A3 8Y Headlight washer

mustafab97

Reaction score
Does the 2021 A3 8Y S line come with headlight washers? How can i check and how do i operate them?
Thanks

I was under the impression that only Edition 1 and Vorsprung have these washers, though all trim levels have the washer 'covers' and probably just empty underneath. Or maybe it was only the matrix LEDs that had them (which come as standard with Edition 1 and Vorsprung), I'm sure someone who has S-line Matrix LEDs can confirm this. Or S-line regular projector LEDs. In the Sport trim LEDs (reflector) definately no washers!

Reactions: mustafab97
I have an S-Line with matrix lights and it is fitted with headlamp washers. They operate automatically on first use of the windscreen washers (and then again after a certain number of repeat washes) when the dipped or main beams are switched on.

You can tell when they work as you can see a little spray up over the bonnet and the shadow of the water in the headlight beams. (Or, if someone is standing in front of the car, they’ll see the spray heads pop up.)

You can tell when they work as you can see a little spray up over the bonnet and the shadow of the water in the headlight beams. (Or, if someone is standing in front of the car, they’ll see the spray heads pop up.)
Or when pedestrians get too close to your front crossing at night :) Seeing them jump away means they are def working!

I have an S Line with standard headlights, i'm pretty sure I don't have them, at least I haven't noticed them. I'm sure it was a legal requirement for OEM LED headlights to come standard with headlight washers though :think:

I have an S Line with standard headlights, i'm pretty sure I don't have them, at least I haven't noticed them. I'm sure it was a legal requirement for OEM LED headlights to come standard with headlight washers though :think:
err...LEDs no, at least not if they are under 2000lumens or maybe it was 2500, not sure on low beams. I'm assuming Matrix LEDs are, considering so many LED units?
Most Bi-xenons do, as they are usually 3000 + lumens, though the latter D8R/S bulbs that were 25 watts were not required as under or around 2k lumens. Most LED high beam are more than 2k lumens anyway but those do not apply as far as I know...

Reactions: mustafab97 and Ludus
I'm sure it was a legal requirement for OEM LED headlights to come standard with headlight washers though :think:

I think the legal requirement is that lights that are above a certain brightness need washers to prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic. Which is interesting as that suggests that the standard LED lights might not be as bright as the matrix lights? I don’t remember that being mentioned in the sales brochure though.

I used to have a Seat Ibiza with Bi-Xenon (D1S) and had washers, didn't find them any Brighter than my Volvo V40s LED lights (no washers). However I do find them brighter than my reflector LED headlights on the A3 Sport though.

So I assume i don't have the washers since i never saw them operate . And i assume these are the projector LEDs (S line) that don't come with washers?
Thanks for the replies
Screenshot 20211130 214143 Photos

I usually manually clean them everytime I refuel (and as I usually only refuel £25-30 at a go, that's at least once a month). A sponge with water spray bottle and microfiber to dry will do a much better job than just the spray from headlight washers. This is my experience from the previous two cars I've had with washers! Although I understand their usefulness in artic conditions where snow will build up on headlights on journies (plus LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt the snow/ice away), thus these are super useful.