A3 automatics, any thoughts good or bad.

paul_r

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a newer A3 2.0 tdi and have seen an auto for sale, steptronic. In general is the automatic gearbox on the A3 seen as a good one (like Mercedes) or something to be avoided. I've never had an auto before, thought it might be fun.

Checking the figures, combined for a diesel is 48mpg, same manual is 52mpg.

Have a look at the thread a few further down. I didn't think Mercedes used double clutch or have only recently started to? Hence the older ones I've been in take an age to change?

DSG : What does everyone think

have seen an auto for sale, steptronic.

steps2.jpg

Reactions: Pauljamescaton
Anyway, today i test drove two 1 series, a Merc Coupe and an A3 steptronic.

Mercedes C220CDi 2006, very rough, noisy engine and it seemed 5 years behind everyone else in diesel technology.
BMW 1 series, very quiet engine, but there is just something about them i dont like. Cant quite pin it down, but they are very unsexy, even dull.
A3 Steptronic, nice auto gearbox and nice early change up in gears. Not the quietest engine, but an effortless drive. The one i wanted had been sold an hour before i arrived. Shame.

I have a 170 s-tronic, when it's not in limp mode it's been nice to drive, picks up well and changes really smoothly. The steering wheel controls come in handy fairly often too. Only slight down side is the sport mode, bit more of a chore to engage than I've had previously, don't expect i'll need it once it's been remapped though - my DPF blocked so i'm having it removed and tuned. I can't comment too much on mpg with the issues mines had constantly trying, and failing, to regenerate the DPF but it's given really good mpg on motorway trips so far.

I'm averaging 50mpg (brimmed tank, 56mpg on the DIS). The DSG is my first auto and I wouldn't have anything else in a diesel after having a manual BMW diesel before.

As for the 1 series. Don't do it! The wife had one and it was the worst car we've ever owned.

I'm confused here.

S- tronic is dsg, just Audi branding for the vw product. It is not an automatic it is based on a manual with two electronically operated clutches on a coax input shaft.

Conventional autos are a different design and have an epicyclic gearbox and a torque converter.

The s tronic or twin clutch is th future. Lots of pros of auto and manual rolled in to one.

Mercedes twin clutch s only available on some models, top end amgs and the sls and it's nowhere nearvasvgood yet.

Do not confuse an s-tronic with a Steptronic or tiptronic. It's the twin clutch terminology you need to look out for.

Okay, and what sort of real life mpg do people get. My A3 2.0 TDI maunal 2005 i get 56.3 driving sensibly, mostly motorway.

Is that 56.3 on the DIS or the ACTUAL mpg? The DIS is more than a little optimistic in my experience. I've got approximately 50mpg ACTUAL from my TDi 140 DSG over the last 2000 miles with a mixture of town and motorway. That's driving sensibly most of the time up here in hilly, windy Scotland.

Is that 56.3 on the DIS or the ACTUAL mpg? The DIS is more than a little optimistic in my experience. I've got approximately 50mpg ACTUAL from my TDi 140 DSG over the last 2000 miles with a mixture of town and motorway. That's driving sensibly most of the time up here in hilly, windy Scotland.
Actual.