A3 Buying advice

mac_daddy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a newbie here. Currently looking at getting the new shape Audi A3 sportback and wanted some more information

I will most likely be going for a used early model (54plate/2004 model).

Currently looking at the 1.6 FSI engine, but not sure what this engine unit is like and whether it is a wise choice?! Can anyone who owns one with this engine please share what they think of it. Would they recommend going for this model?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

Hi,

I had my A4 in for a service last week and was given one of these for the day. I did about 300 miles in it and the engine was smooth and very quiet however it seemed to me to be completely gutless and revved very high on the motorway at 80, the mpg seemed low. My A4 is a 140 2.0 tdi so there should be a big difference.

I wouldn't go for a 1.6 myself (mainly due to the miles I drive) - Id go for diesel if it was MPG and running costs I was after or a 2.0 petrol if your not in to oil burners - If your just after a run around for town it would work well

We have a 2.0Fsi A3 here, and a 1.6Fsi Golf.
Weird thing is, there is very little difference in performance between the two.
Even weirder is that, in a straight line race between all of the cars down the local dual carriageway, my 140bhp tdi struggles to get past either of them
Straight line performance never tells the whole story though.
Both the Fsi engines are gutless lumps, which need to be revved pretty hard to get anywhere quickly.
They get very tiring to drive because of it.
Of course, if you've only driven an Fsi you probably wouldn't notice.
Once you try a Tdi, with it's more accessable power and torque, you'd certainly notice.

the 1.6 is soon to be replaced with a 1.4Turbo engine, so either wait for that, or jsut get a bigger engine altogether, the 1.6 has actually been criticised for its poor economy for a small engine and its performance

the 2.0TDI is the most popular a3 model so that must say something, there was a new version of the 2.0TDI released with 170bhp but this seems to receieve alot of problems

i own a 3.2 and although its probably over the top in what you're after, its a BEAST, just wanted to share that, thanks

killa_z said:
the 1.6 has actually been criticised for its poor economy for a small engine and its performance

Undoubtedly because you drive everywhere with your foot to the floor.
They'd be as well replacing the throttle with an on/off switch.

bowfer said:

Very odd comment Bowfer. Killa's comment doesn't suggest a personal experience, but criticism from other sources like the media!

consilio said:
Very odd comment Bowfer. Killa's comment doesn't suggest a personal experience, but criticism from other sources like the media!

I don't think bowfer was making a personal comment to killa_z but merely making a general statement based on his own experience, one which I found pretty funny lol.

:nyah:

mac_daddy said:
Currently looking at the 1.6 FSI engine, but not sure what this engine unit is like and whether it is a wise choice?! Can anyone who owns one with this engine please share what they think of it. Would they recommend going for this model?

I had a 1.6fsi, its ok, 6 gears give it great MPG on the motorway that are comparable to a diesel, hasnt got much grunt however and is a bit slow especially if youve got people/stuff in the car too, also driving round town MPG was 'ok' but lower than most due to it being slow/always having to give it some welly.

A 54-plate A3 with this engine wont be cheap I think unless its got high miles, Id get a 55-plate 1.9 tdi if I was you, better engine and newer shape grill, shouldnt cost much more but you'll save money on fuel and it will hold its value better for the future

Also try and get reverse parking sensors and Symphony II radio with the changer built into the dash, pretty good options IMO but when the car was new wouldnt of cost that much so shouldnt send the price up unlike say leather or satnav.

bowfer said:

its that bad? good thing i never have driven one then!