A3 Engine knocking- is it knackered?

L

Laurasy

Hi all, first of all we know nothing about cars so would be really grateful for some advice! We had the same make and model that was unfortunately written off so we are looking for a replacement.

We are presuming it’s best to steer clear but wanted some advise if it is something that can be repaired or if it’s a write off!

Car is a 2010 A3 2.0 Tdi sportback. We have viewed this car today with the view to buy but it has made this noise when started up. It is from a genuine person who we personally know and trust, this has been their car for the last 6 years. Car has been sat for 6 weeks so battery was also flat.

Seller has never had any issues with the car and it has never made this noise before being started up this afternoon. Car has not been driven off the drive

I’ve uploaded a video of the noise to YouTube:

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi hope you turned it off asap not a good sound if it's been stood for so long and not been run. Could be starved of oil

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi hope you turned it off asap not a good sound if it's been stood for so long and not been run. Could be starved of oil

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes it was turned off straight after this was taken

Personally to me, I work in a breakers yard. And have heard many bad engines.

That type of knocking doesn't really sound like rod knock..or from internally in the engine. unless it's at the stage of the rod actually being broken but in that case it would not idle like it does. Which also rules out the majority of engine components. Anything in the head bad enough to make that sound would almost certainly cause a misfire. Usually though head noises are not that deep in sound.

Any valve damage would be a misfire scinario with that amount of noise too imho.

Plus it's intermittent, sometimes it stopped making the noise during the video.

It sounds like some heavy rotating mass.. i.e the dual mass flywheel maybe ? Sometimes when an engine is sat the lack of heat and moisture exposure can cause surface rusting on components.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I would guess at a faulty (loose) flywheel as above. I notice when revved the noise stops and comes back when the revs are allowed to fall.

More investigation needs to be done from the sellers point of view as they will have difficulty selling it with that noise. Maybe there is a local garage who could be paid a diagnosis fee to come out and inspect the car. As others have said, the noise disappears when revved. Maybe a sticky injector that does not provide enough diesel on tick over so there is a vast misfire causing the engine to shake and so that loose component makes a row as it is shaken about.
It depends on the rest of the car’s condition and price but if you know the people they are probably embarrassed too and not expecting that to happen and be keen to sort out.

Thank you all! Mechanic also thinks faulty flywheel from the video so will be viewing it for us this week.

Thanks again!

If it is engine code BZE, walk away as it’s known for broken con rods

Well can I assume you have managed to get your problem solved just that your video is no longer for viewing .
I would recommend you get a Vcd's genuine cable put on it and do an auto scan and see what faults it throws up .
I had my engine violently rocking the other day and that was to do with my hpfp but after checking it and sorting it the violent rocking has gone but I have misfire on cylinder #2 and multi intermittent misfires so that could be one off many faults you seem to have