A3 Car shaking when stationary

iamwhatiammomo

Reaction score
Hi sorry if this has been posted before but i have a 2008 SE model 1.6 petrol audi a3, when my cars stationary or idle the car shakes or wobbles, which you can clearly feel and i can clearly see the front headlights flicker with the motion of the shaking.. Only when idle car is perfectly fine when driving.

Any ideas of what this can be? Much appreciated

my tdi done this the 2006 2.0tdi none dpf. is it over heating / strugleing to breath ?

It does it when it's dead in the middle on the heat thing on dashboard, sorry not sure what it's called.. its not violent shaking, it shakes like its revving then stops a second then does it again for a second and so on, its only noticeable if you pay attention really.. you can hear the engine make a slight rev type noise i don't know how to explain..

The thing is you can feel it the whole car shakes cause of this & the light flickering is almost impossible to miss, it jolts up and down.. if that helps

limp mode ? my tdi done it but that was nor bad but those engins idle funny anyway.

I'll Google limp mode, lol.. Well my car goes into service soon anyway il let Audi know & see what happens.

on a 1.6 i would guess its a misfire on one of your cylinders. see if you can get someone to do a scan on the car with VCDS and check for any errors on the Engine module.
i have a friend that has a 1.6 and his also shakes quite badly.... on a scan it showed 2 cylinder misfires, though his happens as soon as you start the car.

Hi. My 2.0T was shaking and the dealer reckoned a misfire (showed up on VCDS) caused by a defective rocker cover gasket allowing oil to get into the spark plug. Hence the misfire.

Could be coilpacks starting to go..? - Audi have recently done a recall on them, sure there is a thread on here somewhere, maybe do a search on coilpacks and see if your car is covered under it or alternatively give them a call, provide your reg number and they should advise - i have done this recently.

Also, does not matter if the car is outside of warranty.

Sie

My car also does this at standstill, like a slight judder :/ and also in 5th and 6th gear, more noticible in 6th though, its like its misfiring or something HELPPPP :/

Just rang Audi Preston Sie(SiT) he told me theres nothing coming up on his system on my car based on the coilpacks

i have a 1.6 sport and i have the same problem, i notice the problem isn't as bad when i have my a/c on because my revs go to about 900rpm but when the a/c is off the revs drop to about 600rpm and the problem is much more noticeable,
what does your car idle at and does switching your a/c on and off have the same effect as mine?

i have a 1.6 sport and i have the same problem, i notice the problem isn't as bad when i have my a/c on because my revs go to about 900rpm but when the a/c is off the revs drop to about 600rpm and the problem is much more noticeable,
what does your car idle at and does switching your a/c on and off have the same effect as mine?

on my 2.0 TDI i used to have the same issue, rough idle. when the AC was on it would calm down a little but the rev wouldnt move much. it turned out to be the engine mounts in the end so no actual connection to the Ac, that was just a coincidence as the car puts through slightly more fuel to the engine which calmed down the rumble.

on my 2.0 TDI i used to have the same issue, rough idle. when the AC was on it would calm down a little but the rev wouldnt move much. it turned out to be the engine mounts in the end so no actual connection to the Ac, that was just a coincidence as the car puts through slightly more fuel to the engine which calmed down the rumble.

thanks i will look at the mounts tomorrow when there is light, my problem might be because i am missing a part of my breather pipe so hopefully that will fix the problem (fingers crossed)

May or may not be any help to this post but i have 05 2.0Tdi A4,owned not long,amongst other issues was exactly same idle trait as the original post,would 'rock' from side to side at idle. Today removed EGR/anti shudder valve - absolutely caked...cleaned up and refitted...75% improvement,easily.I was begining to think that was how it was supposed to be.I also had a 'kangaroo' effect at 2000-2200rpm in 2nd (only that gear and those revs) MOST of the time...that seems to have gone completely...

May or may not be any help to this post but i have 05 2.0Tdi A4,owned not long,amongst other issues was exactly same idle trait as the original post,would 'rock' from side to side at idle. Today removed EGR/anti shudder valve - absolutely caked...cleaned up and refitted...75% improvement,easily.I was begining to think that was how it was supposed to be.I also had a 'kangaroo' effect at 2000-2200rpm in 2nd (only that gear and those revs) MOST of the time...that seems to have gone completely...

by kangaroo effect do you mean, it jumps up and then drops down & to rising as normal? mine seems to do that noticed that about 2 weeks ago, thought it was normal