A3 "Aux-in"

Davidb67

Reaction score
Had a courtesy A3 yesterday and gave the Aux-in a try with my iPod.
Found it VERY quiet - checked the volume levels on the head unit which was about two-thirds, and my iPod volume was up around 80%...
can anyone with a recent A3 (i.e. with the now-standard "aux-in" 3.5mm socket) confirm if this "normal".

ahem.... haven't tried it yet. Will try and get to Maplin for a lead and let you know

When did they add the aux-in, then? Mine was built in Oct/Nov 2007, so a bit miffed it wasn't included.

Anyone know if it's available as something the dealers can add on (I've got the Symphony head unit) ?

Were you using the headphone-out socket on your i-pod (jack plug to jack plug) or multipin to jack plug?

Mr_P said:
When did they add the aux-in, then? Mine was built in Oct/Nov 2007, so a bit miffed it wasn't included.

Anyone know if it's available as something the dealers can add on (I've got the Symphony head unit) ?
week 47/48 from recollection (thread somewhere else) - mine was 48 and here was where I first found out

Does the stereo have an 'AUX IN' volume setting?
Not to be confused with the normal volume setting.
I know BMW's stereos have this, as many people complain of low i-pod volumes.
The standard setting appears to be -3, with most people finding +3 works fine.
You access the 'AUX IN' volume setting by pressing the audio button.
Perhaps the Audi has something similar?
Maybe time to RTFM?

yeah, you need to wack up the aux level to full ... its 5 in mine (BM) I 'assume' the audi stereo has a similar setting?

Davidb67 said:
and my iPod volume was up around 80%...
you will find that "line level" volume on an ipod is up around 95% volume. i have a pocketdock aux-out adapter, plugging the ipod into mixing equipment using that i get a proper line level signal, but a similar level is achieved only up around 95% volume through the headphone jack.
(the aux-out adapter pumps out line level audio regardless of the volume setting)

I believe Belkin do some sort of amplified aux-in connection too?