A3 DPF warning or Sensor problem or map !

David12345

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, please excuse me if I'm in the wrong section or this has been discussed prior.

My partner has recently purchased an A3 1.9 tdi 2008 model, The car is fitted with a DPF.
A bit of history:
Originally the car when we view and had driven it seamed okay. As part of the deal a new mot was agreed to be done following this the car failed on emissions. Further to this the dealer discovered the DPF had previously been removed and a remap done. He agreed to fit a new DPF fitted and have a standard map put on the car.
Having only owned the car for just over a month within this time and less than 1000 miles the DPF light has been on four times as below.
1. First time the DPF light came on including Coil light and EMT Light while driving home and this was according to the garage because the ECU need to learn that a new DPF was fitted.
2. Second time the DPF light came on after about two weeks of driving (400 miles) and went off again
3. Third time the DPF light came on after about three weeks of driving (600 miles) and went off again
4. Fourth time the DPF light came on after about (900 miles) this was the Monday after a long run out the day before (100 miles). The light stayed on for four days while commuting to work (9 miles each way) and stayed on until Saturday when I took the car for a run to try and burn off the soot. While driving the Coil light and EMT Light came on and low/limp power mode. Spoke to the dealer he said the soot has built up too much and needs to be forced into Re-gen.

The garage say's this is normal for this car and the car need to go on regular runs or the DPF will block up again.
Both myself and partner are both work full time and having to go on runs is impractical for us and our other car is a newer diesel BMW and has never has any DPF issues.

I do know a new DPF has been fitted looks brand new and receipt provided.

Is this normal under the commuting conditions or is there any underlying issues this could be ? DPF sensors ? incorrect standard map ?

Thanks in advance

In order for DPF to function without getting clogged, all other systems need to be fully functional.
What I mean by that is that if injectors are leaking, you'll get more soot, if timing is not spot on, you'll have more soot, etc.

I would also look at these aspects of the engine as new DPF should not be causing problems if rest of the engine is completely healthy.

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, please excuse me if I'm in the wrong section or this has been discussed prior.

My partner has recently purchased an A3 1.9 tdi 2008 model, The car is fitted with a DPF.
A bit of history:
Originally the car when we view and had driven it seamed okay. As part of the deal a new mot was agreed to be done following this the car failed on emissions. Further to this the dealer discovered the DPF had previously been removed and a remap done. He agreed to fit a new DPF fitted and have a standard map put on the car.
Having only owned the car for just over a month within this time and less than 1000 miles the DPF light has been on four times as below.
1. First time the DPF light came on including Coil light and EMT Light while driving home and this was according to the garage because the ECU need to learn that a new DPF was fitted.
2. Second time the DPF light came on after about two weeks of driving (400 miles) and went off again
3. Third time the DPF light came on after about three weeks of driving (600 miles) and went off again
4. Fourth time the DPF light came on after about (900 miles) this was the Monday after a long run out the day before (100 miles). The light stayed on for four days while commuting to work (9 miles each way) and stayed on until Saturday when I took the car for a run to try and burn off the soot. While driving the Coil light and EMT Light came on and low/limp power mode. Spoke to the dealer he said the soot has built up too much and needs to be forced into Re-gen.

The garage say's this is normal for this car and the car need to go on regular runs or the DPF will block up again.
Both myself and partner are both work full time and having to go on runs is impractical for us and our other car is a newer diesel BMW and has never has any DPF issues.

I do know a new DPF has been fitted looks brand new and receipt provided.

Is this normal under the commuting conditions or is there any underlying issues this could be ? DPF sensors ? incorrect standard map ?

Thanks in advance

Hi I’m wondering whether you found out what the issue was ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your initial issue may have happened because they didn't run the routine on vcds that a new dpf was fitted... Although dpf sensors very commonly fail over time due to the extreme temps over the years

Last edited: