A3 8V Sportback - Instrument and MMI backlight "flickering"

Starflex

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my Audi, that has been unresolved for quite a while already.

In essence, when it's getting dark (e.g. sunset) the backlight of the navigator and the instrumentation struggle to find the correct setting. It keeps "flickering", from brighter to darker.

Is it a normal behaviour? It does it regardless the light on or off - but only when outside is darkisd (sunset or sunrise.. or entering into a garage).

I would call the internal light sensors (the one next to the roof lights - ah, I do not have the interior light packet, so standard one), but does anyone have experienced something similar?

Not seen this behaviour myself. The sensor which looks after the MMI display and instrument brightness is located somewhere within the dash panel insert (clocks / dials), I am not sure where. But as an example the virtual cockpit sensor is located in the top right of the water temp display, hence why RHD vehicles have brightness issues:

2015 audi a3 retrofitted with virtual cockpit other facelift features 112286 1

Edit: If you have them the sensor located at the base of the rear view mirror controls Auto Lights and Wipers only, and the sensor on the rear of the mirror is for auto dimming of the mirror and side mirrors only.

Mmmhhh....My sensors are definitely in the roof reading light panel: if I point a flashlight (incandescent) to the sensors, it adjusts immediately the instrument brightness - and definitely the light is not going to the dash panel. Even if I switch on the reading light and I do a sort of "cup" with my hands to direct the light to the sensors, brightness changes.

I am in Australia, perhaps this particular is different for whatever reasons.
Anyway, there must be something wrong if you say that you have not experienced this issue with your car!

Attachments

• Audi.jpg
    Audi.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 451
Mmmhhh....My sensors are definitely in the roof reading light panel: if I point a flashlight (incandescent) to the sensors, it adjusts immediately the instrument brightness - and definitely the light is not going to the dash panel. Even if I switch on the reading light and I do a sort of "cup" with my hands to direct the light to the sensors, brightness changes.

I am in Australia, perhaps this particular is different for whatever reasons.
Anyway, there must be something wrong if you say that you have not experienced this issue with your car!
Those would be your alarms movements detectors. No light sensors in the dome lights:

Screen Shot 2017 05 28 at 095732 squashed Screen Shot 2017 05 28 at 095739 squashed Screen Shot 2017 05 28 at 095744 squashed Screen Shot 2017 05 28 at 095749 squashed

Reactions: Starflex
Just checked - you are right, the sensor is in the dashboard, as it is definitely responsive when I point a flashlight to the area you indicated.

Damn it, I really hope they do not have to change the full instrumentation...

Just checked - you are right, the sensor is in the dashboard, as it is definitely responsive when I point a flashlight to the area you indicated.

Damn it, I really hope they do not have to change the full instrumentation...
I did check within the parts catalogue to see if there was a "photo sensor" or alike available as an individual part but unfortunatly the combi instrument cluster is a complete / sealed unit. This would suggest a complete "unit" swap as there is no procedure listed for the changing of the sensor only.

It's going to be fun.

It was already really hard to show what the problem was (as it does it only at certain time / with a certain external light), and they could not locate the problem (they tried first with reprogramming the unit, then replacing the whole MMI -which solved another problem)..and now I have to point them towards the unit.
Thanks for your help, you really shed some light (!) on it!

Reactions: DJAlix
When this occured with the a4 vc I believe they released a software fix for it...

That would be the most sensible solution. The sensor works, just need to understand that ir cannot adjust the backlight for every istantaneous backlight variation.
I have been told that one soft update was already done, actually. Not sure, at this point, if they targeted the right function...

I am having exactly the same on my S4, 4 months and 5000 miles and Audi are still messing about saying they have never seen this and not sure what it is.
I have had to video the fault on numerous occasions, the dealer has had the car overnight to see the fault for themselves. Finally an answer back from Audi “it’s the ambient light sensor hunting for a level” errr yes “so what are you going to do about it”
Getting jaded by Audi customer service it’s a joke, I seem to be doing the running around for them, getting very close to visiting other marques and testing the water to see if it’s worth swapping out, having serious concerns about being left high and dry should something serious go wrong.

It would be easier for them to try to replace the light sensor initially.

I have seen mine change brightness but not in a way that is concerning.

I can accept changing brightness but this display is plain faulty, it flickers and has a scrolling bars pattern like a 1050's TV.

Currently awaiting a call from the garage and part of me thinks they will say its normal, if so, I will video it using a proper camera not a phone.

Had a phone call, Audi want to replace the dash, I questioned “do you mean the VC” and they replied no, it sounds like the dash as they want the car a couple of days :scared2:

Mine does this in any light. It flickers when driving and distracts you.

The car is going in soon to get the notchy and occasionally whining gearbox and the intermittently sticking on handbrake checked out.

They are also checking the have maps as it shows the wrong speed limit on some roads.

Ah, so widespread problem. Well, not that good then. I need the car to be serviced soon, I think I will raise these point for the Nth time and aks the dashboard or instrumentation to be replaced.

The car is going in soon to get the notchy and occasionally whining gearbox and the intermittently sticking on handbrake checked out.

That's interesting, what do you exactly mean with this? Mine sometimes make a funny noise and give a bump/kick while on the ramp to leave the garage (very low speed)

Ah, so widespread problem. Well, not that good then. I need the car to be serviced soon, I think I will raise these point for the Nth time and aks the dashboard or instrumentation to be replaced.

That's interesting, what do you exactly mean with this? Mine sometimes make a funny noise and give a bump/kick while on the ramp to leave the garage (very low speed)

The gearbox is notchy/clicky going into gear especially 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Occasionally if cruising along a very smooth/quiet bit of road and just keeping very slight gas on to keep the speed I can hear a faint whining noise. I notice it in 5th mostly. It's maybe just the tyres but disappears if you take your foot off the accelerator. I got the car with just over 9000 miles on it and it has always done it. It's on 12000 miles now and not got any better.

Now the mmi is flickering and the handbrake is intermittently sticking too, I need to get it all checked out.