Facelift A3 8V Sportback Sport - Suspension Question

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Recently bought my missus an A3 8V in scuba blue. It is a sportback Sport, which comes with sport suspension. The previous owner had the car sit a bit higher and I wanted to lower it just tad bit. With the current gap between the wheels and the arches I am sure I will be fit in all of my neighbours for our next garden party :wtf:

I called Oxford Audi (don't know why I did as they are a complete waste of time) and they said they don't offer ride height adjustment - makes you wonder why the fock would Audi even mention it as an option if the dealerships can't do it.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you helpful lot how easy it is and is it really something:

1- an Audi dealership would do
2- if so, who would you guys recommend (I am Oxford based)
3- Will it affect the ride at all? Currently, I am happy with how comfortable it is but definitely not happy with the height.

Would appreciate your help.

Ta' muchly.

I called Oxford Audi (don't know why I did as they are a complete waste of time) and they said they don't offer ride height adjustment - makes you wonder why the fock would Audi even mention it as an option if the dealerships can't do it.
I've never seen Audi offer ride height adjustment as an option. It's fixed at either dynamic, sport (-15mm) or s-line (-25mm)

1- an Audi dealership would do
2- if so, who would you guys recommend (I am Oxford based)
3- Will it affect the ride at all? Currently, I am happy with how comfortable it is but definitely not happy with the height.

Would appreciate your help.

Ta' muchly.

1. No. Factory build option. Too much work/liability/consequence for a local dealer.
3. Yes. Moving to s-line from sport would firm up the ride even more.

I've never seen Audi offer ride height adjustment as an option. It's fixed at either dynamic, sport (-15mm) or s-line (-25mm)

1. No. Factory build option. Too much work/liability/consequence for a local dealer.
3. Yes. Moving to s-line from sport would firm up the ride even more.

Cheers mate. Maybe I misunderstood/read the ad then as it said deselecting was a no-cost upgrade and maybe it is something that is done when factory ordering the car. I assumed if it be 'deselcted' it can also be put back down again at a little cost.

So, Eibach Prokit is the only option to lower it then. And I promised myself I won't spend a penny on modifying this one as it is our DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put some massive profile tyres on it..!!

Reactions: V6_Man
Put some massive profile tyres on it..!!

@GaryP like them ones

79d3890b2fed015ac513f6880a4ee266.jpeg

How is the 'R' doing?

The R is awesome @Tashfeen..!!

Very fast for what it costs, and a surprisingly quality feel to it, especially ride wise.

Paint must be very soft as getting a few stone chips already.

The fake cabin noise is just daft. I’m sure the new S4’s have some fake noise generator now too tho!

Tempted to try a JB tuning box. Guys on R forum reckon about 360bhp with one of those on and probably approaching sub 4s 0-60. But a standing start even without LC is highly impressive stock!

Scared the living daylights out of my old man the other week. He was not impressed by it at all..!!!

Reactions: V6_Man
Cheers mate. Maybe I misunderstood/read the ad then as it said deselecting was a no-cost upgrade and maybe it is something that is done when factory ordering the car. I assumed if it be 'deselcted' it can also be put back down again at a little cost.

So, Eibach Prokit is the only option to lower it then. And I promised myself I won't spend a penny on modifying this one as it is our DD

It’s not just ride height, it’s suspension as well. So they are quite different underneath, not just an adjustment.
Guess they can offer free option because the two setups cost the same, although there are multiple parts different.

It’s not just ride height, it’s suspension as well. So they are quite different underneath, not just an adjustment.
Guess they can offer free option because the two setups cost the same, although there are multiple parts different.

Cheers @RichardT, I do understand the concept and the difference between ride height and suspension however, I think I am having one of those moments

If it is a 'factory' option then why would a dealer mark it as an available 'up/downgrade' on a used car. See below the option listed with the A3 Sports (including with the one I bought). The dealership I bought it from were willing to offer it however, I wasn't willing to wait. So, they asked me book it with Oxford Audi and that they will reimburse the costs.

358c1cd262b2354bdc9d085e6b5bccf8.jpg

Cheers @RichardT, I do understand the concept and the difference between ride height and suspension however, I think I am having one of those moments

If it is a 'factory' option then why would a dealer mark it as an available 'up/downgrade' on a used car. See below the option listed with the A3 Sports (including with the one I bought). The dealership I bought it from were willing to offer it however, I wasn't willing to wait. So, they asked me book it with Oxford Audi and that they will reimburse the costs.

358c1cd262b2354bdc9d085e6b5bccf8.jpg

I think the dealer has just copied and pasted the spec of the new car across to give the information about the used one. It is clearly not going to be a free option to remove and replace shocks and springs on a used car. They shouldn't have put that against a used car but whether that leaves them open to having to do it for you FOC , I don't know. I guess if you claimed you only bought the car because you had seen that information on their website you might have a chance, but I'm sure they will do their best to wriggle out of it.

I think the dealer has just copied and pasted the spec of the new car across to give the information about the used one. It is clearly not going to be a free option to remove and replace shocks and springs on a used car. They shouldn't have put that against a used car but whether that leaves them open to having to do it for you FOC , I don't know. I guess if you claimed you only bought the car because you had seen that information on their website you might have a chance, but I'm sure they will do their best to wriggle out of it.

Cheers mate. I guess I now know where the dealership as well as I got it wrong. So, I believe the car had the sport suspension 'deselcted' from the factory. And rather than showing it was not available, like you said the dealership copy/pasted the information. This is why I too was slightly perplexed when I asked them if suspension and ride height was Sport and lowered they said no but it can be done. And I was like, fine if it can be as it involves someone paying for it and that will definitely not be me. Let’s see if I can get money from them for Eibachs when I call them tomorrow

The R is awesome @Tashfeen..!!

Very fast for what it costs, and a surprisingly quality feel to it, especially ride wise.

Paint must be very soft as getting a few stone chips already.

The fake cabin noise is just daft. I’m sure the new S4’s have some fake noise generator now too tho!

Tempted to try a JB tuning box. Guys on R forum reckon about 360bhp with one of those on and probably approaching sub 4s 0-60. But a standing start even without LC is highly impressive stock!

Scared the living daylights out of my old man the other week. He was not impressed by it at all..!!!

That would be epic @GaryP. I'd suggest you go for it.

Lol@ the old man. Mine was the same although I did hear him telling few if his friends how exciting the experience was