A3 8V Hatchback - Any experience with roof bars?

HazzaH

Reaction score
Just bought some mint secondhand genuine roof bars for a sportback. Yes, even though I own a hatchback, they were cheap so thought I could make them fit. Plus they cam with two genuine cycle carriers.

Does anyone have a picture of the rear roof bar for a hatch and how it attaches to the car? As the sportback and hatchback fit the same way in the door jam via a locating hole at the front, but unsure at the rear for the hatch.

I have a feeling I can trim the locating pin off the rear bracket as I assume that's how the rear hatchback bar attaches. Or maybe the rear bar is an entirely different length so I may as well get rid of them...

Cheers,
Harry

5 seconds on google...

s-l300.jpg

If you look at the banding around the top of the side window there are some V shaped arrow heads that show where the rear bars should be mounted (easiest seen from inside). & inside the top of the front door frame there is an indent / hole for the front ones. It probably shows the location in the owners handbook too.

I hope they're not roof bars for a S/B with roof rails you've bought!!

Reactions: Ormesome
I think you will need to buy the extra end bits from Thule. Pretty sure you will only be able to use the bars and not the 2 mounting points/legs as they are different. I know this as i ordered some Thule ones and they were wrong so i spent ages fafing around only to discover the guy in the shop gave me the Sportback fittings! What brand are the ones you bought? One the rear bar, the end part attaches under the rubber window surround. The one on the front attaches under the top door sill part (chrome bit). Hope that helps. If you head to the Thule website then you can see which bits you need.

The sportback and hatch are not same fitments. if you bought sportback ones then you need the fittings as per the foto below.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack?q=Y4bfTt6nw

Screen Shot 2017 06 30 at 144658

Reactions: richinsoton
Thank you for your replies. I have indeed seen the picture of the hatchback attached and done research of my own. However, I was struggling to find an actual detailed picture of how the rears are mounted (via locating hole or just clamped in position).

But thanks for the heads up on the indicators on the windows. I have downloaded several fitting PDF guides, however they simply show pulling the trim back and clamping them on for the rears.

The roof bars I have are OEM Audi A3 sportback WITHOUT rails (made sure before buying, with little hope they'd fit). I did think I could just buy a fitting kit like the Thule 1708. However, on close inspection they are not attached the same as the Audi bars. So I'll either lop off the locating pin for the rears or buy some end pieces like above.

Thanks

Hmmm I'm not entirely convinced just cutting off the locating pin will work as I'd assume the angle of the clamping jaw is different on the rear window frame of a 3 dr compared to the angle that they would clamp onto the S/B door frame. Definitely a measure twice cut once situation. Good luck!

Reactions: Ormesome
Yes I agree, I am thinking there could be more 'slope' in the top of the rear window on the hatch, will have to marry it up and see. Although the Thule version fits both (sportback/hatch), so maybe the angle isn't that different.

Cheers!

Reactions: richinsoton
yep, its a no go. as mentioned before, i got given the wrong clamps, fitting kit, whatever you want to call it. the whole angle and length were wrong. The rear window clamps were the parts that were the problem. Like you mention, i think it was the length if i remember correctly. Having said this the details on the Thule website for a Hatch & Sportback are the same so not sure whats wrong there....

So the Audi official bars don't have removable parts?

Last edited:
Yes I agree, I am thinking there could be more 'slope' in the top of the rear window on the hatch, will have to marry it up and see. Although the Thule version fits both (sportback/hatch), so maybe the angle isn't that different.

Cheers!
just looked at mine for my S3 3door and found the manual from roof bar box - maybe some help - I only have a pin on one set of bars :) - never used them though complete with 1 cycle rack - wouldn't mind selling them :) if you're interested

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2279 (2).jpg
    IMG_2279 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg