A3 8v sat nav sd card

Ben Lawrence

Reaction score
Hi guys

Need some help on which sd card to buy for my car

I checked the menu and it says the sat nav is activated so from what I've read it's just a case of buying the card
My cars a 2l tdi s line on a 62 plate.
Do I need a specific card for it?
Can anyone shed any light on this please

Cheers

Reactions: pburv
You need to do a search on here. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to buy a card and have it work.
Dealer has to ativate.

If like you said the sat nav is already activated and I assume the card is missing then if I was you I would ask your local dealer to supply a new card.It's bound to be cheaper than asking them to do a complete install. I've heard figures of up to £500 plus labour in having it activated from scratch...It will cost you nothing to ask...:friends:

Reactions: Daytonapig and Rob2k68
Yes I'm guessing the card is missing as I bought it second hand

I read on here and checked the menu and it come up as the one below and others have said that its activated and just the card is missing but only certain ones work (apparently)
I'll pop down to my local Audi and see if they can help

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    391.5 KB · Views: 727
Yes I'm guessing the card is missing as I bought it second hand

I read on here and checked the menu and it come up as the one below and others have said that its activated and just the card is missing but only certain ones work (apparently)
I'll pop down to my local Audi and see if they can help
Good luck mate..Let us know what they say...:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yep dealer will be the best bet I'm afraid - if it's anything like the SD nav I had in my Seat Leon then the card is somehow encrypted to the car it wouldn't let me plug in another genuine brand new card nor would it let me overwrite the original card data with the latest maps.

Yep dealer will be the best bet I'm afraid - if it's anything like the SD nav I had in my Seat Leon then the card is somehow encrypted to the car it wouldn't let me plug in another genuine brand new card nor would it let me overwrite the original card data with the latest maps.
Crafty B**gers....:gun2:

Reactions: Scottyg and Rob2k68
card seems to be encrypted with a combination of chassis number and serial number of the card....cant use the card in another car, nor make a backup to use in the original vehicle. yet.

Reactions: pburv, Daytonapig and Rob2k68
card seems to be encrypted with a combination of chassis number and serial number of the card....cant use the card in another car, nor make a backup to use in the original vehicle. yet.
I like the YET bit

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Hi, i was in same boat as you - sat nav activated but no sd card when i bought the car. Dealer wanted £300+ to do their thing.

I bought a 2015 sd card off ebay for £45 - didnt work (sold it on, back on ebay to get money back)

I bought a 2013 sd card off ebay for £30 (same year as my car) It works great and has been for 2-3months!

Unless i got really jammy somehow - Its worth trying? Buy the same year sd card as your car before trying dealer route you dont have anything to loose - make sure serial number starts '8V0' too

Hi guys

Need some help on which sd card to buy for my car

I checked the menu and it says the sat nav is activated so from what I've read it's just a case of buying the card
My cars a 2l tdi s line on a 62 plate.
Do I need a specific card for it?
Can anyone shed any light on this please

Cheers
i wa

Interesting.... This flies in the face of most experiences.
I'm sure the fact still remains that a £30 card off eBay won't work in a car that has never had sat nav.
I wish!!!

Ah yeah if the car has never had sat nav you have got no chance and are looking at crazy money from the dealership!

But if your car has had sat nav in the past and when sold someone has removed the sd card - small glimmer of hope there if you get jammy like me and it only costs 30quid!

Interesting.... This flies in the face of most experiences.
I'm sure the fact still remains that a £30 card off eBay won't work in a car that has never had sat nav.
I wish!!!
-

How can I check if my car has the sat nav "activated"? I don't have an SD card but I'd like to see if it's activated before I try buying a card.

Go into the MMI and search for NAV. If it doesn't ask you to insert card, you're on to plumbs.

Hi, i was in same boat as you - sat nav activated but no sd card when i bought the car. Dealer wanted £300+ to do their thing.

I bought a 2015 sd card off ebay for £45 - didnt work (sold it on, back on ebay to get money back)

I bought a 2013 sd card off ebay for £30 (same year as my car) It works great and has been for 2-3months!

Unless i got really jammy somehow - Its worth trying? Buy the same year sd card as your car before trying dealer route you dont have anything to loose - make sure serial number starts '8V0' too

That's awesome news bud! I'll definitely keep a look out for some cards. Mines a 62plate so the very first ones made. Would I have to get a 2013 SD card? Or 2012
Certainly is worth trying that over a £300 bill just to get the sat nav working lol
Just stick to the Tom Tom in the glove box

That's awesome news bud! I'll definitely keep a look out for some cards. Mines a 62plate so the very first ones made. Would I have to get a 2013 SD card? Or 2012
Certainly is worth trying that over a £300 bill just to get the sat nav working lol
Just stick to the Tom Tom in the glove box

I managed to up-date my nav with an sd card from Argos. Downloaded the map from ''Audi connect'' & inserted the card into the hard drive in the glove box & it all downloaded.

I managed to up-date my nav with an sd card from Argos. Downloaded the map from ''Audi connect'' & inserted the card into the hard drive in the glove box & it all downloaded.
But had the car already been set up for sat nav and just didn't have a card?

Reactions: Raul_sbd
Hello S3,

Did you had originally tech pack? or just sd card nav system? I have the 2015 nav maps ... will it work if I try the same method you used in order to get the 2016 up to date maps? How do i get Audi connect without tech pack?

Many thanks

But had the car already been set up for sat nav and just didn't have a card?

Only works for Tech pack equipped cars (HD nav).

Reactions: RS3 S., pburv and Raul_sbd
So can anyone tell me how I can check if my car has had nav activated in the past please?:shrug: