60ish miles before running out.

Have I worked this out right peeps???

I don't want to run it dry, ever. Apologies for the misunderstanding. I was just wondering what sort of mileage I could get.

I would like to think that 500 miles is possible if driven with a lighter foot.

Thanks Mike.

No probs but I think you may be a bit optimistic !

I have a 140 2006 sportback and for urban mileage, i.e. mainly short runs and the odd motorway bit, I have never reached 450 miles before the light comes on. Average 47 urban and 55 motorway usually. That's with a gentle foot and about 80 mph on the motorway.

But that is a 55 litre tank.

Optimistic, thats me! :arco:lol

Yeah, you're probably right. My car went beep about 430 miles, managed an extra 50 miles to the final line.

My daily commute is about 40 miles round trip. Mix of local roads and Dual Carriageways.

My 8P2 has a 55 litre tank, did Audi put in a 60L on the 8P3?

if it's quattro probably its 55l, mine is , bit small but quattro takes some space in the back so they couldnt fit bigger one

also quattro with have fuel pump + extra sender on the other side as tank is split in half only with small area connecting it into one.

I have a 2005 2.0TDi 140, and i have got 550 miles to a full tank before the light comes on... i know there is about another 50 miles or so left in the tank after the light comes on. i normally average 530 miles to the tank...

most tanks have a reserve of about a gallon once empty (4.5litres)...but thats just from expierece of fuel light bingo

In my Leon I had a Dension 100 thing and on the Dension screen it told you how many litres were left in the tank. When MTE was 0 and the needle was at 0 there was still approx 5l in the tank.

For what it's worth,Audi's own PDF's on the S3 (Sportback and 3-door) both quote fuel capacities of 60litres.

well its good to know what size tank we have in our cars... better to anticipate when it might dry out... you never know when you can get stuck out there

well its good to know what size tank we have in our cars... better to anticipate when it might dry out... you never know when you can get stuck out there
There's a thread on the accuracy of the DIS around somewhere.....mine is pretty close to the actual mpg,and what's left in the tank thankfully.

I did 12 miles with 0 miles on the DIS once and was surprised to only get just under 58 litres in (I think my sweat had run into the fuel tank)

So yeah 4-5 litres in reserve sounds about right, but not worth the risk trying to find out!

I did 12 miles with 0 miles on the DIS once and was surprised to only get just under 58 litres in (I think my sweat had run into the fuel tank)

So yeah 4-5 litres in reserve sounds about right, but not worth the risk trying to find out!

I think this sums up my feelings precisely! Good to know that somes miles are possible after 0 display on the DIS.

I can also confirm the A3-S3 pdf states 60 litre tanks.

What a great place this is. Thanks for all the very useful feedback and advice.